NotPony

Default GPS-an honest answer...?

You're joking, right?
A commercial boat recently ran aground when their
electronics went out. They had no paper charts.
Both the captain and the owner were held
responsible.
You should ask if there is anyone foolish enough
not to carry a paper chart.
S.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
: How many of you rely on your GPS without
consulting charts these days?
: How many of you back that up by using a handheld
compass?
: No judgements, and I'm sure some will get on a
high horse after lying
: about it. Just curious.
:
: Robert B
: Beneteau First 35s5
: NY
:

Capt. Rob

You're joking, right?
A commercial boat recently ran aground when their
electronics went out. They had no paper charts.

You're living outer space if you think even 75% of boaters are carrying
paper charts anymore, but I was referring to actual use of them. I love
Doug's comment about hand compasses, so obviously a hand bearing
compass and I hope he has one...but I doubt it.

RB

Scotty

"Capt.Mooron" wrote in message

Of what use is a chart without a compass or chronograph?

Soundings.

SBV

Capt. Rob

I'll ask again, what use is a hand held compass without a chart?

Ozzy, take a deep breath. Do you mean to suggest that ANY compass has
no use without a chart?

RB

Jonathan Ganz

In article gGz5f.8240$Yk6.2098@trnddc01, NotPony wrote:
You're joking, right?
A commercial boat recently ran aground when their
electronics went out. They had no paper charts.
Both the captain and the owner were held
responsible.
You should ask if there is anyone foolish enough
not to carry a paper chart.
S.

Here's an even better one... when was the last time you updated your
charts with the local notice to mariners?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt.Mooron

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use paper charts all the time, and a compass doing DR's.

me too.

Then block
numbers.

What's that?

I believe that might mean fixes triangulated from differing sources/methods
like DR, Sextant, GPS, Radar etc.... plotted and their location "boxed" to
provide the best fix?A circle, square and triangle are often used to denote
type of fix.

Unless of course it's a reference to boxing a compass?

CM

Scotty

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use paper charts all the time, and a compass doing DR's.

me too.

Then block
numbers.

What's that?

I believe that might mean fixes triangulated from differing

sources/methods
like DR, Sextant, GPS, Radar etc.... plotted and their location

"boxed" to
provide the best fix?A circle, square and triangle are often

used to denote
type of fix.

Oh, yeah, that.

Scotty

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote
Here's an even better one... when was the last time you updated

your
charts with the local notice to mariners?

Bob updates his charts with McDonalds locations.

SV

Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
Capt. Rob wrote:
You're joking, right?
A commercial boat recently ran aground when their
electronics went out. They had no paper charts.

You're living outer space if you think even 75% of boaters are carrying
paper charts anymore, but I was referring to actual use of them. I love
Doug's comment about hand compasses, so obviously a hand bearing
compass and I hope he has one...but I doubt it.

It's just highly recommended for rec boaters. Electronics can fail. Of
course, it's highly recommended that people not be over weight and
watch their cholesterol levels, but I bet 75% of people don't do that
either.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

DSK

You're joking, right?
A commercial boat recently ran aground when their
electronics went out. They had no paper charts.

More and more common, I'm afraid.

Capt. Rob wrote:
You're living outer space if you think even 75% of boaters are carrying
paper charts anymore, but I was referring to actual use of them. I love
Doug's comment about hand compasses, so obviously a hand bearing
compass and I hope he has one...but I doubt it.

Nope. Haven't had one on the tugboat, don't need it.

OTOH we have quite a nice binnacle compass and I swung it earlier this year.

How many people swing their compass... how many know how to make up a
dev card?

How many sailors realize that a bearing can be taken with a binnacle
compass? Obviously not Bubbles.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King