Capt. Neal®

BBob, you're as stupid as Vito.

Rule 5 defines what constitutes a proper look-out.

Try reading it again. Here. I'll make it easy for you. . .

Rule 5
Look-out
"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing as well
as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing circumstances and conditions so
as to make a full appraisal of the situation
and of the risk of collision."

Be so kind as to allow me to re-state it so even
a Bobsprit clone might understand.

"A proper look-out is defined by every vessel
at all times maintaining a look-out by sight as
well as by hearing as well as by all available
means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances
and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of
the situation and of the risk of collision."

I hope this helps.

CN

wrote in message ...
On 8 Feb 2005 09:12:43 -0800, "Dan"

On 8 Feb 2005 08:55:34 -0800, "Dan"

The Colregs do not specify exactly what you have to do to maintain a
proper watch at all times. That is purposely left for a court to
adjucate on a case by case basis.

In that case there must be some prior cases.

I'm not disagreeing. I just want some evidence.

I'm not sure what there is to disagree with. It's possible that no one
has ever been brought to court who kept watch by looking around and
listening exactly every four hours. What I stated would be true for
someone who looked around only every 8 hours. The fact remains that
the colregs does not specify what constitutes a proper watch, and it
would be up to a court to make the determination. You may think you
have some notion of what YOU think is a proper watch, but that is
neither part of the colregs, or the opinion of a court. Where does the
colregs specify how often you must look around with your eyes for your
watch to be considered proper? The court, after hearing the case,
would determine whether or not the watch had been proper.

BB

Capt. Neal®

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
One more point - although Neal keeps claiming that not having a lookout
is "illegal." As far as I know, there is no "law" that says you must
follow the ColRegs in international water. That is, there is no penalty
for failing to comply, unless that failure leads to an accident. In
inland waters, that is not the case - you can be penalized for not
having proper lights, etc.

Bwahahahahhahahahahhahaha!

Did you know the Coast Guard can, does and will write a
citation for not displaying an anchor light if anchored
in international waters? (outside of a few designated
anchorages, that is.)

Jeff, before you play the lawyer perhaps you should
seek out a law school and matriculate.

CN
Capt. Neal®

One knows he has won the argument and the opponent
is humiliated when said opponent resorts to ad hominem
attacks.

Bwaaaahhahhahahahhahahahahah!

May I offer you a handkerchief so you can dry those
tears?

CN

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:23:31 -0500, Capt. Neal®
wrote:

Rule 5 defines what constitutes a proper look-out.

No, it most emphatically does not.

Try reading it again. Here. I'll make it easy for you. . .

Rule 5
Look-out
"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing as well
as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing circumstances and conditions so
as to make a full appraisal of the situation
and of the risk of collision."

maintaing a watch at all times is not the same thing as maintaining a
watch constantly without interuption. You breathe "at all times", but
sometimes you are inhaling, sometimes you are exhaling, and sometimes
you are doing neither.

I hope this helps.

You are pretty much beyond help, baby ****er.

BB
Newsgroups: alt.sailing.asa
From: "Capt. Neal®"
Date: 1999/12/12
Subject: P30 Lowrider

Correction. Those were not electric shocks that made
Bobsprit's boat bounce up and down. They were hydraulic
jackstands.

I think you also need a lesson about flat-chested women.
Flat chested women are, almost without exception, better
lovers. They have had to develop certain skills below the
waistline in order to compensate for their small mammaries.
They know what it takes to please a man because of it. I
don't know about you but I have never had a pair of
mammaries, regardless of how big they were, give me what an
educated vagina can.

There is yet another reason why every man should learn to
love flat-chested women . . . many young women do not grow
them until they are 12 or 13. Would you honestly rule them
out because of it?

Respectfully,
Capt. Neal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CN

wrote in message ...
[...]

Jeff Morris

Capt. Neal® wrote:

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

One more point - although Neal keeps claiming that not having a
lookout is "illegal." As far as I know, there is no "law" that says
you must follow the ColRegs in international water. That is, there is
no penalty for failing to comply, unless that failure leads to an
accident. In inland waters, that is not the case - you can be
penalized for not having proper lights, etc.

Bwahahahahhahahahahhahaha!
Did you know the Coast Guard can, does and will write a
citation for not displaying an anchor light if anchored
in international waters? (outside of a few designated anchorages, that is.)

No, they don't. They may do it outside the Colregs line, but not in
international waters.
JimH

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
One more point - although Neal keeps claiming that not having a lookout
is "illegal." As far as I know, there is no "law" that says you must
follow the ColRegs in international water. That is, there is no penalty
for failing to comply, unless that failure leads to an accident. In
inland waters, that is not the case - you can be penalized for not having
proper lights, etc.

Bwahahahahhahahahahhahaha!
Did you know the Coast Guard can, does and will write a
citation for not displaying an anchor light if anchored
in international waters? (outside of a few designated anchorages, that
is.)

Jeff, before you play the lawyer perhaps you should seek out a law school
and matriculate.

CN

Can someone explain how this boating thread is any better than the worst of
the OT political threads often complained about by some here at rec.boats?

Paul Elliot

Capt. Neal® wrote:

Just what don't you little Ellen supporters understand
about the first part of the following COLREG Rule?

Rule 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing . . .

