Gary

Default Great Boats

So what are the great boats? I think most would agree it isn't any
Benehuntalina. What about Valiants? Folkboats? Fast Passage 39?

What are the great all round boats considering seakindliness,
seaworthyness, speed, simplicity and the other attributes of a great
sailboat.

Gaz
Capt. Rob

So what are the great boats? I think most would agree it isn't any
Benehuntalina. What about Valiants? Folkboats? Fast Passage 39?

Oh boy.

RB
35s5
NY

Maxprop

"Gary" wrote in message
So what are the great boats? I think most would agree it isn't any
Benehuntalina. What about Valiants? Folkboats? Fast Passage 39?

What are the great all round boats considering seakindliness,
seaworthyness, speed, simplicity and the other attributes of a great
sailboat.

The 40 and 41 Passports.

Max

Capt. Rob

The 40 and 41 Passports.

Those are good boats, but in truth there are a lot of good boats at
various price points. I view great boats as the ones that reshaped the
industry and sailing world. For that reason I'd call J24, Catalina 22,
25, 27, 30, CD Typhoon and the Rhodes 19 all great boats. For a price
be damned list, you can go on endlessly with Baltics, Swans and
Oysters....all great quality vessels. It's kinda of a useless list to
make without breaking it down by application. We chose our "great boat"
by application/intended usage.

RB
35s5
NY

DSK

"Gary" wrote
So what are the great boats? I think most would agree it isn't any
Benehuntalina. What about Valiants? Folkboats? Fast Passage 39?

The issue with the Benehuntalina crowd isn't that they're not pretty
good boats (many of them) but that they're so common.

What are the great all round boats considering seakindliness,
seaworthyness, speed, simplicity and the other attributes of a great
sailboat.

Usually the key attributes of a sailboat are functional opposites.
Seakindliness is very easy to achieve with a heavy boat, and a heavy
boat is slow.

Draft is a keey issue as well IMHO

Maxprop wrote:
The 40 and 41 Passports.

Shannon

Hinckley

Morris

Personally, I'd consider something like this
http://www.boatshow.com/Passoa54.html

Anything built by Carroll, Holby, or New Orleans Marine.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. Rob

Personally, I'd consider something like this
http://www.boatshow.com/Passoa54.html

Like I said, it's a pretty pointless question. A Menger Cat is a great
boat if that's what fits your sailing grounds and other requirements.
When we made a list of what we wanted in a boat, we looked to some
"premium" makes that failed to make the grade by basic design. A great
boat is determined by what your needs are and how well they are met by
a given design, not by some Trawler clown doing google searches for
boats he'll never own or even sail.
Gary, if you are serious about the question try drawing up some
parameters. What size, typical sailing conditions expected, cost and so
on. If you sailing in an area with too little water a lot of great
boats won't be so great for you.

Robert B
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob

You can't do better than a Nordica 30'.

Actually there are a ton of boats that do exactly what the Nordica does
and they do it far better. But there aren't too many boats that do what
a Menger does, which is why it's a standout. Jeff's PDQ is also in that
arena though there are other good cats on the market.
If your boat is specific to your needs and does better than others at
the price point then you have a great boat. Loco does not have a great
boat because there are boats better suited for his needs.

RB
35s5...a great boat
NY

DSK

Capt. Rob wrote:
... Loco does not have a great
boat because there are boats better suited for his needs.

I guess you know what Loco "needs"?

Why not give us a list of 30 footers that are roomier & faster?

DSK

Capt. Rob

guess you know what Loco "needs"?

Why not give us a list of 30 footers that are roomier & faster?

Guess you don't read people's posts. Typical selfish powerboater. Loco
has already stated MANY times that he doesn't cruise. So a J29 would
have served him better as it's faster, has rig options and a racing
class that actually can be found in many areas. Loco picked a
cruiser/racer and yet he admits he doesn't do anything but races and
daysails.
Not a good choice based on the info given by Loco, now is it?

RB
35s5...the right boat for daysails, racing AND weekend cruises!
NY

Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
Fiberglass loss of strength Mic Cruising 1 October 15th 05 08:03 PM
Three-quarters of $billion in boats destroyed by Katrina alone [email protected] General 1 October 13th 05 12:05 AM
do you have something to sell (or want to buy) useful to the folks doing the great circle loop? noone cares Cruising 0 October 9th 05 12:32 PM