posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

Default Beneteau 39', Wandering?

In article ,
Jim Cate wrote:
If it sank, it wasn't a Mac.

Jim

Are you saying that the Mac is unsinkable? They said the same thing
about the Titanic.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
wrote:
I'd love to hear what he thought.

Jon... Next week he and I will be spending a couple of days
together at Oxnard doing the final "transfer".

Ah Oxnard... saw an ad for a resort there... it said, "Not just
another pretty name."

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bill, how is your Mac equiped, and what model year is it?

Jim... It is a 2004 26M. It was Rich Boren's Mac... you will
probably remember him. He has been an active poster on the
"macgregorsailors.com" web site.

I still have your personal "E" address... and will send you some
details via that medium for your perusal.

Best regards

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Now Jon, you know darn well they *can't* sink. Positive
floatation, ya know?

Scotty

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Is that the one that finally sank on its own?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
CNN, reporting on the US port / Arab security screw-up,
showed a pic of a ship dockside as a MAC 26x ''sailed''

by.

Scotty

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Smart move. :-) Despite all the crap people give you, I

think it would be
interesting to hear a real sailing story from a Mac.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
Jon, the Mac is great, but I enjoy sailing other

boats
too. Obvously, the
larger boat is going to be more comfortable offshore

in
25-knot winds and
35-degree temperatures. I'm not sure about the

waves,
but they were
breaking and bouncing us around fairly well.
Jim

Capt. JG wrote:

But you said that the wind was only 20-25.. were the

waves over 20 ft?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Jim Cate" wrote
If it sailed, it wasn't a Mac.

Oh?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

Sure Scotty. - Under some circumstances, it's actually possible that a
Mac might sink. - Like, if the skipper decided to remove the foam
floatation and stuff canned goods, anchors, gear, etc., into the
resulting cavities. Or, if a great white shark bashed in the side of
the boat and took a liking to the floatation material, muching it for
snacks. Or, if the boat were hit and cut apart by a boat without proper
watch, the motor and transom area might sink. But so far, I haven't
heard of that happening with a Mac. - Have you Scotty?

But speaking of sinking, how long will YOUR boat stay afloat if the
hull is compromised, or if one of the through-hulls comes loose, or if
one of the inlet tubes gets stiff and springs a leak while you are
asleep or in the cockpit? Is the hull/keel connection good and solid?
(Might have some internal rusting or other problems?) Have you checked
the through-hull valves recently to see whether they are, or might
become, frozen open? Got your emergency signals ready Scotty? Life raft
in good shape? Rudder shaft bearings packed well? Cooling system for the
motor in good shape? PFD's in good shape and working order? Can't be
too careful, Scotty. Better safe than sorry.

Jim

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Is that the one that finally sank on its own?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

. ..

Capt. JG wrote:

But you said that the wind was only 20-25.. were the

waves over 20 ft?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

"Scotty" wrote in message
CNN, reporting on the US port / Arab security screw-up,
showed a pic of a ship dockside as a MAC 26x ''sailed''

by.

I'm betting that if you backed over it several times with your
tractor/trailer, the Mac would no longer float.

Hey, why don't we give it a try.. Jim, how about it. A test.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

In article ,
Scotty wrote:

Now Jon, you know darn well they *can't* sink. Positive
floatation, ya know?

Scotty

I'm betting that if you backed over it several times with your
tractor/trailer, the Mac would no longer float.

Hey, why don't we give it a try.. Jim, how about it. A test.

Sure thing Jonathan. - Just be sure to pay me the price of a replacement
first. - I'll use the money to buy a 2006 model.

Jim
(Attorney)

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Jim Cate wrote:

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

In article ,
Scotty wrote:

Now Jon, you know darn well they *can't* sink. Positive
floatation, ya know?

Scotty

I'm betting that if you backed over it several times with your
tractor/trailer, the Mac would no longer float.

Hey, why don't we give it a try.. Jim, how about it. A test.

Sure thing Jonathan. - Just be sure to pay me the price of a replacement
first. - I'll use the money to buy a 2006 model.

How about this... if it sinks, you can have my boat in exchange. I
think that's fair! It would be about the same value don't you think.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
Sure Scotty. - Under some circumstances, it's actually

possible that a
Mac might sink. - Like, if the skipper decided to remove

the foam
floatation and stuff canned goods, anchors, gear, etc.,

into the
resulting cavities. Or, if a great white shark bashed in

the side of
the boat and took a liking to the floatation material,

muching it for
snacks. Or, if the boat were hit and cut apart by a boat

without proper
watch, the motor and transom area might sink. But so far,

I haven't
heard of that happening with a Mac. - Have you Scotty?

No, but I haven't smoked any weed for some time. That must
be some good **** you got there.

But speaking of sinking, how long will YOUR boat stay

afloat if the
hull is compromised, or if one of the through-hulls comes

loose, or if
one of the inlet tubes gets stiff and springs a leak while

you are
asleep or in the cockpit?

Well, she won't sink, my boat is on the hard.

Is the hull/keel connection good and solid?

Yup.

(Might have some internal rusting or other problems?)

Nope.

Have you checked
the through-hull valves recently to see whether they are,

or might
become, frozen open? Got your emergency signals ready

Scotty? Life raft
in good shape? Rudder shaft bearings packed well? Cooling

system for the
motor in good shape? PFD's in good shape and working

order? Can't be
too careful, Scotty. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Scotty

Would you like a free Beneteau or Lagoon ? [email protected] Cruising 26 January 22nd 06 07:41 PM
Beneteau vs. Beneteau Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 4th 06 02:38 PM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:31 PM
Group for Beneteau Capt. Rob Cruising 3 November 2nd 05 01:25 AM