posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Default Alone Against The Atlantic

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do they have a Classic Comic Book version? Maybe a video? Audio Tape?

Pop-up book and Talking Viewmaster/

Yeah either will do.... Binary Bill has my address... get him to send it to
me. :-)

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Scout" wrote in message
news
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Yesterday, while sitting in the jury marshalling room,

waiting to be
plucked into service, I was able to read Gerry Speiss'

"Alone Against The
Atlantic" in which he describes how he designed, built,

tested, and then
managed to cross an ocean in his 10' sailboat.

Absolutely puny! My boat
was twice that size!

some pics of Spiess' "Yankee Girl"

http://marlinbree.com/work6.htm

What, no swim platform!!!!

I bet he doesn't even have air conditioning. HORRIFIC!!!!!!!

The uncivilized *******!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"katy" wrote in message
Scout wrote:
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..

Yesterday, while sitting in the jury marshalling room, waiting to be
plucked into service, I was able to read Gerry Speiss' "Alone Against The
Atlantic" in which he describes how he designed, built, tested, and then
managed to cross an ocean in his 10' sailboat. Absolutely puny! My boat
was twice that size!

some pics of Spiess' "Yankee Girl" http://marlinbree.com/work6.htm

Looks like a butter tub!

Yep! I wonder had badly the tiller *churned* him in a brisk breeze.
I love that transom seat.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"DSK" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote
Yesterday, while sitting in the jury marshalling room, waiting to be
plucked into service, I was able to read Gerry Speiss' "Alone Against The
Atlantic" in which he describes how he designed, built, tested, and then
managed to cross an ocean in his 10' sailboat. Absolutely puny! My boat
was twice that size!

Well, how come you didn't sail across the Atlantic twice, then?

Actually your boat may have displaced less.

You're probably right. My Starwind displaced 1350 lbs. I think Spiess said
he had 1000 lbs just in ballast, mostly food and water, and some dead
weight. Of course, my 1350# doesn't include my air conditioning system,
jacuzzi, and sun-tanning booth.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
news
Read about this then:

http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/sea/028387_RGMC_.shtml

http://www.famoussmallboats.com/

http://www.westwightpotter.com/company/history.htm

Get yourself a real man's blue water cruiser - the WWP 14!

I see what you mean - not much cabin to hide in!
I'd like to do Omick's route: "One of the longest voyages was by David
Omick, a young sailor just 21 years old, who sailed his Potter from Seattle
to Ketchikan, Alaska. It took 90 days to work his way up the coast while
exploring hundreds of scenic inlets along the way. "
Scout
http://sailingtexas.com/swwp14b.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
news
Read about this then:

http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/sea/028387_RGMC_.shtml

http://www.famoussmallboats.com/

http://www.westwightpotter.com/company/history.htm

Get yourself a real man's blue water cruiser - the WWP 14!

I see what you mean - not much cabin to hide in!
I'd like to do Omick's route: "One of the longest voyages was by David
Omick, a young sailor just 21 years old, who sailed his Potter from
Seattle to Ketchikan, Alaska. It took 90 days to work his way up the coast
while exploring hundreds of scenic inlets along the way. "
Scout
http://sailingtexas.com/swwp14b.html

If you can withstand ridicule, they're a great little boat. I used to take
mine out in stuff (in winter!) no one else would and it was pretty dry. I
really regret selling that boat. It didn't sail real great, but it was
exceptional fun. I may even go buy another one.

Amen!