posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Default light air

Some of my students struggling with light air... Fortunately, the weather
has cooled off, so today should be a bit better. Notice the kayak drifting
faster than they're sailing... :-)

http://sailnow.photosite.com/CSUS6-29-2006/

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Capt. JG wrote:
Some of my students struggling with light air... Fortunately, the weather
has cooled off, so today should be a bit better. Notice the kayak drifting
faster than they're sailing... :-)

http://sailnow.photosite.com/CSUS6-29-2006/

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Man....when the water is that flat here we do not bother. Being a 100
degrees with no breeze makes crappy sailing.

Do you get a regular sea breeze near or after sunset?
Where is that?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

It's on the lake... nothing to do with the bay. Typically, it picks up very
late in the afternoon, so if you really get stranded, you just have to wait.
It's actually called the delta breeze. In the morning it goes in one
direction, then switches 180 late in the day.

In the bay, it's a different story. Typically, light air in the morning,
then as the inland valley heats up, the wind machine kicks in. It can easily
go from 5 kts to 35 kts in a matter of a 1/2 hour.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
Some of my students struggling with light air... Fortunately, the weather
has cooled off, so today should be a bit better. Notice the kayak
drifting
faster than they're sailing... :-)

http://sailnow.photosite.com/CSUS6-29-2006/

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Man....when the water is that flat here we do not bother. Being a 100
degrees with no breeze makes crappy sailing.

Do you get a regular sea breeze near or after sunset?
Where is that?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Capt. Rob wrote:
Man....when the water is that flat here we do not bother. Being a 100
degrees with no breeze makes crappy sailing.

No, that's not what a sailor does. You get out there, hoist the sails
and practice light air with whatever comes.

That would be true if you did not live on the water, I understand your
severe limitations. You lubbers should take full advantage of the
restricted access you have to the water. You need to sit in a
breathless still and waddle yer fat arses back and forth the generate
forward moment. Flap yer flabby arms too, thatta help. Tie a string on
yer kid and have him pull you, whatever.....

I can afford to pick and choose when to sail.

The flat water rarely lasts
and you get valuable lessons on how to make the hull go in all
conditions.

Yeah like getting back in outta the heat.

Of course Joe has a motorsailor, so these fine points are lost on him
and his ultra heavy powersailor. Just turn the key, Joe. It's what you
do best.

Indeed, If Im cruising somewhere that's exactly what I will do, unless
I perfer to drift fish, swim, or have an extreme need to conserve fuel.
Move to the winds and harness them.

To bad your day sailor is not a real Sailors boat and devoid of all
engines. Face it bubbles you have an underpowered motor sailor, with
heavy AC's that are usless underway. At least it's not as pathetic as
Capt. Neal with his stick on egg beater. Get a clue bonehead.

Capt Joe... to you

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I can understand why, with the conditions you generally experience in
that
end of the Sound at this time of year,

Dave, do you know of what you speak? In the last few years we've had
very very few of those days. Winds have been brisk. Everyone seems to
think that the weather patern is far different. The only flat water
I've seen is when I did a tow last Sunday to remove a dead dock from
our area.
That said, light air sailing is something folks should know how to do
well. I don't sit at the dock when it does happen. That's for guys with
Motorsailors who call 10 knots light air.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

I noticed the boom slants downward from the mast.

What brand of boat is that?

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Some of my students struggling with light air... Fortunately, the weather
has cooled off, so today should be a bit better. Notice the kayak drifting
faster than they're sailing... :-)

http://sailnow.photosite.com/CSUS6-29-2006/

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Man....when the water is that flat here we do not bother. Being a 100
degrees with no breeze makes crappy sailing.

No, that's not what a sailor does. You get out there, hoist the sails
and practice light air with whatever comes. The flat water rarely lasts
and you get valuable lessons on how to make the hull go in all
conditions.
Of course Joe has a motorsailor, so these fine points are lost on him
and his ultra heavy powersailor. Just turn the key, Joe. It's what you
do best.

Right you are RB! And you practice skiing when there is no snow, long range
target shooting at night, scuba diving on dry land and test drive mini vans
at 110 mph is blinding rain!

Your boat is air conditioned!

I have no air conditionoing and no boat!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Capt. JG wrote:

Some of my students struggling with light air... Fortunately, the weather
has cooled off, so today should be a bit better. Notice the kayak drifting
faster than they're sailing... :-)

http://sailnow.photosite.com/CSUS6-29-2006/

Holder 20? Cool boat, I'd like to find one.

Your students can make a vast improvement with a couple of
easy steps. One is to double check the set of the sails...
looks like the main isn't hoisted all the way. Another easy
thing is to sit to leeward so the boat heels a little, and
allows the sails to take a natural shape. A set of very
light tell-tales helps a LOT, if you don't know which way
the wind is blowing, you can't sail to it. About 8" of audio
tape is great for this... best use for your old disco cassettes!

Interesting set of photos... I've got a whole box of
light-air racing pics I used to study with my crews. Thanks
for posting them.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

The kayak is going at least 10 kts (in his mind I suppose).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cabin Boy Rob wrote:

That's for guys with
Motorsailors who call 10 knots light air.

Hey Bonehead this is not 10kts. Look again
http://sailnow.photosite.com/CSUS6-29-2006/

It's " light air ".

Once you spend a bit of time on the water, perhaps you will not make
such a stupid mistake again.

In your case I suggest you find a book and learn the beaufort scale,
as it's plain as day that you rarely get to judge the wind on water
(bathtub farts do not count). For you I suggest Chapmans. It taylored
to weekend wannabe's like you.

Good luck.

Capt Joe

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

It's probably cause they were over-sheeting the main (typical novice
mistake, but they'll learn). They're both Holder 20s, which have taken a lot
of abuse. Did you notice the duct tape patch on one of them?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

MOB pole light Roger Long Cruising 6 March 22nd 06 05:41 PM
OT [(or is it) humor] Bryan General 0 March 1st 06 06:15 AM
Putting a navigation light on a jon boat stern [email protected] General 11 February 5th 06 06:45 AM
Retro-fit to Self tailing winches Watski Wincher Self-Tailers Mic Cruising 6 November 18th 05 04:31 AM
35s5 a light air dog? Jeff ASA 8 November 16th 05 02:12 AM