~^ beancounter ~^

Default GPS-an honest answer...?

cool...thanx for the reply...enjoy the bay
sailing...i raced 505's a few times in the bay...

what a blast....@ 20 kts of wind...

Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
cool...thanx for the reply...enjoy the bay
sailing...i raced 505's a few times in the bay...

what a blast....@ 20 kts of wind...

Easily. We did a slightly late full moon sail on Monday
night. Usually, the wind calms down in the evening, and it started out
that way, with barely a breeze... definitely under 5 knots. We put up
the biggest sail on the boat (110%) and took the nearly permanant reef
out of the main (mostly, we just leave it in). We were just ghosting
along, keeping an eye out for tankers and such. Then, about 10 pm, the
wind really picked up. Switched to the smallest jib, reefed the main,
and got back to find 25+ kts near the dock. Docking was
fuuuun. Fortunately, the wind blows toward the dock (that's the good
news), but then we have to swing the boat around (it's difficult to
back down the narrow channel if there's more than 10 kts, as the wind
tends to drive you into the boats).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

~^ beancounter ~^

sounds pretty good (and fun) from near
boulder colorado this afternoon......

John Cairns

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
How many of you rely on your GPS without consulting charts these days?
How many of you back that up by using a handheld compass?
No judgements, and I'm sure some will get on a high horse after lying
about it. Just curious.

Robert B
Beneteau First 35s5
NY

Odd question from someone who's never sailed out of sight of land.

John Cairns

DSK

"Capt. Rob" wrote

John Cairns wrote:
Odd question from someone who's never sailed out of sight of land.

You mean, from someone who never sails out of sight of his slip?

I'm curious about the "handheld compass." Doesn't Booby realize that
many boats have larger, more accurate, installed compasses?

DSK

John Cairns

"Capt. Rob" wrote

John Cairns wrote:
Odd question from someone who's never sailed out of sight of land.

You mean, from someone who never sails out of sight of his slip?

I'm curious about the "handheld compass." Doesn't Booby realize that many
boats have larger, more accurate, installed compasses?

DSK

Thanks for pointing that out, Doug. Was so struck by the irony of the
initial question didn't even notice it.

John Cairns

Capt. Rob

I'm curious about the "handheld compass." Doesn't Booby realize that
many boats have larger, more accurate, installed compasses?

Sorry, I thought that a sailor would have realized that a handheld
compass must be a heandheld BEARING COMPASS!!!! Guess not!!! Wait, let
me look up NON BEARING compasses in my sailing books....NOPE!!!

Bwahahahahahahahahaha! You farted in the elevator again, losers! Oh,
and I have the better boat!

RB

Scotty

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use paper charts all the time, and a compass doing DR's.

me too.

Then block
numbers.

What's that?

Scotty

Scotty

OzOne wrote i

I'll ask again, what use is a hand held compass without a

chart?

It's for when he forgets where the marina outhouse is.

Scotty

Capt.Mooron

OzOne wrote in message

I'll ask again, what use is a hand held compass without a chart?

You can use it to confirm the binnacle?

If it has a sight you can still provide a better fix?

It's always proper to have a spare?

Of what use is a chart without a compass or chronograph?

Makes a nice table cloth?

Provides identification to Aids to Navigation?

Anyway......

CM

CM