Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Capt. Mooron

Default Woodwork....

Since it's approaching... well okay it's at least a month and a half away
for some of us... time to consider what approach to use on the vessel's
wood trim this year, I thought I would start the annual ASA wood treatment
thread.

There are those who use Varnish, those who use Cetol, those who use Tung Oil
and some of you that use your own secret recipe.

What is your preferred method and how do you apply the finish?

To start of... I have used varnish, and wasn't convinced that the work to
produce such luster was worth the effort of application for one season of
duration. I've even tried cetol and was not impressed with the results on
both occasions. For years I simply used Teak Oil or Tung Oil and kept a kit
aboard for touch ups as required. It's easy to apply and clean up is no
problem. The woodwork shows a nice colour and retains it's texture. Last
season I applied teak oil and let it dry before applying a coat of clear
Behr deck waterproofing, UV inhibitor sealant. It seemed to work since I
had no reason to reapply further teak oil all season. Yet this year I
noticed some greying of the teak... so here I go again. What should I use
this year? Should I just give up and try another Varnish or let the teak go
grey?

CM