posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob

Default New Found Metals Ports: They will sue me if I tell my story

Hi:

Ever wondered how NFM tests their ports to determine if they are stout
enough for off shore service?

Now I know first hand the secret to their rigorous testing process. For
the past five months I have worked to remedy a problem with the two
7x15 ports I ordered from NFM. Below is an email sent from NFM when I
explained that my ports did not seal in the corners. You can make you
own decision if NFM testing is good enough for sea service. Or if best
left at the dock....Chris (AKA Bob)

"Dear Chris,
I received the return [ports from customer]... I set both ports up
without adjusting the dogs down and filled up the ports with 90oz. of
water and watched for leaks. After about 30 minutes I noticed one
corner seep out a couple drops so I dumped out the water and readjusted
the ports to have a tighter seal. Then I refilled the port with 90oz.
of water and no leaks after three hours of low pressure testing. The
second port developed a leak as well so I adjusted the port and
refilled with water and again no leaks. As I said before I did not
touch the adjustments before this experiment and when I noticed a leak
that is when I readjusted and that solved the problem.

Low pressure seal is very important and these ports do seal fine. The
ports do seal without applying any additional silicon sealant.

Best regards,
Carli
New Found Metals, Inc.
240 Airport Road
Port Townsend, WA
Tel: 360-385-3315
Fax: 360-385-6097
Email:
Website: www.newfoundmetals.com

I need to be very careful with my words here. If NFM does not my like
my comments they will sue me. But do not take my word for it. Below is
anothe emil I recieved from NFM.

"...We do not appreciate the threatening language of your emails. We
will not tolerate slanderous publications and, if necessary, will
pursue legal action if slander is found.
Regards,
Carli
New Found Metals, Inc"

So what do you think?
Chris

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Bob wrote:
[...]

Well Bob (Chris)

If it leaks it leaks. And how is the 90 OZ of water applied to the
port, In a strait up colum or spread out in a tank? I think measuring
pressure might be a better test. Sounds like a chicken **** test to me.
What are the ports made of? Are the dogs adjustable.

Did they just have the cheapest on the market? Carli sounds like a
bitch. The customer is always right! Thanks for the tips, I will avoid
them and stick with Perko.

What did you threaten to do? Publish pictures of leaky ports in every
sailing forum your could find? They don't want to give you a refund eh?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Nutsy,

I do believe you've found another outlet that doesn't like your egotical
attitude. Unlike us ASA members they are willing to defend themselves
with more than words

Live with it old friend. Remember what Frank Leahy said; "Egotism is the
antithetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/Pneuma

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob

Thom Stewart wrote:
Nutsy,

I do believe you've found another outlet that doesn't like your egotical
attitude. Unlike us ASA members they are willing to defend themselves
with more than words

Live with it old friend. Remember what Frank Leahy said; "Egotism is the
antithetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!"

Humm, interesting take on my post..

Lets try this, I have exchanged over 20 email with NFM regarding my
order. I ordered two 7x15 ss with 10mm glass. I ordered these September
6, 2005. There were problms and delays with my order. It eventuall took
five months to get them. Check out rec.boat.building and BadBoatBiz for
a post that I deatail the problems in incountered.

As for my "threats" on NFM I have included the messae that Carlie
though threatning. Oh, yes I did cross post. Each post was a bit
diffrent though. Why? I do not want anyone to fall into the same trap I
did. Hopfully, someone about to replace a few ports will read these
posts and consinder what happended to me in their decision. I wish that
I had that opportunity

Below is part of an email I sent to NFM a few days ago:

"Dear Carli:
....would you please forward this message to the owner of NFM. I believe
I may have met him in 1980 when I was in PT. I also want to give the
owner an opportunity to respond to my concern before I document this
five month experience on several Internet discussion boards. I will
start with
rec.boats.cruising
rec.boats.building
and a new one called BadBoatBiz

Of course there are several owner groups that accept posts also. I will
be pleased to forward any post I make to NFM if you care to respond to
any. Actually it may make for an interesting dialogue. At this point my
recommendation in less than 10 words is:
friendly staff..... abysmal workmanship.............and a product best
left sitting at the boat show. Do not waste five months and $600 for
these two mediocre ports...."

