Capt. Rob

Default Who Owns the Nicest Sailboat???

Right. I forgot. Cruising for you means returning to the slip every
night to plug in.

Ever hear of a Genset, Jeff? Ever hear of going somewhere and renting a
slip?

Oh boy. Some cruiser.

RB
35s5....a nicer boat
NY

Capt. Rob

Don't forget, aside from our normal storage, which probably exceeds
yours, we have an entire third cabin, bigger than any of yours, to use
as a guest cabin or pantry.

Don't forget, Jeff, the PDQ is a larger boat overall. It should have
these things, but as I was aboard the 36 I must say I was more
impressed with the space usage on the Gemini (which was much newer I
admit).

RB
35s5...a better performing boat!
NY

Capt. Rob

Why? For and aft births are over 7 feet long?

And 6 inches high! And no overhead hatch!

???Of course there's an overhead hatch in the V and that birth is over
7 feet. Aft cabin has opening port and ducted vents for AC and 12V fan.
On a 92 degree day it was quite comfortable.
As for the storage space, I'll post pics and that will end that. You
have no single storage space to match it's huge size...not even close.
There's also ample storage elsewhere...quite amazing for a boat of this
type.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob

So, Bubbles, am I to conclude that a man is measured by his possessions

rather than his character, at least in your vernacular?

No, not entirely, but you can learn about someone by looking at the
choices they've made. For example....

Mooron bought a Nordic 30. He is clearly bought into all the full keel
crap created by sorry owners of such boat. For most sailing conditions
a fin keel boat is faster and more fun of course. Full keel boats are
nearly gone from production now for that very reason. We can assume
that Mooron is someone who listens to hype and ignores hard numbers.

Loco owns a Express 30. He also claims to have money to buy what he
wants. He also claims to only daysail and race. So why a 30 foot
cruiser/racer dated in every way? Why not a truly fast boat? We can
assume that Loco is either lying about what he can buy or is somewhat
cheap. Sadly if it's the latter, he's not being good to himself and
that's very sad indeed.

Scotty bought a Sieldemann 30. I've teased him a lot for it, but in the
real world he's a smart sailor. He ignored resale worries and bought a
boat that fit his needs NOW. Not being a man of wealth he sails a well
sized vessel that exceeded his expectations for the dollars spent. We
can assume Scotty is a tough minded individual who goes his own way
even in the face of critism, quite the opposite of Mooron.

Doug bought a Trawler. He had also been looking at sailboats prior to
that. In the end he traded his true claimed passion for a floating
motorhome. Why? Well, we can draw man conclusions. Perhaps he's not
well. Perhaps his wife applied certain pressures. When an able sailor
buys a powerboat we're always left confused.

Jeff bought a PDQ 36. It's an amazingly credible family platform for
long distance sailing. He's obviously a fellow who ignores conventional
thinking and buys what he thinks serves his situation best, rather than
making blanket condemnations such as "I'd never buy a multi."

I bought a 35s5....like Jeff I considered how we would sail, where and
how often. I made a very practical choice, picking a boat that was
great for daysails and long weekends. I also chose a vessel I knew I
could easily trade up from. My pick was more practical than emotional.
And that's how I tend to make such purchases, even when it's something
I love.

So we can learn about people from the choices they make.

RB
35s5...the Perfect Boat!
NY

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
Right. I forgot. Cruising for you means returning to the slip every
night to plug in.

Ever hear of a Genset, Jeff? Ever hear of going somewhere and renting a
slip?

Oh boy. Some cruiser.

So tell us Bob, are you the type of "cruiser" that always stays at
slips, or are you the type that runs a genset all night?

You know what we call both of these types of "cruisers" around here?
POWERBOATERS!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

RB
35s5....a nicer powerboat
NY

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
Don't forget, aside from our normal storage, which probably exceeds
yours, we have an entire third cabin, bigger than any of yours, to use
as a guest cabin or pantry.

Don't forget, Jeff, the PDQ is a larger boat overall. It should have
these things, but as I was aboard the 36 I must say I was more
impressed with the space usage on the Gemini (which was much newer I
admit).

The earlier PDQ's were not intended as long distance cruisers and had
less stowage and ventilation. In the mid-90's hatches we added (we
have 16) and stowage was redesigned. The final deciding factor
between the PDQ and the Prout 38 was more stowage on the PDQ. (And
prout was in freefall be then.) Remember, we lived onboard for most
of two years - and we're a family of packrats!

RB
35s5...a better deforming boat!
NY

Capt. Rob

So tell us Bob, are you the type of "cruiser" that always stays at
slips, or are you the type that runs a genset all night?

