rosso

Default B&G instruments communication interface

Hi!

I am trying to interface ALL of the B&G instruments on my boat with my
PC. I would like to be able to get all the information available from
the instruments on the PC (say to have a log book with speed, wind
speed, depth etc. etc.). This can be done for NMEA, but from what I've
seen on the web there's no sentences in the NMEA interface regarding
instrument-information (for example wind speed). This probably means
B&G are using their own standards for inter-instrument communication
(which definetly exists since ther is a i-don't-know-how-it's-called
station that gathers all the info). Probably own in this case means
registered and copyrighted (since I saw they are getting into this with
tablet pc's and such). My question is

-does somebody know something more about this? any kind of information
would be *very* useful (from hardware issues to pointers on the web).

thanks a lot
rosso

p.s. I reckon it would be useful to know exactly WHAT instruments I
have mounted but the boat is not mine
and it's not exactly nearby right now!

Donal

"rosso" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My B&G instruments talk NMEA 2.

I don't think that you are correct about wind speed being unavailable on
NMEA. I've connected my B&G system to my Navico autohelm, and it can steer
to wind - as well as to a magnetic course. I'm fairly sure that it gets
wind speed as well as direction.

My B&G instruments date from 1998. Older instruments may be different, of
course.

Regards

Donal

Horvath

On 22 Feb 2005 06:53:54 -0800, "rosso" wrote
this crap:

Hi!

I am trying to interface ALL of the B&G instruments on my boat with my
PC. I would like to be able to get all the information available from
the instruments on the PC (say to have a log book with speed, wind

I'm not sure what B&G is. I have Raytheon instruments, and a Garmin
GPS that we interface with a laptop, (with charts of the area.) We
use this for racing.

Maxprop

"Horvath" wrote in message

On 22 Feb 2005 06:53:54 -0800, "rosso" wrote
this crap:

Hi!

I am trying to interface ALL of the B&G instruments on my boat with my
PC. I would like to be able to get all the information available from
the instruments on the PC (say to have a log book with speed, wind

I'm not sure what B&G is.

Brooks and Gatehouse, the very best there is.

I have Raytheon instruments, and a Garmin
GPS that we interface with a laptop, (with charts of the area.) We
use this for racing.

He should contact B&G's rep.

Max

rosso

Thanks to everybody for your help!

Yes, I was wrong about NMEA, and B&G instruments use this protocol for
communication!

bye
rosso

Garmin 176 interface to Raymarine ST60, Seatalk. DWB Electronics 4 May 3rd 04 04:18 PM
Radio Communication in Race Boats [email protected] Power Boat Racing 0 April 27th 04 05:10 PM
Replacing sail boat marine instruments. John Cotton General 5 January 21st 04 03:31 AM
Instruments John Cotton ASA 0 January 7th 04 11:44 PM
The Cap'n 6.1 interface? Steve Electronics 2 July 29th 03 07:28 PM