Default Cataraman Info..Responce to previous post

Thanks Jeff and all who replied

I guess I should have said multi hull. ( I think I was drinking Rum and
Coke the night I sent my first message to the news group) my apology.

The boat I am considering is a Yapluka .
http://www.yapluka.fr/spec60_us.htm
They are a fairly new pleasure yacht company. Started producing aluminum
hull Cats a bought 5 years ago.

I have sold a business, and plan to semi retire. I have owned 10 or 11 boats
in my
lifetime. I purchased my first small motor boat when I was 16. I bought it
before
I bought a car.

The last boat I owned was a Formula 41 PC with twin 504's. The only sailboat
I have ever owned was a Morgan 22, and that was almost 20 years ago. I had
it
on a Lake in the Ozarks. ( Grand Lake in Oklahoma) . In fact all the boats I
have
owned have been Lake pleasure craft in the Ozarks. Lake of the Ozarks,
TableRock
Lake and Grand Lake.

Grand Lake was not a very good Lake for sailing. It seemed like the wind
directions
changed every quarter mile. All work and not much fun. Spent more time
anchored in a
cove than sailing.

I crewed on a friends 50 foot Morgan in the Bahamas abought 5 years ago. I
loved it.
And I did get seasick our second day out, but that's another story.

I have never lived on the Ocean. (A lifelong dream). My son moved to Puerto
Vallarta, Mexico last summer.
They have a great Marina. That is where I intend to dock the boat.

I started researching Trans-Ocean craft. My decision for a multi hull sail,
were various.
Saftey, cost of operation, speed etc. I also figured that a boat in the
Pacific needed to
be over 50 feet due to the potential size of the seas.

I intend to spend approximately a year after I purchase getting
qualified..(Captains ratings etc)..
Spend time sailing up and down the West pacific coast for some experience.
And then its off to the South Pacific.. Tahiti…..New Zealand…
just started playing with charts also..so the big trip is still in early
planning stage.

Any way back to budget and Boat. The Yapluka is pricy. It would be great to
find
something similar for 30 to 40 percent less money. There is a used 60 foot,
2002 for
sale in Spain. I am impressed with their finish and design..

But as all of you can probably tell .. I am pretty green and defiantly a
novice..
So that's why I ask for some suggestions from the news group..

Thanks again in advance for your help..

GaleB
Capt. Neal®

Gale,

Your post is typical of novice posts we see here from time
to time.

It represents somebody dreaming who has more money than
good sense. You need to re-evaluate your whole plan and
stop trying to bite off way, way, way more than you can chew.

Because you can afford a vessel does not, in any way, shape
or form mean you are qualified to handle a vessel.

I've commented below throughout your pie-in-the-sky post.
You should read my comments carefully before you go out and
get yourself or somebody else killed trying to rescue you from
your ignorance and poor choices.

wrote in message

The boat I am considering is a Yapluka .
http://www.yapluka.fr/spec60_us.htm
They are a fairly new pleasure yacht company. Started producing aluminum
hull Cats a bought 5 years ago.

Get a real sail boat! That Cat is a motorboat with a mast. Its generators
are larger than most yacht motors. But, before you get any boat read on . . .

I have sold a business, and plan to semi retire. I have owned 10 or 11 boats
in my
lifetime. I purchased my first small motor boat when I was 16. I bought it
before
I bought a car.

Driving motor boats only qualifies you to drive motorboats. Any fool can
motor a little boat around. It means nothing. Your attitude shows you are too
arrogant and too ignorant to safely sail a vessel.

The last boat I owned was a Formula 41 PC with twin 504's. The only sailboat
I have ever owned was a Morgan 22, and that was almost 20 years ago. I had
it
on a Lake in the Ozarks. ( Grand Lake in Oklahoma) . In fact all the boats I
have
owned have been Lake pleasure craft in the Ozarks. Lake of the Ozarks,
TableRock
Lake and Grand Lake.

Yes, sir! Driving a series of little motorboats around inland lakes sure
makes you qualified to sail a large multi-hull on the ocean. I bet you don't
even know what a chart is, let alone how to read and use one.

Grand Lake was not a very good Lake for sailing. It seemed like the wind
directions
changed every quarter mile. All work and not much fun. Spent more time
anchored in a
cove than sailing.

In other words, you don't really like to sail because it's too much trouble.
Why not forget all about a multi-hull with sails. Why not just get a motor-cat?
You know in your heart if a little ole 22-footer is too much trouble to sail,
then a 60-footer is way beyond your capabilities.

I crewed on a friends 50 foot Morgan in the Bahamas abought 5 years ago. I
loved it.
And I did get seasick our second day out, but that's another story.

One of the worst sailing boats ever made. It is not much more than a floating
motel with sails. It has more heads than sails, more windows than the Trump
Tower, more horsepower than a Mac truck and more ignorant owners than
Plowville has rednecks.

