Steve

Default The Cap'n 6.1 interface?

I have had my Cap'n 6.1 running on GPS input to the serial connector and the
USB of my Toshibia Tecra 8000. No problem there. (But I prefer the USB since
I'm now using a GPS module that requires power from the laptop USB.)

Now it's time to try an hook up the autopilot. All the info I have is for
the data lines of the Serial connector 9 pin connector. (I have a opto
isolator connector for this 9 pin and want to use it..)

Here is my question. Will the software become confused if I get GPS input
from the USB and output course correction on a different port.???

There doesn't seem to be anyway to tell The Cap'n which port will be used
for either I/O and the software just searches the serial/USB port for the
input data from the GPS. Not sure how if will determine where to output the
autopilot data. I don't find an opportunity to tell it where the A/P will
be connected.

BTW. The GPS communication is one way (input) while the autopilot will be
strictly output since the autopilot privideds not feed back info and The
Cap'n doesn't seem to need any.

Opinions and experience please??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

News at MidMaine

Hello Steve;

1. You must have a Serial-USB converter in order to get GPS data into a USB
port.

2. If you have such a converter, then the "virtual serial port" presented by
the USB converter's driver software will send along any autopilot sentences
output from the Capn to the serial connector.

Thus, you need to connect pin 3 of the serial connector to your autopilot's
input A line, and pin 5 to your autopilot's input B line (or autopilot +
and - , or whatever your autopilot labels these lines)

Dennis
www.thecapn.com

Steve

"News at MidMaine" wrote in message
Hello Steve;

1. You must have a Serial-USB converter in order to get GPS data into a

USB
port.

2. If you have such a converter, then the "virtual serial port" presented

by
the USB converter's driver software will send along any autopilot

sentences
output from the Capn to the serial connector.

Thus, you need to connect pin 3 of the serial connector to your

autopilot's
input A line, and pin 5 to your autopilot's input B line (or autopilot +
and - , or whatever your autopilot labels these lines)

Dennis
www.thecapn.com

Thanks for the reply Dennis. Helpful but not sure that it fully addresses my
situation..

My GPS (module) is connected and powered off one of my USB ports. I don't
want to use a Serial to USB converter because I won't have the power
available without tapping it off another device port ('Hokie').

My Autohelm Z075 inteface is designed to operate off a standard serial port
Data Out line and signal ground.

I realize that the USB ports are just another configuration of the vertual
serial interface but they are difficult to wire into with DIY stuff.

So my question still remains, will The Cap'n take the GPS input from one USB
port and output course corrections through a standard Serial port??

The answer my only be found by trial and error.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Capn Nav Software Sounds Problem Len Cruising 4 August 8th 04 02:54 AM
Capn v.6.1 question?? Steve Cruising 22 November 18th 03 07:05 AM
Need File Types Cap'n Can Read frank1492 General 1 September 20th 03 10:38 PM