posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

Default The perfect name

And the winner is...................

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...37360394mBGgfL

Bwahhahahahahhahhahahahahhahahahhahhahahhahahhahah ahahahahhahhaha

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Bob should name it Baby Bubbles in honor of his son!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"John Cairns" wrote in message
. com...
And the winner is...................

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...37360394mBGgfL

Bwahhahahahahhahhahahahahhahahahhahhahahhahahhahah ahahahahhahhaha

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I still think BROWN STAIN is the best choice for
Swabbie.

"John Cairns" wrote

And the winner is...................

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...37360394mBGgfL

Bwahhahahahahhahhahahahahhahahahhahhahahhahahhahah ahahahahhahhaha

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
I still think BROWN STAIN is the best choice for
Swabbie.

Very fitting. And efficient, too... he wouldn't even need to
put any letters on the boat to spell out the name.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

he wouldn't even need to
put any letters on the boat to spell out the name.

Right, you could just send me a pic of your wife and I'd be all set!!!
Have you googled up the name of the real tech advisor of Pal's movies,
Doug? It's probably right on IMD, though you're probably afraid to
check if I was right.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"Capt." Rob wrote:
Have you googled up the name of the real tech advisor of Pal's movies,
Doug? It's probably right on IMD, though you're probably afraid to
check if I was right.

I didn't need to check, of course you're wrong. But just for
a reference:

http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rahfaq.html#0410

** * ** begin quote ** * **
4.10 - What films have been made from Heinlein's works?

The number of films and television works made from
Heinlein's stories is slowly growing. However, the quality
seems to be devolving. The complete list is as follows:

* "Destination Moon" (1950)
This George Pal-produced classic, directed by Irving
Pichel, was one of the very first realistic space movies,
which is fitting, since Heinlein was the technical advisor
and the great Chesley Bonestell was the scenic artist.
Semi-documentary in style, it has a hokey moment or two but
overall still stands as a landmark of science fiction
filmmaking.
** * ** end quote ** * **

So, when are you selling that autographed edition, Bubbles?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

The number of films and television works made from
Heinlein's stories is slowly growing. However, the quality
seems to be devolving. The complete list is as follows:

Yes, Doug...everyone knows who has the credit, but Pal later gave
credit to Bonestell who was a space science study and amateur
astronomer. He was the true tech advisor. Look at his credits and this
bio...

http://www.bonestellgallery.com/biography.html

RAH was tech advisor in name only. Of course it made sense to use RAH's
rising fame as much as possible at the time.
Oh and I never said my edition of Destination Moon was autographed. I
only bought it last year. I do have some hardcovers autographed from
when RAH was at local conventions...those I will never sell.
You don't know a damn thing about RAH because you didn't study those he
worked with...like George Pal. How much involvement do you think he
"really" had in film projects based on his work? And if you know so
much about him, what TV show or movie was sued for stealing his
work...and he lost the suit. You won't find it on the web, so you're
either full of crap or you know.
Tell us, Doug! Prove you're not full of crap!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Capt. Rob wrote:
RAH was tech advisor in name only.

Whatever.

I guess Heinlein didn't know as much about rockets, that's
why the U.S. Navy made Bonestell the director of their
missile program.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Capt. Rob wrote:
RAH was tech advisor in name only.

Whatever.

Doug, for what it's worth (not much), Pal spoke highly of RAH input on
the film and (If I remember correctly) also sought his advice with some
script elements of Conquest of Space and went uncredited. But when it
came to technical aspects, Pal always sought Bonetell's help on EVERY
sci fi film. Did you know that RH had some pretty gee-wiz ideas about
pressure suits and actually designed some systems? His gorilla suits in
Starship Troopers were a direct evolution of his interest in that
technology. But when Destination Moon was made, RAH was far from an
Astronomy buff. Probably, in spite of Pal's comments, some of RAH's
knowledge of suits was applied in the script, but the actual design of
those silly suits was handled by Ernst Fegté and Bonestell. It's a
very popular to list a writer, astronaut or famous artist with sci fi
and fantasy films, but there's rarely any truth to it.
By the way, every resource I've ever read only listed Rocketship
Galileo as the primary inspiration for Destination Moon. I found no
references to other writings credited. While I accept that his other
juvinile works were influential, they are not mentioned, even in Pal's
Bio.
Did you know that Destination Moon, with it's giant publicity push, was
badly hurt at the BO by Rocketship XM which features silly monsters?

RB
35s5...a better boat
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Capt. Rob wrote:
By the way, every resource I've ever read only listed Rocketship
Galileo as the primary inspiration for Destination Moon. I found no
references to other writings credited.

Of course not, you have to actually read Heinlein's works.

It's kind of like the difference between going sailing and
making internet yak-yak about how great your boat is.

DSK

(Almost) Perfect Weekend Tom General 0 January 3rd 06 04:55 AM
Sloco is either a liar or an Idiot Capt. Rob ASA 8 November 29th 05 11:32 AM