Mic

Default Retro-fit to Self tailing winches Watski Wincher Self-Tailers

http://www.boats4sale.co.nz/wincher.htm

Molded rubber Wincher slips over the top flange of any nontailing
winch, giving you the benefits of a self-tailing winch for a lot less
money

Special ribs on the underside grip the top turn, allowing the tail to
peel away after drum rotation

When winched home, the tail can be tucked into the ribbed groove
between top and bottom flanges, keeping friction secure on the drum

http://www.boatbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9509
Click here to visit a forum that discusses
"The Wincher" as a topic

http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.... threadid=2633
Self Tailing Winches
XXXXXXXXX

I wondered if a reg. winch could be retrofitted to a self tailing
version. So the above is the info. I have found

Mic - sailing in 1967

A litle off topic, why are they called watski, do they have anyting to
do with watski.com ?

I could imagine that Andersen winches might be retrofitted, because
they do make small custum solutions. But I do not think you will have
such luck with Lewmar og Harken.

Cah

Mic

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:06:05 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

They have been around a long time and don't work worth a damn, at
least not on my boat back in the 70s. Sometimes there's really just
nothing like the real thing, and bargain short cuts seldom work very
well on boats in spite of all the slick claims made for them.

Mic, you do people no favor by publicly advocating these half assed
solutions that you have probably not tried yourself.

Well the post I made about this topic was not advocating anything, nor
should any of my posts be considered as such. They are just part of
my fairly extensive research on sailing topics I am interested in and
on some topics I have gone though hundreds of links. I
post the links to the info. I am researching and
maybe someone has something to add or their interests are similar.

As I recall this is discussion on the topic from those with
experience.

http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.... threadid=2633
Self Tailing Winches

Quote from the above thread.
"Here's a question. Why has no company designed a retro fit tailing
device that would fit a non-tailing winch. Surely there must be a way
and surely a large market. The cost of buying self tailers are just
horrendouse."

Response:
"They have them over here. Blue plastic things you put over the top of
the winch. People that have them say they work pretty good."

"They do make them but they don't provide for the pickoff arm that a
normal self tailing winch has. I have some friends who tried them and
removed them after a while because they did not work very well. All
they are is a rubber doughnut that fits over the top of the winch -
pretty simple really but certainly do not work as well as an
engineered self tailer."

Did you read this link?

Also do you consider the following statement to be advocacy?

I wondered if a reg. winch could be retrofitted to a self tailing
version. So the above is the info. I have found

Thank you for your contribution to this topic.

Fair winds and calm seas - Mic

And now for some entertainment.....

How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6
to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is
"lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light
bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take
this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light
bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to
this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including
all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they
cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
start it all over again.

Personally I think it takes 32, not 36
to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior
......but then again thats only my opinion...:}

I've seen these devices recently and wondered how well they work...
thanks for inviting discussion.
Jim

MMC

Mic,
I appreciate your posts. I check all the headers and some interest me and
some don't.
Just like the posts to the news group by others, some interest me and some
don't.
MMC

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:12:49 GMT, "MMC" wrote:

Mic,
I appreciate your posts. I check all the headers and some interest me and
some don't.
Just like the posts to the news group by others, some interest me and some
don't.
MMC

Its always nice to know you are appreciated;}

Well there are a couple of reasons why I publish various sailing
links, which I have mentioned already. It is not to advocate anything
but to share knowledge on sailing/boating and possible have some
discussion that is useful and constructive.

For example with the windlass links I posted I went through over 800
links to determine ones that I found relevant. And it is a joy to
share the benefit of the time I spent researching sailing topics I am
interested in with other interested people. 56k dialup at that.

Whatever your level of experience there is always more to learn or
review.

So many have freely given so much that adds to or enhances the sailing
experience I have about 4 gig of it archived.

Thanks
Mic