posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

Default Thanks Doug!

Doug,
We have received your generous donation to our Katrina Rebuilding Fund, and
all we can say is thank you, thank you, thank you!
I promise you that every penny will go directly to helping school children
in a proud but devastated community in Mississippi. More than 60% of the
families in this community live at or below the poverty line, and many have
lost everything, from clothes to books. Their school was literally blown
away. They are now attending shared classes in a nearby school (in shifts)
and will soon have FEMA trailers to use.

Our goal was to raise $25,000, and to purchase and deliver the items most
needed as determined by the community. So far we are close to half of that
goal. We've purchased classroom televisions, clothes, cafeteria equipment,
books, stationery, and other AV equipment. Those things are now loaded on a
trailer, and next Sunday I will be leaving PA with 5 other volunteers and
driving/delivering the supplies that you've helped to buy.

Doug, your willingness to reach out, to give, and to have faith in us, have
touched us all, and mostly me, in a very profound way. God bless you!
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Now you've gone and ruined the bad reputation he's spent years
perfecting on this NG.

Aren't you gonna thank Bobspit?

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

I for one would like to know what is going on with or what happened to
the 500 zillion dollars already given to help the victims. Latest news
accounts state the people in N.O. are threatning to shoot people who
enter the city because they are getting no help. They want to shoot
construction workers. Army Corps. of Engineer workers are also being
targeted. They are refusing to work at night. Where did the money go?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"rgnmstr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I for one would like to know what is going on with or what happened to
the 500 zillion dollars already given to help the victims. Latest news
accounts state the people in N.O. are threatning to shoot people who
enter the city because they are getting no help. They want to shoot
construction workers. Army Corps. of Engineer workers are also being
targeted. They are refusing to work at night. Where did the money go?

Good question. I sure as heck don't know. I can tell you that we've decided
bureaucracy is a dirty word. We're paying our own overhead, raising as much
as we can, and funnelling it all directly into the laps of people who need
it desparately. We did our homework, researched (ahem, Scouted out) and
found people who were quietly suffering. It's hard for them to accept our
help because they are very proud folks.
This is just phase I. In the Spring, we are returning with machines,
equipment, hand tools, and manpower. We'll install air conditioners,
boilers, porches, roofs, windows, doors, electrical systems, patios, and
anything else you can imagine. Right now, the same students and teachers who
are going to do all that work, are working on paying for it all. It may be
the most important lesson they learn in high school.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"rgnmstr" wrote
I for one would like to know what is going on with or what happened to
the 500 zillion dollars already given to help the victims.

Maybe to the same place approx 1/3 the money sent to Iraq went?

Scout wrote:
Good question. I sure as heck don't know. I can tell you that we've decided
bureaucracy is a dirty word. We're paying our own overhead, raising as much
as we can, and funnelling it all directly into the laps of people who need
it desparately. We did our homework, researched (ahem, Scouted out) and
found people who were quietly suffering. It's hard for them to accept our
help because they are very proud folks.

They're also suffering a double or triple whammy IMHO.
Property destroyed, possessions scattered, employment
gone... contractors brought in who are given a special
license to hire illegal immigrants at the lowest possible
wages, so these people can't even get jobs rebuilding their
own towns.

This is just phase I. In the Spring, we are returning with machines,
equipment, hand tools, and manpower. We'll install air conditioners,
boilers, porches, roofs, windows, doors, electrical systems, patios, and
anything else you can imagine. Right now, the same students and teachers who
are going to do all that work, are working on paying for it all. It may be
the most important lesson they learn in high school.

That's a GREAT idea, and it is a very important lesson. Let
the students put their knowledge, new skills, and youthful
muscles to work for a good cause.

Regards
Doug King

Add it up, Doug! Capt. Rob ASA 84 November 15th 05 10:39 AM
Doug Struck Out Capt. Rob ASA 6 October 28th 05 06:59 PM
Doug is an Idiot Capt. Rob ASA 1 October 26th 05 10:44 PM
Ping Doug! Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 26th 05 08:44 PM
Doug the Navigator Capt. Rob ASA 29 October 23rd 05 02:04 AM