Horvath

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:53:16 GMT, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote this crap:

Since it's approaching... well okay it's at least a month and a half away
for some of us... time to consider what approach to use on the vessel's
wood trim this year, I thought I would start the annual ASA wood treatment
thread.

There are those who use Varnish, those who use Cetol, those who use Tung Oil
and some of you that use your own secret recipe.

What is your preferred method and how do you apply the finish?

I rub my woman's 36DD breasts with oil, then I get my wood out, and

Oh crap! Jon-boy is going to follow up with some girlie post.

katysails

We varnsih...seven-right coats worth...and every 4-5 years the whole shebang
gets sanded all the way down and we start over again...we use Z-Spar 2015
(flagship)...

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Since it's approaching... well okay it's at least a month and a half away
for some of us... time to consider what approach to use on the vessel's
wood trim this year, I thought I would start the annual ASA wood treatment
thread.

There are those who use Varnish, those who use Cetol, those who use Tung
Oil and some of you that use your own secret recipe.

What is your preferred method and how do you apply the finish?

To start of... I have used varnish, and wasn't convinced that the work to
produce such luster was worth the effort of application for one season of
duration. I've even tried cetol and was not impressed with the results on
both occasions. For years I simply used Teak Oil or Tung Oil and kept a
kit aboard for touch ups as required. It's easy to apply and clean up is
no problem. The woodwork shows a nice colour and retains it's texture.
Last season I applied teak oil and let it dry before applying a coat of
clear Behr deck waterproofing, UV inhibitor sealant. It seemed to work
since I had no reason to reapply further teak oil all season. Yet this
year I noticed some greying of the teak... so here I go again. What should
I use this year? Should I just give up and try another Varnish or let the
teak go grey?

CM

Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

We varnsih...seven-right coats worth...and every 4-5 years the whole
shebang gets sanded all the way down and we start over again...we use
Z-Spar 2015 (flagship)...

If you and Mr. Sails would just refresh the varnish annually and repair any
defects, you'd save a lot of time and effort while keeping it looking
bristol.

If you'd rather do it your way, why "sand" it down? Use a heat gun and
scraper and save about half the time and effort. Scraping is also easier on
the wood, if done properly, and it works well with varnish removal.

Max

katysails

You going to tell Mr Sails how to finish teak? Right....he's been
finishing teak since he was a kid...not about to interfere with the process
now...he's happy with his process so that's the way it goes...besides, it
gives him something to do....

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"katysails" wrote in message

We varnsih...seven-right coats worth...and every 4-5 years the whole
shebang gets sanded all the way down and we start over again...we use
Z-Spar 2015 (flagship)...

If you and Mr. Sails would just refresh the varnish annually and repair
any defects, you'd save a lot of time and effort while keeping it looking
bristol.

If you'd rather do it your way, why "sand" it down? Use a heat gun and
scraper and save about half the time and effort. Scraping is also easier
on the wood, if done properly, and it works well with varnish removal.

Max

Maxprop

[...]

You're facing the age-old quandary, Cappy: how to get the appearance of a
multi-coat, hand-rubbed varnish finish with the ease of Cetol or oil.

Bottom line: ain't ever gonna happen.

Either use varnish, or get used to something less attractive.

My advice:

1) If you want a varnish finish, start with bare wood and anyone's long oil
varnish thinned to 50% for penetration. Let dry, then sand smooth. Then
apply three thick coats of Epifanes Gloss Wood Finish without sanding in
between. No sanding is necessary, if you apply subsequent coats within 72
hours. And each coat equals two or three coats of long oil varnish. AND it
is completely compatible with varnish, either long oil or urethane types.
You can even alternate coats between varnish and EGWF, provided you sand
after each varnish coat, but not the EGWF coats, not that anyone would
actually do this. But back to the process: now allow the last (3rd) coat
of EGWF to dry, sand very smooth with 150 grit, 220 grit, and 400 wet/dry,
and then apply your final coat of long-oil varnish, either gloss or
rubbed-effect (satin). Be sure to refresh the topcoat every year with one
or two coats of varnish, or you'll lose the finish and have to start from
scratch again. Or you can even use the EGWF instead of varnish--it has just
as effective UV filters as most varnish, and better than some. AND be sure
to repair any damage to the finish that penetrates to the wood immediately.

2. If you want a Cetol finish, sand the wood smooth, then apply three coats
of Cetol Marine without sanding between. That's it, along with refreshing
every years with one coat. Nothing could be easier, but don't expect a
varnish-like appearance.

3. If an oil finish is acceptable, apply two or three coats of reduced tung
oil (pure tung thinned to 50% with mineral spirits), and plan to re-apply
every three months during the summer and at the beginning of each season.
Nice appearance, but requires too much work, IMO.

My pick: Cetol Marine. An acceptable finish if viewed from 10' away or
farther, and it protects the wood nicely. Not for teak decks, however,
unless you enjoy ice skating in the summer.

Max

Maxprop

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

Thanx Max..... Maybe I'll give Epifanes a try this year....

I chatted with the Epifanes rep at the Woodenboat Show a few years back. He
told me he doesn't use varnish at all any more, thanks to the Gloss Wood
Finish. Not good for Epifanes varnish sales, but an honest and interesting
testimony.

Max

Alibaba

welcome my good Capt CM. On the edge of Buhayrat al Habbaniyahthe
mohmomad is most expert in the maker of wood treatment for boot. He
take camel water and dryed Euphrates water to kleen wood. Mix beetles
back with ground tree root from tree at great Zab banks. It louck much
honey and shine keep out salt. you like very much

Alibaba

Joe

Ali,

This tree root....... from what tree?