DSK

Default Who Owns the Nicest Sailboat???

Katy owns a flimsy Kirie Elite!

rgnmstr wrote:
In most circles Elites are considered a step up from a Beneteau.
Higher performance, better build quality and a nicer interior. What a
******.

I've heard that some of the Kirie Elite series were not well built, I
know of a 30 footer down here that is reputed to oilcan badly (although
it sails fast)... haven't seen it myself but it's also reported to have
suffered some structural mishap.

I've personally given several Kirie Elites and Kirie Feelings a close
inspection and found them to be very well built. If I could find a
Holland designed 37 K/CB that wasn't all messed up by ham-handed owners
mods, I'd probably buy it even now.

The Kirie built boats are definitely a cut above the Beneteau...
although I think any French product suffers from a bit of a negative
image with Americans

DSK

Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

Where shall I start?

With the limitations of your vessel..... the dock

Your boat is dated. I like it, but it's done.

It's a Classic! Built when standards were much higher and Craftsmanship was
still a word used in production.

Your interior is cheaper than mine by a mile. Fit and finish on my boat
is better.

The interior of the C&C 35s5 is veneer and plastic.... no substance....
like, may I point out.. it's owner.
The interior of my boat is solid Teak... warm and comfortable and has
character... much like it's owner.

My bowsprit is ALL stainless. No rot.

What part of "solid teak" evaded you?

I have probably double your storage. In fact the 35s5 had a 2nd aft
stateroom option which on my boat is ALL storage!

Balderdash.... I have way more capacity than your flimsy harbour punt.

I have modern nav gear, such as the new Garmin 192c.

I have Furuno, Magellan, Datamarine...and Garmin!

Your boat is not faster on ANY tack in ANY conditions. Get real!

You'd be suckin' my wake downhill you fin keeled floozie!

I like your boat. It has some charm. But in the REAL world, my boat
does everything better and faster.

My boat does it in Style, Comfort and Grace..... 3 traits unattainable by
your vessel!

CM

Capt. Rob

I've heard that some of the Kirie Elite series were not well built, I
know of a 30 footer down here that is reputed to oilcan badly (although

it sails fast)... haven't seen it myself but it's also reported to have

suffered some structural mishap.

Doug, you're quite right. Some Elites oilcanned and build quality
varied greatly by the late 80s. The 326 we looked at was very sloppy
build quality and there's almost no resale on them here. None of the
French forums thought the Elites were better build than the Beneteaus's
of the late 80's and early 90's. Later we learned the they were only
finishing boats on order and dropping and hiring crews in between.
Quality dropped badly. I got this info from three owners and a fellow
who passed on the Elite for that very reason.
Stepping aboard the 1990 326 we found that the pedestal wobbled because
this cockpit glass was thin. Same for the stanchions. Fit and finish
below was sloppy and cheap. The layout was excellent however.
As usual Loco makes broad statements about boats with no real
knowledge. The First 35s5 is built better than ANY of the Elites.

RB
35s5...the best quality boat here
NY

Capt. Rob

What a crock! You know that isn't true! Or maybe you don't, which
would be rather sad.

Like I said, the starboard storage is HUGE, bigger than any storage
space of ANY boat on this list, including the PDQ 36. It was designated
as an aft cabin on some European versions for charter. There's room for
an INFLATED dinghy in there. I'll post pics to prove it shortly.

RB
35s5...best stowage of any boat here REGARDLESS of size!
NY

Capt. Rob

Except sleeping overnight on a bendy would be horrific!

Why? For and aft births are over 7 feet long? We have air conditioning
and heat and 8 opening hatches and portlights. We have two DVD LCD
screens fed by a DVD player and Video Ipod. Headroom is 6'4 and our
head is sized for an adult or two!
Sailors are quite comfortable cruising on 27 foot Albergs, so why
woulld a 35.5 with three times more volume be uncomfortable. Are you
someone who's wider than they are tall?

RB
35s5...the most comfortable boat here
NY

DSK

"Capt." Rob wrote:
.... The First 35s5 is built better than ANY of the Elites.

