Capt. Rob

Default GPS-an honest answer...?

How many of you rely on your GPS without consulting charts these days?
How many of you back that up by using a handheld compass?
No judgements, and I'm sure some will get on a high horse after lying
about it. Just curious.

Robert B
Beneteau First 35s5
NY

Martin Baxter

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

and I'm sure some will get on a high horse after lying
about it. Just curious.

New tactic Bubbles? Insult people before they reply?

I guess the bowels must be acting up again.

Cheers
Martin
Capt. Rob

and I'm sure some will get on a high horse after lying
about it. Just curious.

New tactic Bubbles? Insult people before they reply?

Well, you know I must have been talking about Martin!

Hoooh ahhh!

RB

Bob Crantz

My GPS has no mapping feature. I must use maps and charts to figure out
where I am from GPS UTC or Long/Lat.

I'm too cheap to buy on of those fancy GPS anyway.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
How many of you rely on your GPS without consulting charts these days?
How many of you back that up by using a handheld compass?
No judgements, and I'm sure some will get on a high horse after lying
about it. Just curious.

Robert B
Beneteau First 35s5
NY

Joe

I use paper charts all the time, and a compass doing DR's. Then block
numbers.

Joe

Scotty

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use paper charts all the time, and a compass doing DR's.

me too.

Then block
numbers.

What's that?

Scotty

Capt.Mooron

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use paper charts all the time, and a compass doing DR's.

me too.

Then block
numbers.

What's that?

I believe that might mean fixes triangulated from differing sources/methods
like DR, Sextant, GPS, Radar etc.... plotted and their location "boxed" to
provide the best fix?A circle, square and triangle are often used to denote
type of fix.

Unless of course it's a reference to boxing a compass?

CM

Scotty

"Capt.Mooron" wrote in message

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use paper charts all the time, and a compass doing DR's.

me too.

Then block
numbers.

What's that?

I believe that might mean fixes triangulated from differing

sources/methods
like DR, Sextant, GPS, Radar etc.... plotted and their location

"boxed" to
provide the best fix?A circle, square and triangle are often

used to denote
type of fix.

Oh, yeah, that.

Scotty

Joe

Sheeeze you yankee clowns...

Block navigation in the Gulf is long practiced by coonasses who can not
read or write.

Block Charts document the location of oil and gas drilling locations in
the Gulf of Mexico. Each oil platform has a block number on a hailing
board on the side of the platform. You go up to the platform, read the
number and look at a block chart of the gulf. You know exactly where
you are. On most courses out into the gulf you can pass close enough to
an oil platform to read the block number. The Govt leases blocks to oil
companies for the right to drill.

Joe

Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
Capt. Rob wrote:
How many of you rely on your GPS without consulting charts these days?

If anyone does, they shouldn't admit it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com