posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default I still prefer single handing

Went out with my wife and 9 yr old daughter today, left my 15 yr old
son at home and 19 yr old daughter is off at college. Even with this
few people on my 28' S2, I felt crowded and wished nobody was in my
way. It didnt help when a gust caught us unexpectedly and threw us
waaaaaay over and my wife gasped and got a death grip on the
companionway. I am not so confident myself that someone elses fear
does not rattle me and I had to tell myself "Be calm and slow".
By myself, I can concentrate and work things out without worrying about
stepping on someones hands or whether or not they are tied in. Maybe
being concerned about my family makes me nervous but alone I am a far
better sailor. Unfortunately, my wife does not like me to sail alone
and openly worries about what could happen to me in such windy
conditions. My assertion that due to my personality quirks that I am
actually safer alone do not make her feel better. The past year and a
half in which I have done a considerable amount of single handing has
convinced me that I am far better alone sailing and I have more fun. I
dunno what to do but family sailing doesnt work for me.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I guess it cuts both ways.. I do like sailing by myself, but there are times
when I like sailing with others more. It doesn't seem to be dependent upon
the kind of weather. I've come back through the slot with others and had a
great time, other times wished I was alone, other times wished there were
others with me. Perhaps if the weather isn't great then I slightly favor
having company.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Jon,

I've always like the old say; " A sailor learns to avoid sailing in
condition he can't sail in AND learns to sail in conditions he can't
Avoid!"

There are many,many times when it's better to stay home.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/Pneuma

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sort of how I feel about riding my motorcycle with my wife on her's. I worry
too much about her and then I am a less safe rider myself. I'm much better
rider when either alone or riding with non-family riders.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message

Sort of how I feel about riding my motorcycle with my wife

on her's. I worry
too much about her and then I am a less safe rider myself.

I'm much better
rider when either alone or riding with non-family riders.
Scout

I used to cringe whan my wife asked to ride along ( on the
back). I'd have to cut my speeds in half.
Now, as an old fart, I enjoy taking her at slower speeds.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Scotty wrote:
I used to cringe whan my wife asked to ride along ( on the
back). I'd have to cut my speeds in half.
Now, as an old fart, I enjoy taking her at slower speeds.

Next thing you know, you'll be getting a tugboat

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty wrote:
I used to cringe whan my wife asked to ride along ( on the
back). I'd have to cut my speeds in half.
Now, as an old fart, I enjoy taking her at slower speeds.

Next thing you know, you'll be getting a tugboat

It's worse than you think...right now I'm drooling over a Cyclone Rake Pro
http://www.cyclonerake.com/sem/?refe...lecyclonegroup
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Scout wrote:
It's worse than you think...right now I'm drooling over a Cyclone Rake Pro
http://www.cyclonerake.com/sem/?refe...lecyclonegroup

Now that's pretty cool. I wouldn't have much use for one
myself, since I have let most of our yard go back to nature.
But our neighbors should get these and get rid of their
leaf blowers.

DSK