I have never lived on the Ocean. (A lifelong dream). My son moved to Puerto
Vallarta, Mexico last summer.
They have a great Marina. That is where I intend to dock the boat.

How are you planning to get it there? Overland by truck? You certainly
are not qualified to sail it - even on a little inland lake.

I started researching Trans-Ocean craft. My decision for a multi hull sail,
were various.
Saftey, cost of operation, speed etc. I also figured that a boat in the
Pacific needed to
be over 50 feet due to the potential size of the seas.

Bwaaaahahahahhahahahhahahahahahh! You are showing your ignorance.
You are also showing your pie-in-the-sky. You are one of these people
we read about in the newspapers who go out on the ocean, immediately
get uncomfortable and seasick in their first storm so they call for rescue
and abandon a perfectly seaworthy vessel because they are afraid and
disillusioned. It's quite pathetic really.

I intend to spend approximately a year after I purchase getting
qualified..(Captains ratings etc)..

Bwahahhaha ahah ah ah hah a haha hahah! A whole year getting qualified
to sail on the high seas!!! There's no way you can get a Captain's license
in a year with your lack of time at sea. Your little lake motorboat time does
not count. You're going to have to put in some serious time on the ocean in
order to even dream of becoming a captain. A year of putzing around on
a boat you bought prematurely probably means you will have one tenth the
time needed to succeed sailing the high seas.

Somebody needs to inject a dose of reality into some of you uppity novice
wannabes. You give sailing a bad name. That's the disservice hot-dog racers
like little Ellen MacCarthur do to us all. Their dangerous exploits backed by
megabucks and teams of support people ashore cause ignorant lubbers such
as yourself to actually believe you can go out there and do it all by yourself.
You forget all about the fact that Litte Ellen has more years sailing than you
have IQ points. The mast and mainsail alone on her sponsored boat probably
costs more than most cruising boats.

Spend time sailing up and down the West pacific coast for some experience.
And then its off to the South Pacific.. Tahiti…..New Zealand…
just started playing with charts also..so the big trip is still in early
planning stage.

Bwahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahah! I wonder if you even realize how much
you sound likethe typical magazine article sailor. You read it somewhere and
conclude, "That's for me" while you haven't even experienced sticking your
big toe into the ocean when she's in one of her ugly moods.

Any way back to budget and Boat. The Yapluka is pricy. It would be great to
find
something similar for 30 to 40 percent less money. There is a used 60 foot,
2002 for
sale in Spain. I am impressed with their finish and design..

More money than sense - always a dangerous combination!!!

But as all of you can probably tell .. I am pretty green and defiantly a
novice..
So that's why I ask for some suggestions from the news group..

The understatement of the century. My advice is put your silly, dreams
on hold for at least two or three years. There's plenty of time to
buy a boat. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Take advantage of those years to crew on a number of different vessels
which are operated by qualified individuals. Do some passage making as crew.
Get some experience and a realistic picture of what ocean sailing is all about.
If you like what you experience, then and only then should you buy a boat
of your own.

Do us ALL a favor - listen to this good advice. It may well save your life.
Your current plans represent a clear and present danger for yourself and
anyone unfortunate enough to be nearby when you need to be rescued.

Captain Neal
USCG licensed Master, 25GT Near Coastal
Yacht, "Cut the Mustard"

P.S. Read the Novice Lessons - read them all.
http://captneal.homestead.com/index.html

GaleB

Joe

Now why did you go and do that Capt?.

A real sailor might get a chance to salvage an abandoned 60 footer and
keep her for the efforts. Nothing like hauling in a big pile of money.
Joe

Jeff Morris

While Neal's critique is a bit harsh, I must admit I was thinking many
of the same thoughts as I read your post.

But, as a catamaran owner, I feel I must add a few comments ...

A 60 foot catamaran is a Monster! This boat was intended to be handled
by a professional crew, not a retired couple. All of the systems will
need power assist, and if there's a problem, you'll be unable to raise
sail or hoist an anchor. Further, with a beam of 31 feet there is
virtually no place to keep it. My 18 foot beam is modest, and I have
trouble finding a berth. Maneuvering a boat like that without deckhands
is impossible, because you have no visibility at the corners. You'll
end up putting video cameras in just to get into a fuel dock!

There's no reason why a cat has to be over 35 to 45 feet to be seaworthy
and comfortable. Numerous long distance passages and circumnavigations
have been done by a variety of mid sized cats, like a Prout 37. Larger
cats, like a PDQ 44 or Manta provide a huge amount of space and can
still be handled easy.

The other issue Neal covered fairly well - why would you consider
investing a million bucks when you have virtually no experience in ocean
sailing? You can buy a very serviceable coastal cruiser for $100K, give
or take, and learn the skills with much smaller risk. If you decide to
move up in a year or so, you can sell it for close to what you paid, and
the knowledge gained will save you a fortune on the next boat.

Good luck on whatever you do, and keep us posted.

Jeff www.sv-loki.com
John Cairns

wrote in message
But as all of you can probably tell .. I am pretty green and defiantly a
novice..
So that's why I ask for some suggestions from the news group..