The above is only part of the original message. I omitted parts of the
original message because it describes the two problems in greater
detail. What follows is the response I got from NFM today:

"Dear Chris,
We have examined the portlights, specifically the areas that concerned
you: gasket seal and bolt line-up. Neither area proved to be
defective, contrary to your statements. What you have are heavy duty,
sealing, ocean ready port windows.
Both the gasket on the ports and the additional gasket you requested
will form a tight seal and function properly.
We have offered you solutions which have included refunding you for the

portlights (contrary to our no return policy on special orders). You
chose to take the ports back with additional gasket materials.

We do not appreciate the threatening language of your emails. We will
not tolerate slanderous publications and, if necessary, will pursue
legal action if slander is found.
Regards,
Carli
New Found Metals, Inc.

So what do you think about the above claim buyNFM? Does telilng I was
going to post her emails constitute "threats?"
One last, thought........... after reading your response I remember why
I do not read this site.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Dave" wrote in message
On 9 Feb 2006 15:46:14 -0800, "Bob" said:

So what do you think about the above claim buyNFM?

Sounds to me like they tested your claims, found them wanting, and had the
good sense and guts not to put up with any more of your horse****. Bully
for
them, I say.

As with people putting syringes in their coke cans or fingers in their taco
salad, the damaged companies now have stronger means to collect for damages.

Just pray they don't come after you. A better place to resolve your problems
would have been the BBB.

How much is your house insured for?

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob

Darn, you guys sound pretty opinionated for not know why I wanted to
return the ports.
Gee, I think I feel thratened.

Actually I plan on keeping the ports.
Why? Its faster to replace the deformed gasket myself and NFM says the
ports are just fine. Ya, they do not seal very well. My other option is
to start building up the existing hole in my boat for a smaller sized
port. Just a practical time issue. I do not like grinding and epoxy
builds. Over-all the ports are ok.........except for the no seal
problem and the bolt through holes not aligning.

So how do you guys learn anything here when the first thing that comes
out of you mout is an apinion based on nothing but an emotional that
lackings a full understanding of whats going on?

If you want to know what may happen if you place a special order from
NFM please read the other post.
I think I have spent enough tiem here.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Looks like it hit him on the head as he entered.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On 9 Feb 2006 17:46:13 -0800, "Bob" said:

I think I have spent enough tiem here.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Darn, you guys sound pretty opinionated for not know why I wanted to
return the ports.

Maybe we're opinionated because you did not tell us why you wanted to return
the ports.

Gee, I think I feel thratened.

I think you feel humiliated.

Actually I plan on keeping the ports.

This contradicts your first statement, doesn't it?

Why? Its faster to replace the deformed gasket myself and NFM says the
ports are just fine. Ya, they do not seal very well.

If it's a deformed gasket why badmouth NFM?

Why not just buy a new gasket?

My other option is
to start building up the existing hole in my boat for a smaller sized
port. Just a practical time issue. I do not like grinding and epoxy
builds. Over-all the ports are ok.........except for the no seal
problem and the bolt through holes not aligning.

You could also build a whole new boat around the ports.

So how do you guys learn anything here when the first thing that comes
out of you mout is an apinion based on nothing but an emotional that
lackings a full understanding of whats going on?

I believe there was complete understanding on the part of the people here.

You even admit to wanting to keep the ports.

Your initial claims were to discredit the port manufacturer for something
you are satisfied enough with to keep.

Seems like the people here were spot on.

If you want to know what may happen if you place a special order from
NFM please read the other post.
I think I have spent enough tiem here.

From this thread it is reasonable for one to conclude you're a batten short
of a complete sail. One does not have to imagine too hard what poor NFM had
to go through in dealing with you.

Dave's analysis of you was right on the mark.

Please stick around. We can use the entertainment. You can use some religion
too!

Amen!

Did you vote for Bush????

posted to alt.sailing.asa