I'm glad to hear you say that, as it confirms what I said- anyone with
sense would rather have a Kirie.

DSK

Capt. Rob

I'm glad to hear you say that, as it confirms what I said- anyone with
sense would rather have a Kirie.

???? Unfortunatley not one owner I spoke to agreed with you. In fact
the owners said things like, "only buy the kirie if you can get it
cheap." Even the broker of the 326 said it was lightly built compared
to the First series. I'm glad to see you makie posts like this Doug.
Anyone is welcome to research the 90's Elites and find out what I did.
I also seriously doubt you inspected ANY post 1990 Elite as they are
VERY lightly built and mostly saw use in charter. Again...it helps to
check into the French forums. Oh and Donal reported sturdier build on
his First series, but I guess he's a liar!

RB
35s5...better than any Kirie by a mile...and faster!
NY

Maxprop

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff owns a cat that he has to motor 50% of the time...he said so!
Doug owns a Trawler!!!!
Mooron owns a slow boat to China!!!
Katy owns a flimsy Kirie Elite!
Bart's boat is a PROJECT!!!!
Neal's boat is a CORONADO!!!!
Thom's boat is small and slow!!!
Loco's boat is dated and ugly!!!!
Steve doesn't even have a boat!
Crantz doesn't even have a boat!!!!

Now.....the First 35s5....offshore capable or fun fast daysailing or
racing...a blast on weekend trips...fantastic roomy interior...room for
adults and kids....air conditioning and heat...big cockpit and swim
platform....and on and on and on....

No boat here compares overall or feature for feature! Not even CLOSE!
All you can do is cry that we'll only sail it locally! Boo hoo!!!! I
also have a STI coming that I WON'T drive beyond 140 MPH!

Fools, all of you!

Robert B
35s5...the best boat here!
NY

So, Bubbles, am I to conclude that a man is measured by his possessions
rather than his character, at least in your vernacular?

Max

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
What a crock! You know that isn't true! Or maybe you don't, which
would be rather sad.

Like I said, the starboard storage is HUGE, bigger than any storage
space of ANY boat on this list, including the PDQ 36. It was designated
as an aft cabin on some European versions for charter. There's room for
an INFLATED dinghy in there. I'll post pics to prove it shortly.

Post all you want. IIRC the twin cabin version was split down the
middle, meaning the port side cabin lost space, and the head was moved
forward to where the chart table is on yours. That locker may be
large, but it wasn't he size of the cabin.

RB
35s5...best stowage of any boat here REGARDLESS of size!
NY

Don't forget, aside from our normal storage, which probably exceeds
yours, we have an entire third cabin, bigger than any of yours, to use
as a guest cabin or pantry. We keep a 13 foot kayak on deck, and it
doesn't interfere with any rigging or walkway.
Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
Except sleeping overnight on a bendy would be horrific!

Why? For and aft births are over 7 feet long?

And 6 inches high! And no overhead hatch!

We have air conditioning

Right. I forgot. Cruising for you means returning to the slip every
night to plug in.

and heat and 8 opening hatches and portlights. We have two DVD LCD
screens fed by a DVD player and Video Ipod. Headroom is 6'4 and our
head is sized for an adult or two!
Sailors are quite comfortable cruising on 27 foot Albergs, so why
woulld a 35.5 with three times more volume be uncomfortable. Are you
someone who's wider than they are tall?

You mean they actually anchored overnight??? Why, that would have
been horrific!!!!

RB
35s5...the most plugged boat here
NY

Sailboat or Trawler Capt. Rob ASA 4 November 4th 05 06:12 PM
firefly sailboat Paul Oman Boat Building 2 October 26th 05 11:37 PM
Speedball 14ft sailboat? Paul Stevens General 3 October 24th 05 12:17 PM
Any sailboat similar to Tayana 460 Pilot ? [email protected] Cruising 0 October 22nd 05 10:55 PM
FS: 1988 Catalina 27 sailboat in Houston, TX area Des Marketplace 0 October 20th 05 10:10 AM