posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Default Beneteau 39', Wandering?

Smart move. :-) Despite all the crap people give you, I think it would be
interesting to hear a real sailing story from a Mac.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
Jon, the Mac is great, but I enjoy sailing other boats too. Obvously, the
larger boat is going to be more comfortable offshore in 25-knot winds and
35-degree temperatures. I'm not sure about the waves, but they were
breaking and bouncing us around fairly well.
Jim

Capt. JG wrote:

But you said that the wind was only 20-25.. were the waves over 20 ft?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I have, but not offshore. It was quite nice in 25kts and 4 -5 foot chop. Of
course, these were just day sails for less than 10 hours.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
Anyone sailed a Beneteau of this class? How did it handle?

Jim

Jim Cate wrote:

I sailed three days this weekend on a Beneteau 39, approximately 1988
model, in winds of around 20-25kts, and I was somewhat surprised that the
boat seemed to wander about from port to starboard on anything
approaching a close reach. It doesn't have a full keel but does have a
spade rudder, etc. Has anyone else had experience with the Beneteau's of
this era, and were you satisfied with it's handling and sailing
characteristics? We were offshore in some pretty high, breaking waves,
but I would have thought that the boat would handle them better than it
did. Since it is a french boat, we did enjoy some french bread and wine
with our steaks (after returning to port).

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'd love to hear what he thought.

Jon... Next week he and I will be spending a couple of days
together at Oxnard doing the final "transfer".

At that time... I will find out what his assessment was of
the Sausalito vessel. Like yourself... he is young and a
sharp dude... when it comes to analyzing things... though
not a seasoned "salt"... but he is fast getting there. :-)

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I wish I were young. :-) Please do let me know. I'm still tossing the
decision to make an offer around.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd love to hear what he thought.

Jon... Next week he and I will be spending a couple of days
together at Oxnard doing the final "transfer".

At that time... I will find out what his assessment was of
the Sausalito vessel. Like yourself... he is young and a
sharp dude... when it comes to analyzing things... though
not a seasoned "salt"... but he is fast getting there. :-)

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

CNN, reporting on the US port / Arab security screw-up,
showed a pic of a ship dockside as a MAC 26x ''sailed'' by.

Scotty

Capt. JG wrote:

But you said that the wind was only 20-25.. were the

waves over 20 ft?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Is that the one that finally sank on its own?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:

But you said that the wind was only 20-25.. were the

waves over 20 ft?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Hey Jim, the weather was nasty that weekend, did you wait on purpose
for the worst weather of the year to get offshore?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

If it sank, it wasn't a Mac.

Jim

Capt. JG wrote:

Is that the one that finally sank on its own?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Where did you go?

There is a Oceanis (sp?) 44 bentatoe in the yard now getting a
bowthruster installed.

Ugly boat!

Joe

Would you like a free Beneteau or Lagoon ? [email protected] Cruising 26 January 22nd 06 07:41 PM
Beneteau vs. Beneteau Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 4th 06 02:38 PM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:31 PM
Group for Beneteau Capt. Rob Cruising 3 November 2nd 05 01:25 AM