posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Default I still prefer single handing

Jon,

I've always like the old say; " A sailor learns to avoid sailing in
condition he can't sail in AND learns to sail in conditions he can't
Avoid!"

There are many,many times when it's better to stay home.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/Pneuma

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Maybe you should try to get your family involved in the sailing.
Let the 9 yr old take the wheel when you have the room, etc
everyone will enjoy it more...

It take it that's what he was doing. What he's saying is that it didn't work
for anyone. I congratulate David on being realistic enough to recognize
reality and enjoy it.

I agree but I also don't think he should give up... unless
he really just plain prefers sailing alone. I know a number
of men who get on their boats (many of them don't
necessarily go sailing) specifically to get away from their
wives.

wrote:
We have done family sailing for many years and I have lost count of the
number of times I have taught my wife how to tie a bowline or even to
put a line on a cleat. It isnt important to her so she forgets
quickly.

That's OK too. Why should it be important to her? Let her
relax & read a book or something.

... She did take sailing lessons many years ago. My 9 year old
may "connect" with sailing but my older kids did not. However, my wife
objects to me taking the 9 year old sailing without her.

So you have some good reason to go all together. Especially
if the 9yo likes it.

... In fact, I find my brain nearly shuts
down around co-workers so I must be alone to do real work.

I have to turn off the phone.

... My wife is
very sociable and is easily distracted by people and ignores the boat.
I admit, I fiind guests aboard to be a distraction I dislike. Being
the ultimate geek physics/engineer, my love for sailing is with problem
solving and this is hard to do with distractions.

Sounds like a limiting factor in your sailing development, too.

Anyway there *is* a way of getting it all to work out, you
just to be patient & creative enough to find it & put it
into effect.

A larger boat is a poor solution because I think my 28' is the ideal
size for single handing.

And a 28 footer should certainly be large enough for three
people, especially when one is a child.

One thing that will get your child interested in sailing is
if you let her bring a friend. Boats are inherently cool,
and other factor is that she will love showing off her
sailing ability.

We will continue to do family sailing, but I really want to do single
handing too. I've tried various strategies like always wearing my
auto-inflate harness/lifejacket, wearing a personal EPIRB and strobe,
having the cell phone with me, etc. to alleviate her fears for me. Any
suggestions?

Don't worry about whether she is worried. Just do what you
can (within reason) to allay her fears and move on. And let
her find her own enjoyment... maybe being tolerant enough to
bring other company once in a while.

When my wife and I started sailing together, our focus was
racing small one-designs. She knew very little about
cruising. When we spent some time on bigger boats, I made
sure that it was a vacation for her. Then (being an
intelligent and capable woman) she got interested in some of
the challenges of cruising, like navigating.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Scout" wrote in message

Sort of how I feel about riding my motorcycle with my wife

on her's. I worry
too much about her and then I am a less safe rider myself.

I'm much better
rider when either alone or riding with non-family riders.
Scout

I used to cringe whan my wife asked to ride along ( on the
back). I'd have to cut my speeds in half.
Now, as an old fart, I enjoy taking her at slower speeds.

On the bike?
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Scotty wrote:
I used to cringe whan my wife asked to ride along ( on the
back). I'd have to cut my speeds in half.
Now, as an old fart, I enjoy taking her at slower speeds.

Next thing you know, you'll be getting a tugboat

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty wrote:
I used to cringe whan my wife asked to ride along ( on the
back). I'd have to cut my speeds in half.
Now, as an old fart, I enjoy taking her at slower speeds.

Next thing you know, you'll be getting a tugboat

It's worse than you think...right now I'm drooling over a Cyclone Rake Pro
http://www.cyclonerake.com/sem/?refe...lecyclonegroup
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty wrote:
I used to cringe whan my wife asked to ride along ( on

the
back). I'd have to cut my speeds in half.
Now, as an old fart, I enjoy taking her at slower

speeds.

Next thing you know, you'll be getting a tugboat

Awwk!
My wife has orders to shoot me if I ever start looking at
stinkpots,or Harleys.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Scout wrote:
It's worse than you think...right now I'm drooling over a Cyclone Rake Pro
http://www.cyclonerake.com/sem/?refe...lecyclonegroup

Now that's pretty cool. I wouldn't have much use for one
myself, since I have let most of our yard go back to nature.
But our neighbors should get these and get rid of their
leaf blowers.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

wrote in message
oups.com...
Went out with my wife and 9 yr old daughter today, left my 15 yr old
son at home and 19 yr old daughter is off at college. Even with this
few people on my 28' S2, I felt crowded and wished nobody was in my
way. It didnt help when a gust caught us unexpectedly and threw us
waaaaaay over and my wife gasped and got a death grip on the
companionway. I am not so confident myself that someone elses fear
does not rattle me and I had to tell myself "Be calm and slow".
By myself, I can concentrate and work things out without worrying about
stepping on someones hands or whether or not they are tied in. Maybe
being concerned about my family makes me nervous but alone I am a far
better sailor. Unfortunately, my wife does not like me to sail alone
and openly worries about what could happen to me in such windy
conditions. My assertion that due to my personality quirks that I am
actually safer alone do not make her feel better. The past year and a
half in which I have done a considerable amount of single handing has
convinced me that I am far better alone sailing and I have more fun. I
dunno what to do but family sailing doesnt work for me.

Depends. If you're just "going out for a sail", it oftentimes can be more
relaxing to go alone. I know everyone else is going to say it, but if your
wife worries about you sailing in "windy" conditions then she needs to take
some lessons.

John Cairns