Thanks again in advance for your help..

GaleB

I would attempt to get a little more experience with long distance
passagemaking before I did anything.

John Cairns

Neal and Jeff

Thanks for your response, and great advice. Obviously, my ambition is
larger than my
ability. Perhaps the same thing that killed John Kennedy Jr. and passengers,
To much plane
and not enough pilot.

I failed to mention I have had some time at Sea. I was a commissioned
officer in
the Naval Reserve unit in my home town for 12 years (O-4). I have spent
approximately
two years on active duty assigned to Coast Guard duty in the Gulf of Mexico
and
3 months or so total time in summer camp at sea training in San Diego . Even
with the excellent
schools years ago. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

And I certainly don't profess to be a quantified sailor.

I had considered that I would need to hire at least (2) qualified crew. In
fact I believe
to use the Yapluka I referred to In Mexican waters I would have been
required to
use a certified Captain of Mexican nationality in order to insure the
vessel,
because of the level of non-experience I have.

I assure you I understand the risk involved and appreciate your advice.

I will re think my ambition. I think the crew time is a great idea. Maybe
someone will
let me cook.

I have always said Boat People are the greatest people in the world.

Thanks again for good rational advice.. I'll slow down fly the piper cub
before I start shopping for a twin engine plane.

With that said what would you suggest I consider as a learning curve boat.
Do you think at 54 I am to old to become somewhat proficient at sailing.
I am in good health and in fairly good shape, but I am certainly not 25
anymore.

GaleB.
Joe

"Admitting to being slapped down" snipped

GaleB.

Whats the problem Gale?
You gonna let a retired coronodo sailor and some yacht jockey tell you
how to fly?

Thats BULL****. If you did indeed build 11 companies of any worth
then you know how to lead, how to plan, how to fight for and take what
you want.

If I had a few million I'd buy whatever boat I could afford to sail on
forever, with a little practice you soon will become the master of your
own ship, just as you were master of your corporations. You got to get
down in the bull pin and play with the bulls. Hell your in your 50's
and you might die tommorow. Go for the gusto! Lead! Take what you have
earned. Stepping stones is for the bobspirts of the world.

Don't lower your goals, raise the bar.

Gale......Thats a girly name. But thats a cool looking cat you picked.
Joe

Wally

wrote in message

Do you think at 54 I am to old to become somewhat proficient at sailing.
I am in good health and in fairly good shape, but I am certainly not 25
anymore.

The helm of the boat I crew on is 74, and only has one arm (well, 1.5 arms).
When we sail two-up, and fly the spinnaker, I do foredeck while he handles
everything in the cockpit - minds the tiller, drops the jib, releases the
spinnaker pole up/downhauls, gets the pole up, and works the spinnaker
sheets to start it drawing until I come back to take them off him. Don't ask
me how he does it, but he usually has a sheet clamped in his teeth and
another wrapped around the end of his short arm (turning it blue as the
circulation gets cut off...).

Thanks Joe

I looked at Captain Neals web site. Its actually pretty good.
He is funny, well read, and full of shxx, I think I would like him.

And yes my parents wanted a girl and I got the girly name..
You should see some of the strange mail I get. I always
send everything Tampex sends me back.

The only time I was glad I had the name was my freshman
year in college..they put me in a girls gym class..took three
weeks to transfer..best three weeks in college I had.

Whatever boat I end up with..Maybe I name her
A Boy Named Sue

GaleB
Ian Malcolm

Wally wrote:
wrote in message

Do you think at 54 I am to old to become somewhat proficient at sailing.
I am in good health and in fairly good shape, but I am certainly not 25
anymore.

The helm of the boat I crew on is 74, and only has one arm (well, 1.5 arms).
When we sail two-up, and fly the spinnaker, I do foredeck while he handles
everything in the cockpit - minds the tiller, drops the jib, releases the
spinnaker pole up/downhauls, gets the pole up, and works the spinnaker
sheets to start it drawing until I come back to take them off him. Don't ask
me how he does it, but he usually has a sheet clamped in his teeth and
another wrapped around the end of his short arm (turning it blue as the
circulation gets cut off...).

My mother took up dinghy sailing in her mid 50s and is in the process of
moving up to bigger boats 15 years later. Given reasonable health and
fitness, its your mental age not your real age that counts. The former
commodore of my dinghy club has just stepped down from commodore to vice
commodore to concentrate on his racing and he's about to turn 80.

Go find an oldish cheap 27 footer monohull in decent sailable condition
but maybe needing a bit of TLC and sail it for a year while you brush up
your theory with some shoreside courses. Meanwhile grab every chance yo
can to crew on 40+ footers. You'll soon see if you really want that big
cat, and you'll have a good idea of what you are weak at before you take
the helm of the big cat so you'll have a better chance of avoiding a
$1000000 prang. You shouldn't loose much if anything selling the 27
footer on in a year or two's time either.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.