Scott Vernon

Default Boat built in desert a dream come true

''his steel-hulled motor sailboat.''

Why are you posting this on a sailing NG?

SV

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
. com...
http://www.vvdailypress.com/2005/110804491475014.html

Ed Stringer's dream now weighs some 25,000 pounds, spans more than

48 feet
in length, and was handmade from stem to stern.

It took him more than six years to complete.

"It was a love-hate project because there was so much to be done,"

Stringer
said of his steel-hulled motor sailboat. "A lot of people start

these
projects, but very few of us actually finish it."

The Stringers plan to move from their arid 80-acre ranch in Lucerne

Valley
to the more humid climate of the sea's surface. The ship was moved

to its
new home at a marina in Long Beach last Tuesday.

Stringer and his wife, Sandra, hope to raise anchor on the "Adory"

and set
sail for several of the islands off California by summer.

After that their travel itinerary includes diving off the shores of

the
Caribbean, sipping coffee on their deck as they look out at the

Alaskan
coastline, sailing across the Atlantic and dropping anchor in

Hawaii —
sometimes with friends and family.

Ed Stringer developed a love of boating when he worked as a

commercial
abalone diver in the early 1960s. Over the years his ocean fever

gained
momentum and his yearning to retire on a boat and travel the seas

engulfed
him.

"I've been living in the High Desert for 20 years now, always hoping

to get
back on a boat," Stringer said. "This is perfect."

But it wasn't cheap.

Stringer said he stopped keeping count of the cost of building the

ship a
long time ago out of "fear of shock," but estimates it at more than
$100,000.

"As I became more and more aware I couldn't afford what I really

wanted, I
contemplated building one," Stringer said.

He began designing and building it in 1999, with Sandra adding the

feminine
touches.

"It has always been a dream of his," Sandra Stringer said. "So we

got
together to design the inside. There were only a few things I asked

for."

Her requests included a useful galley, bright lighting and a

comfortable
atmosphere where her children and grandchildren could always feel at

home.

"We wanted a boat to suit our purpose to a 'T' and here we are," Ed

Stringer
said.

The two are now planning out the rest of their lives in conjunction

with one
ocean adventure after another.

"Sailing into a port is much different than flying into one," Ed

Stringer
said. "We're not ever really going to be tourists because our house

is will
be on our back all the time."

Gretchen Losi may be reached at 951-6233 or

.

--

jlrogers±³©
Beaten by George W. Bush! Now that's funny!

Joe

Scott Vernon wrote:
''his steel-hulled motor sailboat.''

Why are you posting this on a sailing NG?

SV

Hey...Watch it Snotty. The guys a sailing genious who knows what type
of sailboat is superior to all others.

Joe

"jlrogers=B1=B3=A9" wrote in message
[...]

Joe

His story reminds me of a movie I watched yestersday called Wind. If
you havent seen it I recommend it.

Guy loses the American Cup & girl, goes out into the desert and with
the help of many he builds a boat at the Deadman's Flat yacht club and
wins back the cup from the Ozzies and his girl.

Great sailing scenes, International 14 - 12 meter boats.

Joe

DSK

Joe wrote:
His story reminds me of a movie I watched yestersday called Wind. If
you havent seen it I recommend it.

That was a pretty good movie, worth seeing on the big screen. It makes a
silly soap opera out of racing, but I suppose most people won't know any
better.

Guy loses the American Cup & girl, goes out into the desert and with
the help of many he builds a boat at the Deadman's Flat yacht club and
wins back the cup from the Ozzies and his girl.

Great sailing scenes, International 14 - 12 meter boats.

Did you notice that not one of those boats was built out of steel, Joe?
In fact, no America's Cup racer has ever been built out of steel. You
should watch out for becoming a Crapton wanna-be, making retard-o claims
about the superiority of your boat just 'cuz it's yours.

DSK

Jeff Morris

DSK wrote:
Joe wrote:

His story reminds me of a movie I watched yestersday called Wind. If
you havent seen it I recommend it.

That was a pretty good movie, worth seeing on the big screen. It makes a
silly soap opera out of racing, but I suppose most people won't know any
better.

The first time I saw it was an afternoon show; the other group in the
theater was a sailing team, I think from Tufts. It was fun to hear
their reactions and comments, although half of them probably had never
been on a boat over 30 feet.

One line in the movie that always got me was in the intro to the final
race, where the announcer said something to the affect of "they agreed
to throw out the rule book for this race."

Joe

katysails wrote:
The girl makes the winning decision on the boat...watch it more

carefully...

What by chosing the "Whomper" yeah yeah I know had me all teared up.

Shoudent you give up asa for lint?

Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
His story reminds me of a movie I watched yestersday called Wind.

If
you havent seen it I recommend it.

Guy loses the American Cup & girl, goes out into the desert and

with
the help of many he builds a boat at the Deadman's Flat yacht club

and
wins back the cup from the Ozzies and his girl.

Great sailing scenes, International 14 - 12 meter boats.

Joe

Joe

Doug your jelious side is showing.

Joe

DSK

Joe wrote:
Doug your jelious side is showing.

Believe me, I'm not "jelious" at all. I spent 8 years riding around on
big steel boats... which is one reason why I think steel boats are for
dummies that either 1- can't keep from crashing into things or 2- intend
to get in the face of people who shoot at you

DSK