JG

Yuck. Was the swimmer free swimming or did he have a line attached and/or a
float?

You're right though... prevention is better than all.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
in 1979 I had duty in the Navy of picking up the jumpers from the
Coronado Bridge in San Deigo. They were all ( 7) unconsious and dead
except one. We had a swimmer who would tie a rope around the chest and
we would haul them up and into the LCMVP. Most were like bags of jello
with so many broken bones. The one living we strapped into a floating
liter and pulled aboard.
She died on the way to the hospital.

I think a swimmer is the best way to go, hopefully your not sailing
with just your spouse. I could yank Terry out of the water, but I know
she could not yank me out. Makes me careful on deck.

Joe