Lady Pilot

"DSK" wrote:
Lady Pilot wrote:

I was wondering if this would be a good offshore sailing vessel.

Try one and see. It depends on what characteristics you value for offshore
sailing.

How would I know, I'm just a newbie.

Personally I would prefer something a bit faster, more weatherly, easier
to handle, and more practical... particularly less varnish.

What do you mean by "weatherly"? If it has roller furlings wouldn't that
make it much more easier to handle? The wood is one of the beautiful
characteristics of the SV. I really used to enjoy doing woodworking as a
hobby before my sons came along. Now they are old enough to help. g

Yep. We've had a number of friends with Cheoy Lee built boats, and IMHO
their build quality ranges widely. Some are not very good, hence the
common appellation "leaky teakies."

That's what I've heard, but I'm trying to figure out which models are which.
I'm only referring to the SV's though.

They built a numer of Peterson design medium-heavy center cockpit cruising
boat... probably their best for both build quality & practical cruising.

A boat this type & size is going to cost at least $15K per year (averaged
over several years) to keep in decent condition... not including what it
costs to buy the thing.

Yikes! That's quite a bit for upkeep.

Ever hear of Yachtworld.com?

Yes, I've seen you post links from there in the past. Thanks for the link
and jogging my memory.

Or if you'd followed up on the info from the web site you just gave a link
to, you'd find

Yeah, I already looked at that link.

Pretty boat. Did you see the thread on Luders designs a few weeks back?

I think it's very nice looking too. I guess I must have missed that thread
while sailing and had to "mark all as read" to get caught up. I'll google
it.

Thanks for your imput.

LP

Lady Pilot

"Joe" wrote:

A 47 Cheoy Lee is a fine vessel. You and the good captian would be very
happy sailing the 7 seas in a Cheoy Lee. The first boat I ever sailed
on was a 47 ft Cheoy Lee. 600K is a bit pricey you can find a much
better deal.

Thanks for the information, Joe. I have no intention of paying that for
one. Someone told me that to replace a particular SV that had all of the
extras would be around that kind of money. I thought it was a bit of a
stretch, so that's why I was asking.

Care to share your first sailing experience on the Cheoy Lee?

LP

Lady Pilot

"Maxprop" wrote:

You might even be able to put a cedar hot tub in that boat, but watch the
Capt. very carefully for at least a week or so, at least until he becomes
familiar with it's actual purpose.

snicker Now if everyone could get back to this type of humour, this place
might be a fun newsgroup once again.

LP

Joe

My dad worked for General Dynamics and his boss had one on Eagle
Mountian Lake near Ft. Worth. Fresh water sailing at it's best. I was
7-8 Y.O. Not much of a story but thats it.

Joe

DSK

Lady Pilot wrote:
How would I know, I'm just a newbie.

You could have plenty of opportunity to sail different type boats in
different conditions including offshore... almost everybody wants crew.
Get on a couple of delivery trips. Crew in a couple of races. It's the
best way to gain experience, and that's the only way to tell what you
like (as opposed to what everybody tells you to like).

Personally I would prefer something a bit faster, more weatherly, easier
to handle, and more practical... particularly less varnish.

What do you mean by "weatherly"?

"Weatherly" is the ability to make good distance to windward, not
necessarily as in VMG for racing but for getting away from hazards like
lee shores. For example an America's Cup boat can really make tracks to
windward but not in a hard blow, short handed, against breaking swells,
possibly under trysail or storm staysail.

... If it has roller furlings wouldn't that
make it much more easier to handle?

Not when you're docking.

"Easy to handle" is a function of the boats size, also of rig
configuration, and deck layout, and equipment. You can
change/modify/upgrade some things to improve ease of handling but
obviously not others.

One of the worst characteristics, yet extremely common, is a deck layout
that is awkward & slow t move around on.

A boat this type & size is going to cost at least $15K per year (averaged
over several years) to keep in decent condition... not including what it
costs to buy the thing.

Yikes! That's quite a bit for upkeep.

That may be a bit on the steep side, OTOH if one tries to cut corners
then it ends up taking a lot off the value & functionality of the boat.
It simply costs money to replace rigging that wears out, plus keep the
bottom done, plus engine maintenance, etc etc. Periodic haul-outs, and
you wouldn't believe what bottom paint costs. Then you get to pay for a
slip, and for insurance.

I figure an average of 10% of the value of the boat per year. Some years
less, some more.

Pretty boat. Did you see the thread on Luders designs a few weeks back?

I think it's very nice looking too. I guess I must have missed that thread
while sailing and had to "mark all as read" to get caught up. I'll google
it.

Thanks for your imput.

You're welcome.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JG

PLONK

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"blondie" wrote in message ...
"JG" wrote in
:

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message
talk is cheap

LP

That's not all that's cheap. Talk to Neal. On this subject he's an
expert when it comes to LP.

Ohhhhh, the netkop chimes in with worthless drivel.

Wipe that seaman off your face, you faggot!

blondie

JG

PLONK

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"blondie" wrote in message ...
"JG" wrote in news:1147eesbnbbkl64
@corp.supernews.com:

My suggestion is not to go there.

Go where? In the dark recesses of your feeble mind?

blondie

JG

PLONK

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"blondie" wrote in message ...
Red Cloud© wrote in
:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:39:10 -0500, JR Gilbreath
wrote:

There is a 1987 in excellent shape for 219,000 in Ft Lauderdale.
If you can afford a 600,000 boat did I ever tell you I love you?
JR

Wear a minimum of three condoms!

rusty redcloud

You have experience with katykunt and gaynz, eh?

You sound like the cheap type...

blondie

JG

PLONK

I'm so dumb I plonk and plonk but I can't get it to stick.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"blondie" wrote in message ...
"JG" wrote in
:

ews1.google.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Red_Cloud=A9?=
Newsgroups: alt.sailing.asa
Subject: 47' Cheoy Lee
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:15:30 -0500

More netkop abuse, gay boy?

blondie

JG

PLONK!

I'm plonking myself now. It won't stick either. The only thing around here
that seems to stick is Old Thom's cum in my hair.

--
"j" ganz @@ netKKKop
www.sailnow.com

"JG" |id wrote in message ...
PLONK

I'm so dumb I plonk and plonk but I can't get it to stick.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"blondie" wrote in message ...
"JG" wrote in
:

ews1.google.com!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Red_Cloud=A9?=
Newsgroups: alt.sailing.asa
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:15:30 -0500

More netkop abuse, gay boy?