Sailing Dave

Default To Captain Neal

As I understand it from this newsgroup, you have an identical coronado to
mine, except, I think you have a shoal keel and I do not. Apart from this
difference, I believe they are more or less identical, though i suspectthat
you have updated your interior as your's is a live aboard vessel. I am
currently in the middle of a refit and would appreciate your advice.

My first concern is the actual eorking infrastructure, I need to replace or
repair the water tank and the water fixtures. Is your tank (or was it
originally) only fillable from inside the boat under the aft seat? if so,
did you refit this item? Did you replace your water fixtures in the head
and galley? if so, how did you pulmb them? Did you fit a sea-water pump,
if so, how is it plumbed to the outside?

I am getting rid of the door on the head and building a nav station above
the port side galley. Any advice?

I am fitting my nav instruments on a swinging peice of teak that will be
able to swing into the companionway while underway. How are your
instruments fit? Do you have an outboard, or one of Coronado's old
saildrive motors. What is your maximum speed underway with motor only?

So many questions, so little space.

Sailing Dave - The Storm and The Spray

Capt. Neal®

Sorry I did not answer your post the first time, Dave.

I thought you were a Bertie the Bunyip sock puppet.

Have you visited my website?

There are lots of pictures there that might help you with your
conversions.

http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

Just follow the links to the interior where you will see all the modifications
I have made.

I raised the dinette and put a fill in the water tank on the side of the
raised area. I also put another 18-gallon water tank under the center
of the cockpit between the two large stringers.

I used hand pumps for water both in the head and the galley and have
put tubing with a tee and a valve so I can draw water from either tank
from either sink. I put a cockpit fill (little perfections page) in for
the under cockpit tank but still have to fill the settee tank from inside
the vessel though it is on the side of the settee now so I don't have
to move the cushion. I also got rid of the old, rotten wooden top for
the tank and replaced it with plastic - Star Board.

I got rid of the door to the head and reversed the hanging locker door
so it would open against the mast post. It gives a bit of privacy for the
head this way

The swinging instrument board works well. I now have an outside depth sounder
which makes the use of the board optional.

I use a 9.9 Honda Four which powers the boat to hull speed at about
half throttle in mild conditions. It gets great gas mileage and is very
quiet. It is on the transom in the factory cut-out.

Feel free to ask more questions here as there are many more
people here who could profit from discussing boats for once.

CN

"Sailing Dave" wrote in message rver.com...
[...]

Sailing Dave

Good idea withn the locker door.

Your website says that you can access salt water from the galley sink. How
did you plumb that, or is one of your tanks filled with salt water and, if
so, why?

Did you replace the head?

Did you replace the settee tank itself?

How is your bulkhead fixed to the fiberglass? Is it simply constructed of
marine plywood, or did you glass over the whole thing?

I am planning to do away with the dinette entirely, as I do not really use
it anyway and the lack of floor space under the portside seat is maddening.
I am planning to make a sofa pit out of that side with a conversion kit to
turn the entire space into a bed (for me and wife and the kids up in the
berth) Any experience with this arrangement?

Have you covered the glass ceiling and walls with any sort of fabric at all?

BTW, you have a fine looking vessel. have you sailed it far? I have done
Duluth to Quebec in two years. I plan a complete tour of the Great Lakes
this summer and a Trans-A the following summer Cleveland to Cleveland,
England.

dave

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
[...]

Sailing Dave

What sort of weather have you weathered with the Mustard? largest seas I
have seen was 14 footers on Erie and 45 knot winds. The boat didn't mind as
much as I did. I truly didn't think we were coming back. The engine was a
joke and the waves pounded us without mercy. Took on water to the top of
the settee seats. BAD TIME.

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
[...]

Capt. Neal®

"Sailing Dave" wrote in message rver.com...
Good idea withn the locker door.

Your website says that you can access salt water from the galley sink. How
did you plumb that, or is one of your tanks filled with salt water and, if
so, why?

