JG

Default Unconscious crew recovery

Have you every had to do one? If so, how did you do it? Obviously, something
like the LifeSling isn't going to do anything. Of course, you need to get
next to the person (I prefer to put the boat on the windward side), but then
what? Given that most sailboats have a fair amount of freeboard, it may not
be quite so simple as to "just attach a line to them and haul them in,"
especially if the person is larger vs. smaller.

I'm familiar with the various techniques out there.. like using a sail or
putting a dinghy in the water. I'm more interested in what has actually
worked (or not worked).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

DSK

JG wrote:
Have you every had to do one? If so, how did you do it? Obviously, something
like the LifeSling isn't going to do anything. Of course, you need to get
next to the person (I prefer to put the boat on the windward side), but then
what? Given that most sailboats have a fair amount of freeboard, it may not
be quite so simple as to "just attach a line to them and haul them in,"
especially if the person is larger vs. smaller.

I'm familiar with the various techniques out there.. like using a sail or
putting a dinghy in the water. I'm more interested in what has actually
worked (or not worked).

IMHO the most effective way is to put a rescue swimmer in the water.
Even working from a dinghy will be much slower & less effective.

I've never pulled an unconscious person from the water, but a few who
were so far gone with hypothermia that they could do nothing to help
themselves.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe

in 1979 I had duty in the Navy of picking up the jumpers from the
Coronado Bridge in San Deigo. They were all ( 7) unconsious and dead
except one. We had a swimmer who would tie a rope around the chest and
we would haul them up and into the LCMVP. Most were like bags of jello
with so many broken bones. The one living we strapped into a floating
liter and pulled aboard.
She died on the way to the hospital.

I think a swimmer is the best way to go, hopefully your not sailing
with just your spouse. I could yank Terry out of the water, but I know
she could not yank me out. Makes me careful on deck.

Joe

JG

Hmm... well, I was thinking that except for a couple of situations, which
would make it pretty dangerous. If the weather is really bad, wind, waves,
and/or significant current and chop, I'd be concerned about the second
person ending up in just as bad shape.

I was thinking that if one had a harness with an attachment on the back as
well as on the front (and a PFD), then it might be possible to attach a line
to someone, lower them over the side (maybe in the water, maybe not quite
in), and that person could attach another line to the MOB.

We're going to be try to do an MOB with a 150 pound mannequin in the water.
It still won't be in real world conditions... boat at anchor in calm
conditions... just to give our instructors a feel for how difficult it is to
haul someone in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
JG wrote:
[...]

JG

Yuck. Was the swimmer free swimming or did he have a line attached and/or a
float?

You're right though... prevention is better than all.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
in 1979 I had duty in the Navy of picking up the jumpers from the
Coronado Bridge in San Deigo. They were all ( 7) unconsious and dead
except one. We had a swimmer who would tie a rope around the chest and
we would haul them up and into the LCMVP. Most were like bags of jello
with so many broken bones. The one living we strapped into a floating
liter and pulled aboard.
She died on the way to the hospital.

I think a swimmer is the best way to go, hopefully your not sailing
with just your spouse. I could yank Terry out of the water, but I know
she could not yank me out. Makes me careful on deck.

Joe

katysails

"JG" wrote in message ...

You're right though... prevention is better than all.

Then how come Binary Bill says you refuse to use a condom when having
anal sex with him? Both of you got HIV already, huh?

CN
Joe

He was free but hauled out the line. It was easy Id just bring the boat
along side he'd jump in and lasso the body.

It was not the best part of the TAD service. I was assigned to an
Admirals gig, and the admirials aids office where we kept the gig and
the LCM was close to the bridge and the locals cops arranged for us to
have pick-up detail. My ship was in the yard.

I'd hate to have the job at the golden gate bridge, I here the guys at
Treasure Island stay busy picking up jumpers.

Joe

JG

Talk about a sack of potatos... that's all that's usually left with jumpers
off the GG. I wonder if any of them landed on a boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
He was free but hauled out the line. It was easy Id just bring the boat
along side he'd jump in and lasso the body.

It was not the best part of the TAD service. I was assigned to an
Admirals gig, and the admirials aids office where we kept the gig and
the LCM was close to the bridge and the locals cops arranged for us to
have pick-up detail. My ship was in the yard.

I'd hate to have the job at the golden gate bridge, I here the guys at
Treasure Island stay busy picking up jumpers.

Joe

Joe

Im sure many have. Perhaps the better one at completing a task!

That would be the sheriffs problem!

Are you familiar with marine Laws?

I here the only one who can yank you off a sailboat is a federal
marshall or the USCG, unless it is a hot prusuit. Is this true?

Thanks

Joe

JG

?? The waters around our area are also patrolled by the sheriff. They
regularly haul people off for various offenses.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

ups.com...