posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

Default Beneteau 39', Wandering?

I sailed three days this weekend on a Beneteau 39, approximately 1988
model, in winds of around 20-25kts, and I was somewhat surprised that
the boat seemed to wander about from port to starboard on anything
approaching a close reach. It doesn't have a full keel but does have a
spade rudder, etc. Has anyone else had experience with the Beneteau's
of this era, and were you satisfied with it's handling and sailing
characteristics? We were offshore in some pretty high, breaking waves,
but I would have thought that the boat would handle them better than it
did. Since it is a french boat, we did enjoy some french bread and
wine with our steaks (after returning to port).

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

And, I was hoping for a MacM report....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

I sailed three days this weekend on a Beneteau 39, approximately 1988
model, in winds of around 20-25kts, and I was somewhat surprised that the
boat seemed to wander about from port to starboard on anything approaching
a close reach. It doesn't have a full keel but does have a spade rudder,
etc. Has anyone else had experience with the Beneteau's of this era, and
were you satisfied with it's handling and sailing characteristics? We were
offshore in some pretty high, breaking waves, but I would have thought
that the boat would handle them better than it did. Since it is a french
boat, we did enjoy some french bread and wine with our steaks (after
returning to port).

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

Capt. JG wrote:

And, I was hoping for a MacM report....

I only take the Mac out in winds under 40 knots, waves less than 20 feet.

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

And, I was hoping for a MacM report...

Me too... Jonathan!

But... since I will be taking possession of a MacGregor26M
next week... I guess I will become the "sacrificial lamb"
for the heavy weather/confused seas testing.

My playground will be the Channel Islands area... your neck
of the woods would scare me and my little Mac off real quick
I suspect. :-)

Also... maybe Jim is contemplating an upgrade? I know the
previous owner of my Mac went to a Pearson 365.

Best regards

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

But you said that the wind was only 20-25.. were the waves over 20 ft?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

And, I was hoping for a MacM report....

I only take the Mac out in winds under 40 knots, waves less than 20 feet.

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

There's a nice 365 for sale up here right now... I'm thinking about it, but
I just don't know if I want to spend $40K right now.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
ups.com...

And, I was hoping for a MacM report...

Me too... Jonathan!

But... since I will be taking possession of a MacGregor26M
next week... I guess I will become the "sacrificial lamb"
for the heavy weather/confused seas testing.

My playground will be the Channel Islands area... your neck
of the woods would scare me and my little Mac off real quick
I suspect. :-)

Also... maybe Jim is contemplating an upgrade? I know the
previous owner of my Mac went to a Pearson 365.

Best regards

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

Jon, the Mac is great, but I enjoy sailing other boats too. Obvously,
the larger boat is going to be more comfortable offshore in 25-knot
winds and 35-degree temperatures. I'm not sure about the waves, but
they were breaking and bouncing us around fairly well.

Jim

Capt. JG wrote:

But you said that the wind was only 20-25.. were the waves over 20 ft?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

There's a nice 365 for sale up here right now...

Hey Jon... Tis a small world indeed!

My friend whose Mac I purchased... made a special trip (from
Bakersfield) to see that boat. However... he ended up buying
one that was based in Santa Cruz. I forget what the pros and
cons were... that influenced his final decision to purchase
the Santa Cruz vessel versus the one at Sausalito.

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I'd love to hear what he thought. They don't come on the market that often,
so it is tempting. I don't much like the radar arch, but other than that it
looks like they did a nice retrofit.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a nice 365 for sale up here right now...

Hey Jon... Tis a small world indeed!

My friend whose Mac I purchased... made a special trip (from
Bakersfield) to see that boat. However... he ended up buying
one that was based in Santa Cruz. I forget what the pros and
cons were... that influenced his final decision to purchase
the Santa Cruz vessel versus the one at Sausalito.

Bill

Would you like a free Beneteau or Lagoon ? [email protected] Cruising 26 January 22nd 06 07:41 PM
Beneteau vs. Beneteau Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 4th 06 02:38 PM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:31 PM
Group for Beneteau Capt. Rob Cruising 3 November 2nd 05 01:25 AM