I put in a 3/4 inch thru-hull in the bottom of the sink locker and have
one of those Whale Galley gusher foot pumps to a spigot near the hand
pump. The foot pump actuator arm is under the bottom companion step.

Did you replace the head?

No, it still has the original head which I rarely use preferring the
cedar bucket method.

Did you replace the settee tank itself?

No, it is GPR and part of the settee structure.

How is your bulkhead fixed to the fiberglass? Is it simply constructed of
marine plywood, or did you glass over the whole thing?

It is marine ply with glossy color-matched formica glued on with rubber cement.
Edges sealed with 5200 against moisture intrusion and rot. Bulkhead glued
in place with 5200 and no mechanical fasteners.

I am planning to do away with the dinette entirely, as I do not really use
it anyway and the lack of floor space under the portside seat is maddening.
I am planning to make a sofa pit out of that side with a conversion kit to
turn the entire space into a bed (for me and wife and the kids up in the
berth) Any experience with this arrangement?

That's how it used to work when the dinette table was lowered onto the
settees. This would be easy to do by just lowering the table into the grooves
in the settees and making some comfy cushions.

Have you covered the glass ceiling and walls with any sort of fabric at all?

Only on what is usually called the ceiling (sides) and I glued carpet there
to minimize sweating as it is not cored in the sides as it is on the overhead.

BTW, you have a fine looking vessel. have you sailed it far? I have done
Duluth to Quebec in two years. I plan a complete tour of the Great Lakes
this summer and a Trans-A the following summer Cleveland to Cleveland,
England.

Yes, we both have fine vessels and they are very seaworthy. I have sailed
mine thousands of miles and have lived aboard for over fifteen years now.
Haven't done a crossing with her yet but may get a wild hair up my arse
one of these days and do so. Coronado 27s are pretty stout.

CN

Capt. Mooron

"Sailing Dave" wrote in message
I plan a complete tour of the Great Lakes this summer and a Trans-A the
following summer Cleveland to Cleveland, England.

A Trans Atlantic in a Coronado 27??????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Good Luck!

CM

Capt. Neal®

Coronado 27s are bluewater capable and, if the captain knows
his stuff, they can easily circumnavigate.

My boat is ready for a circumnavigation and I'm thinking about
doing it and beating little Ellen's record. Of course, I demand
a handicap based on hull speed in order to make it fair.

CN

"Capt. Mooron" babbled thusly:

A Trans Atlantic in a Coronado 27??????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Maxprop

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Coronado 27s are bluewater capable and, if the captain knows
his stuff, they can easily circumnavigate.

Contrary to popular belief, there are very few boats incapable of
circumnavigation/bluewater use. The obvious limitations are 1) the margin
of safety one is willing to accept, 2) the ability of the boat to carry the
stores necessary to sustain the lives of its occupants, 3) the comfort
factor (how adverse are you to being beaten up by a tiny boat in big waves?)
and 4) the ability to self-rescue (either with a non-sinking boat, or a life
raft if the boat has the space to carry one). Just about any old POS boat
can cross oceans. It's the sailors, themselves, who possess the greatest
limitations.

My boat is ready for a circumnavigation and I'm thinking about
doing it and beating little Ellen's record. Of course, I demand
a handicap based on hull speed in order to make it fair.

Foolish, dear Captain. Why waste a substantial portion of your life
attempting to best someone's insignificant record, when you could be
spending that time smelling the roses along the way? Hell, I could spend a
couple of months in the San Blas Is. alone, but you'll be forced to move on
from every port, despite the beauty, the interest, the people you meet.
Foolish to pursue such a meaningless goal.

Max

Sailing Dave

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
[...]

Capt. Neal vs Lady Pilot. Capt. Neal® ASA 3 February 7th 05 11:35 PM
Where is Captain Neal? Lady Pilot ASA 21 October 15th 04 03:49 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Captain Dmytro Biriukovych is The Ukrainian Observer's Man of the Year. Chris Brady Tall Ships 1 January 15th 04 10:47 AM
What happened to captain neal and the coronado banana boat? Dr Strangelove ASA 1 November 17th 03 07:19 PM