Jeff

Default 35s5 a light air dog?

I was looking for VPP's and Polars and ran into this:

http://www.scora.org/amcaptavar.pdf

This shows how ratings should be adjusted for light and heavy air,
using the new Americap system. PHRF is assumed accurate at 11 knots,
and adjustments calculated for 6 and 20 knots are shown in the last
columns. The two examples explained are an Alberg 35, which needs a
big boost in light air and a reduced handicap in heavy, while the
J-125 is the opposite, deserving less handicap in light and more in heavy.

For the 35s5, a large 24 sec/mile additional handicap is needed to
help it keep up with the fleet in light air, while it only out
performs by 7 seconds in heavy. Perhaps this wasn't the best choice
for light air.
Capt. Rob

Glad you posted this. I just started an interesting thread on the 35s5
and will post the link to it and the responses in a little while.
Suffice to say I'm even more happy with our choice today....especially
after hearing how well the 35s5 does in light to moderate air. It's
heavy air that can cause trouble for the wing version. You're so busy
trolling, you missed the actual point to attack!

And we sailed the 35s5 in ultra light air, 3-8 knots....just perfect!
Mylar rocks!

RB
35s5...the best light air boat here!
NY

Bob Crantz

The light air handicap for the 35s5 is much greater, percentage wise than
the handicap for the Catalina 27.

What do you think causes the 35s5 to fall off so sharply in light air? Is it
the semi planing hull form that does poorly in light air displacement mode?
Semi planing hulls are known to be unstable when pushed to high speeds and
now they are bad performers under light air? Who would buy a boat with such
a narrow range of performance? Why is it so difficult to get it to perform?

Amen!

"Jeff" wrote in message
I was looking for VPP's and Polars and ran into this:

http://www.scora.org/amcaptavar.pdf

This shows how ratings should be adjusted for light and heavy air,
using the new Americap system. PHRF is assumed accurate at 11 knots,
and adjustments calculated for 6 and 20 knots are shown in the last
columns. The two examples explained are an Alberg 35, which needs a
big boost in light air and a reduced handicap in heavy, while the
J-125 is the opposite, deserving less handicap in light and more in heavy.

For the 35s5, a large 24 sec/mile additional handicap is needed to
help it keep up with the fleet in light air, while it only out
performs by 7 seconds in heavy. Perhaps this wasn't the best choice
for light air.

Capt. Scumbalino

Capt. Rob wrote:

Mylar rocks!

And falls apart rather quickly.

--
Capt Scumbalino

Capt. Rob

Mylar rocks!

And falls apart rather quickly.

So? That's what money is for! Try getting some!

Bwahahahahahaha!

RB
35s5
NY

rgnmstr

Mylar rocks!

Wow, welcome to the 20th century. Oh yea it's the 21st century. The
Boobs previous boats had cotton.

DSK

Mylar rocks!

rgnmstr wrote:
Wow, welcome to the 20th century. Oh yea it's the 21st century. The
Boobs previous boats had cotton.

Stuffed in his ears?

DSK

Jeff

Sorry Bob, you're mis-reading this. The Americap rating for the 35s5
implies that you boat is such a dog in light air it needs and
additional handicap. In other words, your true light air rating is
over 150.

You may be happy with its light air performance, but that just means
you don't actually know enough to understand how slow it is. I've
heard Mac 26X owners are happy with their boats light air performance
also. When the Pearsons and O'Days pass you in light air, you'll
remember this. Now I'm thinking that my PDQ could probably blow you
away even in light air.

I found it curious that J24 had an enormous light air handicap, but
I've never been impressed with them, compared to other J's.

Capt. Rob wrote:
Glad you posted this. I just started an interesting thread on the 35s5
and will post the link to it and the responses in a little while.
Suffice to say I'm even more happy with our choice today....especially
after hearing how well the 35s5 does in light to moderate air. It's
heavy air that can cause trouble for the wing version. You're so busy
trolling, you missed the actual point to attack!

And we sailed the 35s5 in ultra light air, 3-8 knots....just perfect!
Mylar rocks!

RB
35s5...the best light air boat here!
NY

Bob Crantz

It appears the C&C 35 is better in light air than the 35s5 and worse in
stronger winds.

Is it possible that Swabbie's 35s5 is no better than his previous boat in
light air?

The only performance difference is in 10+ knots of wind?

Didn't he buy the boat for light air performance?

What did he gain for $64,500 when he could have the same performance (light
air) in his previous boat for only $17,000 invested?

Sounds strange to me. Good work Jeff.

Amen!

Capt. Rob wrote:
Glad you posted this. I just started an interesting thread on the 35s5
and will post the link to it and the responses in a little while.
Suffice to say I'm even more happy with our choice today....especially
after hearing how well the 35s5 does in light to moderate air. It's
heavy air that can cause trouble for the wing version. You're so busy
trolling, you missed the actual point to attack!

And we sailed the 35s5 in ultra light air, 3-8 knots....just perfect!
Mylar rocks!

RB
35s5...the best light air boat here!
NY

Retro-fit to Self tailing winches Watski Wincher Self-Tailers Mic Cruising 6 November 18th 05 04:31 AM
Defending the PDQ 36 Capt. Rob ASA 10 November 17th 05 11:04 AM
Oh...the 35s5! Capt. Rob ASA 9 November 11th 05 06:31 PM
35s5 Details Capt. Rob ASA 33 November 11th 05 12:26 PM
Is the 35s5 a Rocket Capt. Rob ASA 15 November 9th 05 12:55 AM