Martin Baxter

Default A Ship of Fools

Bob Crantz wrote:

Is the corollary that Boobsie makes a poor sailor?

Oh come on now! Bob is no sailor, he is what he does best, a used boat
salesman! Let's face it, he's on a par with the lowest form of life in
the universe, a used car salesman. Behaves exactly the same, the car
guy may drive a Rolls, but he will never have class; Bob may someday own
a Swan, but will never be a sailor. Bob is the Rodney Dangerfield of
ASA, he can't get no respect!

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Cheers
Martin
rgnmstr

We plan to race her!

LOL ..................... I love a good joke at lunch.

rgnmstr

It's gone up in value for the last 4 years as well.

Yea that happens with French boats.

Capt. Rob

Bob is the Rodney Dangerfield of
ASA, he can't get no respect!

Bwahahahahaha! Right on!

RB
35s5...the better boat
NY

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
That's not only an advantage over your boat, it's the whole reason
we're out there.

You say that as though its actually out of sight of your slip.

Sorry Bob, you're a landlubber.

Sorry, Jeff. You're a powerboater.

jlrogers

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
k.net...
Your trolling abilities are certainly within an order of
magnitude of those of the Great Capt Neal during the Golden Era.

Amen!

He "is" a master at eliciting comment. Now why do you think that is?
Analysis, please.

Jeff

The problem is you only see one aspect of sailing and judge everybody
and every boat according to that. But boating has many dimensions and
enjoyment comes in many ways.

Your chosen boat boat may be fun to sail for a few hours, and if
that's all you plan to do with it, it had better be a *lot* of fun.
Frankly, if I want to daysail, I can take out one of my dinghies. Or
I can go to one of the clubs where I'm a member. I love to sail 505's
and Solings, I'm just too busy cruising to do it often.

Sorry Bob, I sailed for many years on small boats in sheltered waters.
I've even got some silver from my racing days. I also spent years
instructing in dinghies, and running collegiate regattas. I have
nothing against daysailing and still do it whenever I can.

And for a while a long cruise usually meant 20 miles up the coast for
a weekend. But then I got bit by the cruising bug. There's nothing
like packing up for a few weeks and deciding when you leave the harbor
whether to head North or South. Or having to analyze the weather each
day to pick an anchorage. Or visiting some small island that only a
handful of people will ever get to. If it means I don't have the same
"feel" at the helm as a racing boat, no biggie. If my boat doesn't
heel like a monohull, that's an advantage. I can be 50 miles from the
nearest town and still take a hot shower. My queen size bunk has two
large hatches above, so A/C is never needed. And I have another like
it for guests. I carry enough food for a month, and enough tools and
spares to handle whatever comes. I even have a spare engine!

I can sail a racing boat any time I want. You'll never be able to
wake up at Merchant's Row, or Pulpit Harbor, or Long Point, or
Hadley's, or the Sassafras, or the Wye, or the Alligator River, or the
Little Snake, or Cabbage Key, or any one of several hundred other
places we've been to.

Sorry Bob, you're a landlubber.

Capt. Rob wrote:
but the only advantage you seem to have over me a an air conditioner
that you can only use at the dock.

Our boat handles better than your boat. It's more fun to sail. It cost
a LOT less than 70K and we bought it outright. It's gone up in value
for the last 4 years as well. It's fun to daysail, even for a short
sail. It doesn't need to be stripped down or sailed hard to be fun.
That's not only an advantage over your boat, it's the whole reason
we're out there.

Sorry, Jeff. You're a powerboater.

RB
35s5---a better boat by far

rgnmstr

Gotta love those cats. Remind the Boob of how much deck space you have.

Jeff

rgnmstr wrote:
Gotta love those cats. Remind the Boob of how much deck space you have.

What use would all that space be for boobie? Sunning after swimming
back from the beach? Doubtful.

It certainly comes in handy when anchoring or setting the chute. But
the real nice thing is that the dog understood immediately that the
mesh tramp was the perfect doggie head. Its a good thing we have a
washdown hose!
John Cairns

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
John: A Catalina 28, John? I can't even begin to address this here.
We love sailing. And our engines stay off, even when our speed drops to
1 knot. Learn to live with that.

Capt. Robert B
Beneteau First 35s5...The Better Boat
City Island, NY

I own a boat that I can actually sail myself. I am happy with the choice I
made. I enjoy looking at boats, but I've never seriously considered going to
a larger boat, and I'm very familiar with the "two-foot-itis" syndrome, you
seem to be a poster boy for this malady. As far a keeping the engines off,
all this really means is that you've never done any cruising, sad
considering the fact that you live in an area that's a good starting point
for extended cruising. We're very happy that you're pleased with "your" new
boat, but the way you go on about it, we're wondering who you're really
trying to convince.

John Cairns