Folks, even the most ignorant among you cannot
claim you do not know what the words "sight" and
"hearing" mean.

Check out what Merriam Webster has to say about
it.

sight \"sït\ n 1 : something seen or worth seeing
2 : the process or power of seeing; esp : the sense
of which the eye is the receptor and by which
qualities of appearance (as position, shape, and color)
are perceived 3 : inspection 4 : a device (as a small
bead on a gun barrel) that aids the eye in aiming
5 : view, glimpse 6 : the range of vision - sight.less adj

hear.ing n 1 : the process, function, or power of
perceiving sound; esp : the special sense by which
noises and tones are received as stimuli 2 : earshot
3 : opportunity to be heard 4 : a listening to arguments
(as in a court); also : a session of (as of a legislative
committee) in which testimony is taken from witnesses

© 1995 Zane Publishing, Inc. The Merriam-Webster
Dictionary © 1994 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

"At all times" means at all times. It means if Ellen is
sleeping she is failing to comply with Rule 5. In order
to be legal there needs to be a human being seeing
AND hearing at all times. This means Rule 5 states
ANY long-distance race where solo skipper sleeps
is in violation of the rule and an illegal enterprise.

Those of you who argue that it only becomes illegal
if Ellen has a collision argue falsely.

Legal and responsible racing cannot include long-distance
solo sailing racing by definition. Neither little Ellen nor
anybody else is capable of sight or hearing while they
are asleep, exhausted below in a speeding sailboat.

Ellen is a whore because she gets paid and has a whole
team pimping her engaging in an illegal activity. It's about
time real sailors stopped supporting this illegal activity
which is detrimental and dangerous to sailors everywhere.

I certainly will not identify with, worship or give kudos
to any law breaker. Until such time as little Ellen operates
legally, I will continue to call a spade a spade. The only
record she has broken, in my opinion, is 71 days in violation
of Rule 5. It does not matter how much or what kind of
electronic measures her boat employs. Unless she stays
awake and maintains a look-out by sight and hearing
twenty-four hours a day, she is operating illegally.

Ellen is a lawbreaker by law and by her own admission.

Those who support little Ellen support law breaking. You
cannot argue otherwise intelligently. Every argument you
attempt to employ will be shot down by the simplicity and
explicitness of Rule 5.

Captain Neal Warren
USCG Licensed U.S. Merchant Marine Officer
ser.# 1045941
--- Safety at sea is no accident.

Oy! What a load of twaddle. Why don't you just go and **** up a rope!
If it was up to you, you would keelhaul every singlehander on sight.
Then you could go down to the local dive and swap stories with your
close buddy Capt. Joseph Hazelwood.

Done feeding the Troll.

Paul E.

--
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to
society" - Theodore Roosevelt

Capt. Mooron

"JimH" wrote in message

Can someone explain how this boating thread is any better than the worst
of the OT political threads often complained about by some here at
rec.boats?

Geez jimmy... it has to do with boats...
Are all you guys at rec.boats such whiners or is it that jimmy boy is the
group weenie?

CM

Capt. Neal®

I've defined proper until I'm blue in the face and you
idiots either can't read the definition or choose to not
read it and retain your usual ignorant bliss.

Rule 5, itself, defines what constitutes a proper lookout.
Read it again. Read it with comprehension. In case your
language skills are lacking, which seems to be the case,
allow me to re-state Rule 5 so you might understand how
Rule 5 defines 'proper'.

"A proper look-out is defined by every vessel
at all times maintaining a look-out by sight as
well as by hearing as well as by all available
means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances
and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of
the situation and of the risk of collision."

Jumpin' Jehosaphat, but you people are retarded!

CN

OzOne wrote in message news

Define 'proper'.
Is it a lookout for every minute while underway,
or sufficient to avoid an incident.

Radar and active warning devices were more than capable of waking the
skipper in the event of an approaching vessel in plenty of time to
keep a lookout properly to avoid any incident.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:23:31 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

wrote in message ...
[...]

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Capt. Mooron

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
"A proper look-out is defined by every vessel
at all times maintaining a look-out by sight as
well as by hearing as well as by all available
means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances
and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of
the situation and of the risk of collision."

Jumpin' Jehosaphat, but you people are retarded!

Well Neal... truthfully speaking.... the "at all times" is a little vague
don't you think?
If there is nothing visible, nothing on the radar and nobody answering radio
hails.... does it mean you are expected to stand like a stork and keep
looking??... or do you have time to go below and fetch another brew?

I generally totally ignore the COLREGS... and for the most part any other
regulations or enforcement personnel involved. Then again I don't get into
a fit because some woman sailed around the world in a sailboat either.

CM

Capt. Neal®

At all times means at all times. How can it be more clear than that.
It means you can't be below cooking a meal or you can't be sleeping.
You can't be listening to your walkman and you can't be climbing
the mast making repairs.

You cannot sail solo around the world and comply with Rule 5.

In order to make sailing around the world comply with the
COLREGS, it would probably require a three-person crew at
minimum. One to run the ship, one to maintain a look-out and
one to be resting, off-duty.

Or, if you wanted to call it solo racing the two others on
board could do the cooking, and watching in shifts while
the person going for the record ran the ship. No help from
the two people designated as look-outs would be allowed
and this could be monitored using a number of small
cameras.

CN