DSK

Try one and see. It depends on what characteristics you value for offshore
sailing.

Lady Pilot wrote:
How would I know, I'm just a newbie.

You could have plenty of opportunity to sail different type boats in
different conditions including offshore... almost everybody wants crew.
Get on a couple of delivery trips. Crew in a couple of races. It's the
best way to gain experience, and that's the only way to tell what you
like (as opposed to what everybody tells you to like).

Personally I would prefer something a bit faster, more weatherly, easier
to handle, and more practical... particularly less varnish.

What do you mean by "weatherly"?

"Weatherly" is the ability to make good distance to windward, not
necessarily as in VMG for racing but for getting away from hazards like
lee shores. For example an America's Cup boat can really make tracks to
windward but not in a hard blow, short handed, against breaking swells,
possibly under trysail or storm staysail.

... If it has roller furlings wouldn't that
make it much more easier to handle?

Not when you're docking.

"Easy to handle" is a function of the boats size, also of rig
configuration, and deck layout, and equipment. You can
change/modify/upgrade some things to improve ease of handling but
obviously not others.

One of the worst characteristics, yet extremely common, is a deck layout
that is awkward & slow t move around on.

A boat this type & size is going to cost at least $15K per year (averaged
over several years) to keep in decent condition... not including what it
costs to buy the thing.

Yikes! That's quite a bit for upkeep.

That may be a bit on the steep side, OTOH if one tries to cut corners
then it ends up taking a lot off the value & functionality of the boat.
It simply costs money to replace rigging that wears out, plus keep the
bottom done, plus engine maintenance, etc etc. Periodic haul-outs, and
you wouldn't believe what bottom paint costs. Then you get to pay for a
slip, and for insurance.

I figure an average of 10% of the value of the boat per year. Some years
less, some more.

Pretty boat. Did you see the thread on Luders designs a few weeks back?

I think it's very nice looking too. I guess I must have missed that thread
while sailing and had to "mark all as read" to get caught up. I'll google
it.

Thanks for your imput.

You're welcome.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King