posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default The perfect name

Capt. Rob wrote:
RAH was tech advisor in name only.

Whatever.

Doug, for what it's worth (not much), Pal spoke highly of RAH input on
the film and (If I remember correctly) also sought his advice with some
script elements of Conquest of Space and went uncredited. But when it
came to technical aspects, Pal always sought Bonetell's help on EVERY
sci fi film. Did you know that RH had some pretty gee-wiz ideas about
pressure suits and actually designed some systems? His gorilla suits in
Starship Troopers were a direct evolution of his interest in that
technology. But when Destination Moon was made, RAH was far from an
Astronomy buff. Probably, in spite of Pal's comments, some of RAH's
knowledge of suits was applied in the script, but the actual design of
those silly suits was handled by Ernst Fegté and Bonestell. It's a
very popular to list a writer, astronaut or famous artist with sci fi
and fantasy films, but there's rarely any truth to it.
By the way, every resource I've ever read only listed Rocketship
Galileo as the primary inspiration for Destination Moon. I found no
references to other writings credited. While I accept that his other
juvinile works were influential, they are not mentioned, even in Pal's
Bio.
Did you know that Destination Moon, with it's giant publicity push, was
badly hurt at the BO by Rocketship XM which features silly monsters?

RB
35s5...a better boat
NY