Martin Baxter

Default A Ship of Fools

Jeff wrote:

I can sail a racing boat any time I want. You'll never be able to
wake up at Merchant's Row, or Pulpit Harbor, or Long Point, or
Hadley's, or the Sassafras, or the Wye, or the Alligator River, or the
Little Snake, or Cabbage Key, or any one of several hundred other
places we've been to.

We get a guy in our bay a few times every summer with a PDQ, scoots
right up to the head of the bay and anchors in about 4 feet of water, he
never has a problem with idiots anchoring too close to him. I envy both
the ability to get into water that shallow and the avoidance of the
jerks!

Cheers
Martin
Bob Crantz

Think of this:

Watch a group of people when someone openly farts in the group. You'll see
the majority of people sniffing to smell the fart. Once whiffed, they
express outrage. Now, have you ever smelled a fart that had a pleasant odor?
Then why the sniffing?

Robbie comes here to fart. He does a great job!

Amen!

"jlrogers" wrote in message

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
k.net...
Your trolling abilities are certainly within an order of
magnitude of those of the Great Capt Neal during the Golden Era.

Amen!

He "is" a master at eliciting comment. Now why do you think that is?
Analysis, please.

Thom Stewart

Default Bull Ship of a Fool

Scotty,

The difference between Nutsy & Jeff is, a lie & truth. A recognized fact
of long standing. Goes back to the shackles on the Mooring cleats

Ole Thom
P/S the group is hurting with the Meows and Nutsy both but it is
recovering. You deserve a big part of the credit. Thanks!

Jonathan Ganz

In article , Martin Baxter wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I can sail a racing boat any time I want. You'll never be able to
wake up at Merchant's Row, or Pulpit Harbor, or Long Point, or
Hadley's, or the Sassafras, or the Wye, or the Alligator River, or the
Little Snake, or Cabbage Key, or any one of several hundred other
places we've been to.

We get a guy in our bay a few times every summer with a PDQ, scoots
right up to the head of the bay and anchors in about 4 feet of water, he
never has a problem with idiots anchoring too close to him. I envy both
the ability to get into water that shallow and the avoidance of the
jerks!

Cheers
Martin

When we had the Belize 43, we gently beached it with a kedge a couple
of times. That sure made getting to the island(s) easy.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jeff

Martin Baxter wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I can sail a racing boat any time I want. You'll never be able to
wake up at Merchant's Row, or Pulpit Harbor, or Long Point, or
Hadley's, or the Sassafras, or the Wye, or the Alligator River, or the
Little Snake, or Cabbage Key, or any one of several hundred other
places we've been to.

We get a guy in our bay a few times every summer with a PDQ, scoots
right up to the head of the bay and anchors in about 4 feet of water, he
never has a problem with idiots anchoring too close to him. I envy both
the ability to get into water that shallow and the avoidance of the
jerks!

My favorite is one:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Along_the_Way/Hadley.jpg
A NY Yacht Club cruise and a race ending at Wood's Hole meant that
several hundred boats decided to stay at Hadley's, where normally a
dozen or so might stay. We snuck up this little cove and double
anchored in about 4-5 feet. Every 10 minutes a boat would head our
way and then realize it wasn't going to work. The boat on the right
foreground about as close in as a keel boat could get.

One time we anchored in Newfound Harbor (near Key West) and I hopped
overboard to clear out a clogged seacock. I had flippers on, and the
keel came down on a flipper and held it on the bottom a while. I
guess we cut it a bit too close that time.

Jonathan Ganz

In article , Jeff wrote:
Martin Baxter wrote:
My favorite is one:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Along_the_Way/Hadley.jpg
A NY Yacht Club cruise and a race ending at Wood's Hole meant that
several hundred boats decided to stay at Hadley's, where normally a
dozen or so might stay. We snuck up this little cove and double
anchored in about 4-5 feet. Every 10 minutes a boat would head our
way and then realize it wasn't going to work. The boat on the right
foreground about as close in as a keel boat could get.

