posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Any thoughts onhow to make this boat better

Debra, your stupid. Thats the foulest boat to ever sail on water.

Only way you can improve that crapper is to sink it.

Why a fool would even look a cheap white trash boat like that is beyond
me.

Wooooo Hooooo.. Your a loser, most likey a water head, get a shunt
valve installed before it's to late!

RB
35s5 Nicer than nice
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Wooooo Hooooo.. Your a loser, most likey a water head, get a shunt
valve installed before it's to late!

Now if only this loser had my grace and charm...ah well. Some of you
ARE stupid so read the headers. This wannabe is posting from Yahoo.
Then again he could be right about the shunt valve part.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

I think it's got you down pat Bobsprit.....

Grace & Charm????.... Bwahahahahahahahahahaahaaaaaa

CM

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wooooo Hooooo.. Your a loser, most likey a water head, get a shunt
valve installed before it's to late!

Now if only this loser had my grace and charm...ah well. Some of you
ARE stupid so read the headers. This wannabe is posting from Yahoo.
Then again he could be right about the shunt valve part.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jim Cate

Dave,

I'm not sure if you're serious about this project, but if so, I suggest
you follow plans based on a boat that has been built and tested. I have
a water-ballasted boat, and there are several design factors unique to
these boats. - For example, how are you going to ensure that the
ballast tank doesn't deteriorate over time, leak, or break away from the
hull in rough seas? What's the shape and position of the tank in the
boat, and how are you going to fill and empty the tank? If it's a
sailboat, you will of course still need some sort of keel or dagger
board, etc.. - Are you going to extend it through the tank, or affix it
to the hull? If the latter, how are you going to attach it to the hull,
below the ballast tank? For added stability, our boat has about 400
pounds of fixed ballast in addition to the water ballast, which helps
keep the boat stable if the water ballast tank isn't filled. Another
option is to have tanks on both sides of the boat that can be filled
individually, which offers some advantages but would be pretty much of a
hassle to maintain and fill and empty the tanks when underway.

Jim

Dave Doe wrote:

In article .com,
says...

I have been getting interested in building this boat:
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/cormorant/
Of course, I have to finish the Tolman Skiff first, but a trailerable
water ballast sailboat that I can build to my needs is attractive to me
but I have some concerns
1. Do water ballasted boats tend to be exceptionally "tippy" before
they are filled?
2. Could this be alleviated by including a few hundred lbs of lead
sheeting along the bottom?
Any other useful thoughts? Yes, I know you do not save money by
building boats but its become an obsession.

I have a couple a questions...
1. How much water ballast (approx litres) does it take to equal say
200lbs of lead hanging 6' down (on say a swing keel)?

2. How much righting moment does a water ballasted boat provide given
the ballast is below the waterline?

And a cheeky Q3? - How much does water weigh - in water?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

http://express.howstuffworks.com/express-submarine1.htm

How Submarines Sink & Swim
To dive underwater and then resurface, the submarine's crew must
be able to control the ship's weight or density. We can compare
this to an empty can floating in the water. The empty can could
become more "rock-like" and sink by pouring water into the can.
By controlling the amount of water we pour into the can, we can
control the rate and depth of its dive under the water's surface.

Submarines have an inner and an outer steel shell, called a hull.
The area in between the two hulls is called the ballast tank. It
can be filled with either air or water. When the submarine is on
the surface, the ballast tanks are filled with air and the
submarine's overall density is less than that of the surrounding
water.

Ballast tanks are open at the bottom. To dive, the submarine
operator opens up valves at the top and lets air out. It's
something like blowing bubbles when you are swimming underwater.
Seawater rushes in to fill the space that was taken up by air.
This changes the ship's density.

When the density of the submarine is greater than the surrounding
water, it begins to sink. This is called negative buoyancy. A
moveable set of wings, called hydroplanes, helps control the
angle of the dive.

To keep the submarine at any specific depth, the crew adjusts the
mixture of air and water in separate, smaller ballast tanks. The
operator tries to keep the submarine's overall density about the
same as the surrounding water. This is called neutral buoyancy.
When the submarine reaches its cruising depth, the hydroplanes
are straightened so the craft can travel level through the water.
If something changes the submarine's weight and density, such as
firing torpedoes, the operator must make further adjustments of
the water/air mixture in the ballast tanks.

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,
says...

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
. nz...

Can you sink a 'positive buoyancy' boat with water? Can

you
sink it with
lead? You've proven my own point.

What do submarines fill their ballast tanks with?

positive bouyancy boat submarine - EVER.

Bzzzt...Oh, I'm sorry, the correct answer is ''WATER'' .

Thanks for playing.

Water - ROTFL.

No, subs sink cos either they're heavier than water in the

first place,
or they use ballast that is heavier than water such as: Lead,

or for
modern wartime subs I would think they'd use DU (depleted

uranium).

Water! - LOL.

So the correct answer is most assuredly not water. Subs are

made so
that the mass/volume is denser than that of water - and they

sink. They
then have *AIR* in them that provides bouyancy - the cool thing

about
air is it's *compressability*. The "blow the (air) tanks" -

and the
decrease in bouyancy means they sink. To surface, they blow

the water
*out* of the air tanks, filling 'em with the air from the

compressed air
source.

Think of a diver - FFS. They sink because of? Same as a sub -

only as
said, I would think modern war subs use denser material such as

DU -
'cos they can afford it.

So the correct answer is lead or DU.

--
Duncan

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

http://www.fleetsubmarine.com/diving.html

To submerge, the crew opens vents at the top of the ballast
tanks. This lets the air out. The bottom of the ballast tank is
open to the sea, so as soon as the air is released water comes in
to take its place, the displacement increases, and the boat slips
below the surface.

Submarines are designed so that, with the main ballast tanks
full, the weight of water they displace will be as close as
possible to exactly equal to the weight of the boat. In practice,
the boat should retain a slight amount of positive buoyancy, so
that it will want to slowly rise to the surface if nothing else
acts to keep it under.

"Dave Doe" wrote in message
. nz...
In article ,