posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Default Any thoughts onhow to make this boat better

Please tell us the last time you actually heeled your boat!! We want to learn from your vast experience!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message ...

Capt. Scumbalino wrote:

wrote:

Knowing a thang er two bout that fiziks an njineerin stuff (MS
Physics, MSEE), I think that water ballast does nothing until it is
raised above the waterline.

If the centre of rotation as the boat heels is in the centre of gravity of
the mass of the water ballast, then that might be the case. If the centre of
the boat's heeling rotation is above the COG of the ballast, then it has to
pull that enclosed mass around - ergo, the water ballast can have an effect
when it's below the waterline. I think this is the same thing as what I was
saying about bouyancy, but from the perspective of te ballast rather than
the air above it.

I think this is the answer. - The downward forces on the water ballast tank tend to pull the boat down to the lowermost floating position, at point which the boat is in an upright position, absent other forces. For example, ocean liners utilize water ballast below the waterline. From personal experience, the Mac 26M is initially somewhat tender but becomes increasingly stiffer as it heels.

Jim