One time we anchored in Newfound Harbor (near Key West) and I hopped
overboard to clear out a clogged seacock. I had flippers on, and the
keel came down on a flipper and held it on the bottom a while. I
guess we cut it a bit too close that time.

Pretty crowded! When I was in Belize, I regularly checked the depth by
seeing if I could actually get a flipper underneath the keel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Scotty

Today in Manhattan, while I was eating lunch on W57th St., I
noticed several busses go by with the same message on the side,
it read,
''Hey New Yorkers, Do your part to help clean up the LIS, Always
FLUSH TWICE''

--
Fleet Admiral Scotty
8450 AUSTIN ST APT 4K

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
nk.net...

"
Did you also learn to live the the stench of the floating fecal

matter that
is floating past you?

Capt. Robert B
Boatless
City Island, NY

Scotty

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

I can sail a racing boat any time I want. You'll never be

able to
wake up at Merchant's Row, or Pulpit Harbor, or Long Point,

or
Hadley's, or the Sassafras, or the Wye, or the Alligator

River, or the
Little Snake, or Cabbage Key, or any one of several hundred

other
places we've been to.

We get a guy in our bay a few times every summer with a PDQ,

scoots
right up to the head of the bay and anchors in about 4 feet of

water, he
never has a problem with idiots anchoring too close to him. I

envy both
the ability to get into water that shallow and the avoidance of

the
jerks!

I can anchor in 4' of water.

Cheers
Scotty

Scotty

Amen, Jeff!

"Jeff" wrote in message
The problem is you only see one aspect of sailing and judge

everybody
and every boat according to that. But boating has many

dimensions and
enjoyment comes in many ways.

Your chosen boat boat may be fun to sail for a few hours, and

if
that's all you plan to do with it, it had better be a *lot* of

fun.
Frankly, if I want to daysail, I can take out one of my

dinghies. Or
I can go to one of the clubs where I'm a member. I love to

sail 505's
and Solings, I'm just too busy cruising to do it often.

Sorry Bob, I sailed for many years on small boats in sheltered

waters.
I've even got some silver from my racing days. I also spent

years
instructing in dinghies, and running collegiate regattas. I

have
nothing against daysailing and still do it whenever I can.

And for a while a long cruise usually meant 20 miles up the

coast for
a weekend. But then I got bit by the cruising bug. There's

nothing
like packing up for a few weeks and deciding when you leave the

harbor
whether to head North or South. Or having to analyze the

weather each
day to pick an anchorage. Or visiting some small island that

only a
handful of people will ever get to. If it means I don't have

the same
"feel" at the helm as a racing boat, no biggie. If my boat

doesn't
heel like a monohull, that's an advantage. I can be 50 miles

from the
nearest town and still take a hot shower. My queen size bunk

has two
large hatches above, so A/C is never needed. And I have

another like
it for guests. I carry enough food for a month, and enough

tools and
spares to handle whatever comes. I even have a spare engine!

I can sail a racing boat any time I want. You'll never be able

wake up at Merchant's Row, or Pulpit Harbor, or Long Point, or
Hadley's, or the Sassafras, or the Wye, or the Alligator River,

or the
Little Snake, or Cabbage Key, or any one of several hundred

other
places we've been to.

Sorry Bob, you're a landlubber.

Capt. Rob wrote:
but the only advantage you seem to have over me a an air

conditioner
that you can only use at the dock.

Our boat handles better than your boat. It's more fun to

sail. It cost
a LOT less than 70K and we bought it outright. It's gone up

in value
for the last 4 years as well. It's fun to daysail, even for a

short
sail. It doesn't need to be stripped down or sailed hard to

be fun.
That's not only an advantage over your boat, it's the whole

reason
we're out there.

Sorry, Jeff. You're a powerboater.

RB