I'll let you know. We never had a genset before and we usually anchored
out. We took a slip at Centerport once but that was when Suzanne was 7
months pregnant. Otherwise we anchored or stole a mooring late.
We're actually taking a wait and see attitude about the genset. I have
access to a nice one, but won't install it if we decide it's not
needed. My friend has one on his Tayana and another on a C&C 34+. They
love running the AC on the more brutally hot nights. BTW, the PDQ I was
on had an expensive AC system and a genset. Your objection to these
things really makes no sense. If you like a frill get it....if not,
then don't. You have a boat that doesn't heel and that's a frill I
don't want...and it's more indicative of what type of sailor you choose
to be than any genset. Raffles Light cruises the world with her genset
and AC systems. Big deal.

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
Why? For and aft births are over 7 feet long?

And 6 inches high! And no overhead hatch!

???Of course there's an overhead hatch in the V and that birth is over
7 feet. Aft crawlspace has opening port and ducted vents for AC and 12V fan.
On a 92 degree day it was quite comfortable.

Stop! Stop! You're cracking us up!!! You're the only "sailor" in
history who has ever bragged about how comfortable their boat is
because it has A/C at the dock! (Except a few lonely men thrown out
by their women and forced to live dockside. So is family life getting
a bit stressful?)

You just don't get it - lots of boaters can afford A/C, but they just
don't want it. We've slept on board an average of 40 nights a year
for the last four years with only one night spent at the dock. We
don't call anchoring out "horrific," we call it a great night's sleep.
Even when we spent at lot of time dockside in Florida on our trip
there were only a few nights that were oppressive.

As for the storage space, I'll post pics and that will end that. You
have no single storage space to match it's huge size...not even close.

Unless it has 7 foot standing space, you're wrong.

And please, learn how to spell "berth." Your lubberlyness is just too
much!
Capt. Rob

You just don't get it - lots of boaters can afford A/C, but they just
don't want it.

And a lot of boaters have it and like it. So? Claiming a feature is "no
good" because you don't have it is pretty sad. And in our case it came
with the boat and is new. You're jumping up and down over a nice boat
feature we didn't even install. Pretty funny.

RB
35s5...the COOLER boat!
NY

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
So tell us Bob, are you the type of "cruiser" that always stays at
slips, or are you the type that runs a genset all night?

I'll let you know. We never had a genset before and we usually anchored
out. We took a slip at Centerport once but that was when Suzanne was 7
months pregnant. Otherwise we anchored or stole a mooring late.
We're actually taking a wait and see attitude about the genset. I have
access to a nice one, but won't install it if we decide it's not
needed. My friend has one on his Tayana and another on a C&C 34+. They
love running the AC on the more brutally hot nights.

I'm sure the people on the next mooring over love it also. Only
assholes run gensets in busy anchorages. I know - you'll claim you
would only use it if no one else is around - that's what they all say.

BTW, the PDQ I was
on had an expensive AC system and a genset.

Most PDQ have outboards with baby alternators and need a genset just
to run a fridge. If I had to do it over, I might forgo the large
freezer and make do with the standard fridge (9 cu. ft.) that could be
powered by a Honda portable. But running a genset just to run A/C at
a mooring is, for a small sailboat, an abomination. (Large powerboats
and very large sailboats tend to need them, but that another issue.)

Your objection to these
things really makes no sense. If you like a frill get it....if not,
then don't.

Then why would you claim everyone should "kill themselves" if they
don't have exactly the same features that you have? This is your
issue, not mine. I like all types of boats from small dinks to large
powerboats. I know super-wealthy people who go out in beat up
powerboats for fishing - more power to them! I'm envious of those
that buy old boats and fix them up and then take off for 20 years! I
like all of the gadgets though I tend to leave them behind when
cruising. (My cars have better nav systems than my boats.) But I
don't spend all my time bragging about how my boat is better than
everyone else's. I don't list everyone's boats and claim they're crap
compared to mine. I don't list all my assets to prove how wealthy I
am. Only a pathetic, insecure jackass does these things. Someone
like you, Monkey Balls.

You have a boat that doesn't heel and that's a frill I
don't want...and it's more indicative of what type of sailor you choose
to be than any genset. Raffles Light cruises the world with her genset
and AC systems. Big deal.

RB, a pathetic, insecure jackass who might own a
35s5 which stays in a slip in
NY because otherwise it would be horrific

Sailboat or Trawler Capt. Rob ASA 4 November 4th 05 06:12 PM
firefly sailboat Paul Oman Boat Building 2 October 26th 05 11:37 PM
Speedball 14ft sailboat? Paul Stevens General 3 October 24th 05 12:17 PM
Any sailboat similar to Tayana 460 Pilot ? [email protected] Cruising 0 October 22nd 05 10:55 PM
FS: 1988 Catalina 27 sailboat in Houston, TX area Des Marketplace 0 October 20th 05 10:10 AM