posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Main Sail Trim

As effective with mid boom sheeting?.................... I think not.

How's that effect your boom vang. Little crowed eh?

Can't you get better end sail trim with an end boom mounted sheet?....
ie, flatter sail.

Face it you mid sheeting sailors..... the aft end of your sail is out
of control!

You need a boom long enough to clear your cockpit... and an aft cabin
top or mizzen mast to sheet to for a proper layout IMO. ;0) Safe for
the kiddies easy safe access to the sheets nice leverage and proper
trim. That way you can locate your boom vang 1/3 aft the mast and
better control the total shape of your sails.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article om,
Joe wrote:
As effective with mid boom sheeting?.................... I think not.

How's that effect your boom vang. Little crowed eh?

Can't you get better end sail trim with an end boom mounted sheet?....
ie, flatter sail.

Face it you mid sheeting sailors..... the aft end of your sail is out
of control!

You need a boom long enough to clear your cockpit... and an aft cabin
top or mizzen mast to sheet to for a proper layout IMO. ;0) Safe for
the kiddies easy safe access to the sheets nice leverage and proper
trim. That way you can locate your boom vang 1/3 aft the mast and
better control the total shape of your sails.

On my Cal, I had end boom sheeting with a Barney post. And, I had the
usual vang. Worked great, since you could sit in the center of the
cockpit and reach everything.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

With end boom sheeting using a Harken Hexi Cat and a windward
sheeting traveler car I can sit outboard of the wheel on my boat and
have total control in any conditions. Plus I can see the leech from
where I'm trimming.
I helped a friend deliver his new thirty footer a number of years
ago on a 4 day trip down the length of the Chesapeake. On day 2 we had
35kts on a beam reach. He had mid boom sheeting and a coach roof
traveler and you could not ease the main with any control and it was a
bitch to sheet in and that was on a reach!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

On day 2 we had
35kts on a beam reach. He had mid boom sheeting and a coach roof
traveler and you could not ease the main with any control and it was a
bitch to sheet in and that was on a reach!

I notice you don't mention the boat. My C&C 32 had no such problems and
the mainsheet and traveler were not updated. Busted again, Sloco!

Now quick, make up the boat you were on!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"Capt" Rob scribbled thusly:
Now quick, make up the boat you were on!

OzOne wrote:
Heh heh,,,seems you commonly have this train of thought....

BTW, It's nor unusual for mid boom sheeted boats to have problems with
the sheet.
It's all those kids sitting on the coachouse spilling their red
cordial on the blocks.

That, plus the sheet lead which has a lot of blocks (ie drag
+ extra line length) to make up for the lack of leverage and
the lead which is usually to an awkward place (after all, it
has to be "out of the way") instead of to a trimmer's location.

DSK