JG

Hmm... well, I was thinking that except for a couple of situations, which
would make it pretty dangerous. If the weather is really bad, wind, waves,
and/or significant current and chop, I'd be concerned about the second
person ending up in just as bad shape.

I was thinking that if one had a harness with an attachment on the back as
well as on the front (and a PFD), then it might be possible to attach a line
to someone, lower them over the side (maybe in the water, maybe not quite
in), and that person could attach another line to the MOB.

We're going to be try to do an MOB with a 150 pound mannequin in the water.
It still won't be in real world conditions... boat at anchor in calm
conditions... just to give our instructors a feel for how difficult it is to
haul someone in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
JG wrote:
Have you every had to do one? If so, how did you do it? Obviously,
something like the LifeSling isn't going to do anything. Of course, you
need to get next to the person (I prefer to put the boat on the windward
side), but then what? Given that most sailboats have a fair amount of
freeboard, it may not be quite so simple as to "just attach a line to
them and haul them in," especially if the person is larger vs. smaller.

I'm familiar with the various techniques out there.. like using a sail or
putting a dinghy in the water. I'm more interested in what has actually
worked (or not worked).

IMHO the most effective way is to put a rescue swimmer in the water. Even
working from a dinghy will be much slower & less effective.

I've never pulled an unconscious person from the water, but a few who were
so far gone with hypothermia that they could do nothing to help
themselves.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King