posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Any thoughts onhow to make this boat better

I've looked at the Dix boats and a few others. Unfortunately, I am
6'1" so headroom matters. I also think that use of the boat will
decrease exponentially with rigging difficulty so that a boat that has
very low difficulty will get used much more. Thus, I am not in favor
of the marconi rig on a trailer boat and like the Gaff rig of the
cormorant with no shrouds. I cannot ascertain the headroom of the
Cormorant

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

OK, Duncan. here's a little experiment you can do in your
bathtub.

1. Put an empty Coke bottle in the water. Observe how it floats.
2. Fill the Coke bottle 1/4 with water. Observe how it floats.
3. Fill the bottle 1/2 way. Observe how it floats
4. Fill it 3/4 full. Observe how it floats
5. Is the water in the coke bottle below the tub water surface?
6. Wash your butt last.

Scotty

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...

"Dave Doe" wrote in message .

Water weighs the same above or below the waterline, and

the
same in or
out of water assuming the same gravitational potential.

No it doesn't!

The *mass* is the same.

Take a plastic bag of water and push if off a bench.

Take the same and do the same off a wee bench in a tub of

water.

Dave, the water in a ballast tank is KNOT IN the water.

Sheesh!!!!

Neither is the water in the plastic bag!

Sheesh!

--
Duncan

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Whoa Davey
Here's a better idea.... jump in the water and see how much water you
displace. If you displace a lot ...as I suspect... you should still float
well enough to undertake the test due to the residue of hot air.

Now drink a quarter bottle of Lamb's Navy Overproof Rum and see where you
float... continue drinking and take readings at every quarter mark of the
bottle.

Get Back to Us on Water Ballast.... we'll inform the multi national sailing
franchises of your position that they're delusional and water ballast is
ineffective.
I'm certain someone would be willing to write a "definitive book" regarding
your findings.

CM

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...
OK, Duncan. here's a little experiment you can do in your
bathtub.

1. Put an empty Coke bottle in the water. Observe how it floats.
2. Fill the Coke bottle 1/4 with water. Observe how it floats.
3. Fill the bottle 1/2 way. Observe how it floats
4. Fill it 3/4 full. Observe how it floats
5. Is the water in the coke bottle below the tub water surface?
6. Wash your butt last.

Scotty

a) What is the *point* of your experiement? - other than to only prove
my argument correct.

b) try this (your experiment pretty much, say 4) ...

So 3/4 full. Hold the bottle at the top and note the weight. Slowly
lower it into the water. Note the weight changing! ??? How can it be
getting lighter all by itself?

Note also the final level in the water. There is almost no difference
in the level of the water in the bottle and the level to which it has
sunk. (The difference being a result of the boyancy of the plastic).

ie, Ans to your Q5. the level of the water in the bottle is very
slightly higher than the water it is in.

PS: experiment not conducted, just using simple physics. Feel free to
do it and get back to me if I'm wrong.

--
Duncan
[Farr 7500 'Hi-Time'

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Dave Doe" wrote in message

LOL - I *love* the idea - mind if I make that a nice single malt scotch
though?

Single Malt is a worthy choice

PS: the book was written many years ago now, some dude called Archimedes
IIRC - shame he's not still alive for Scotty to prove him wrong.

Yeah... I believe something about the buoyant force on the solid object is
equal to the weight of the fluid displaced . So... are you saying that 50
gallons of water in your bilge won't lower your waterline??? Good Grief
that means I can store unlimited supplies of rum onboard.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Dave Doe wrote:
a) What is the *point* of your experiement? - other than to only prove
my argument correct.

Dave, since your argument is not correct, it would be pretty
hard to prove.

Are you saying that the water ballast inside a boat hull
does not affect it's stability? That the water ballast
"weighs nothing" until it is above the waterline?

If that were true, the boat's waterline would be the same
when the ballast tank was empty as when it is full.

Does the boat's displacement increase when the ballast tank
is filled? If so, then the the water ballast "weighs"
something, regardless of where it is relative to the waterline.

If the unit conter of gravity is below what the boat's
Center of Gravity would be without the ballast, then it
increases the boat's stability, regardless of whether the
tank is above or below the waterline.

b) try this (your experiment pretty much, say 4) ...

So 3/4 full. Hold the bottle at the top and note the weight. Slowly
lower it into the water. Note the weight changing! ??? How can it be
getting lighter all by itself?

Try this experiment.

Float an empty bottle. Mark where the waterline is.

Now fill it however full you want, 1/4 or 3/4 or whatever.

Does the bottle sink any deeper into the water?

No?

Then it "weighs" more, the water inside the bottle must be
weighing it down.

PS: experiment not conducted, just using simple physics. Feel free to
do it and get back to me if I'm wrong.

Yep, it's just simple physics. But a number of people have
tried to proclaim that water ballast can't possibly work
because "water doesn't weigh anything in water." But it
obviously *does* work, and the physics (when considered
correctly) show why.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King