Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Capt. Rob

Default Defending the PDQ 36

You know, I don't like bashing a boat...especially for things it was
never meant to do. Jeff is incapable of defending his PDQ and is
actually, point by point, making it seem like the PDQ is a poor sailing
boat. While Jeff isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, we don't benefit
when a search turns up silly comparisons on Google. Buyers come away
thinking the PDQ is a "bad" sailboat and only Tom Thumb could be
comfortable cruising a 35s5.

So, being the more sensible of the two...I'll FAIRLY outline the two
boats....

Cruising:
Either boat can be cruised anywhere by any sailor. Period. Jeff's idea
that you need a level toilet or a non-heeling boat are his preferences
only. Comfort is a subjective thing and you rate it by needs and
circumstance. The 35s5 is comfortable for us just as the PDQ is for
Jeff.

Racing:
The 35s5 is a fun and fast boat, dual purpose design that is good for
serious or occasional racing. The PDQ 36 was not concieved as such. No
fair comparison can or should be made.

Performance:
Under the strict definition of performance, which includes directional
control of a vessel, pointing is very high on the list. So is ability
to tack quickly and handling. In these areas the 35s5 has the
advantage. It also gives the sailor more feedback. The 35s5 is also
excellent in light air due to a reasonable powerful sailplan and low
wetted surface. Any way you dice it the 35s5 is going to be a more
stimulating boat to sail and I think Jeff would agree.

Speed:
Yes, I place this under a different heading....it's own in fact. A
Tayana 48 is faster than a Lightening, but that's not saying it's a
better performer. So let's deal with speed on it's own boat for boat.
Multi's are generally faster than monohulls. Period. The 35s5 might
beat the PDQ around the bouys, but probably not over the long haul. The
PDQ is simply too fast off the wind. While the 35s5 might surf to match
speed, it would be like going 6 rounds with Jake Lamotta to do it for
any extended period.

Comfort:
No doubt about it at all. The wider, roomier PDQ is more comfortable.

Build Quality:
While I have learned that the 35s5 was among Beneteau's best built
yachts, I'd guess that the PDQ is somewhat tougher. Part of this is due
to the extreme weight saving measures takin on the 35s5. Still a boat
built for cruising exclusivley should be of sturdier construction and
the PDQ enjoys a good reputation in that regard.

Looks:
Obviously very subjective. I, for one, feel that any monohul is better
looking than multi's. I've long been in love with the shape of boats.
While the design of the PDQ 36 is intriguing to me, I don't warm to
it's appearance in the least. Opinions will differ and the owner of a
Hinkley will wonder that a space shuttle like the 35s5 was ever
concieved.

Suitability and practicality:
Obviously this is really all Jeff and I have been debating. Who bought
the boat best suited for what they wanted? Jeff has listed some
negatives about his PDQ, but he accepts them among the many compromises
that every boat must make. I can claim a half victory here with fewer
problems anticpated with my choice, but then I won't be sailing in all
the conditions and distances that Jeff has. My 35s5 doesn't have to
work as hard to meet my needs as a fun local weekend cruiser.

Both the PDQ 36 and 35s5 are fine examples of their design genres and
both continue to enjoy success as they compete well with the current
market of new boats. The sailor who buys a multi must be willing to
give up certain aspects of the sailing experience. A sailor who sticks
with monohulls, even heavy cruisers, must be willing to endure less
comfort overall reaping the rewards of a sailing experience that is
entirely personal and subjective.

Now Jeff...before you cry and yell for ending our silly debate,
consider all the negatives that will pop up on both boats via web
searches. It's not a good thing for us, our fine vessels or other
owners or buyers.

I hereby end this debate and will no longer respond to associated
threads comparing the 35s5 to a PDQ 36, Swan 70 or a paddle wheel
steamer.

Capt. Robert B
35s5...the boat that took the high road
NY