David Hall

Default Manual needed for Sunbird Boat & info on trailer

I just bought a used Sunbird boat - a 1990 Sunbird Corsica 188 Cuddy. The
previous owners had a nice manual for the OMC Cobra stern drive, but nothing on
the boat itself. I would like to find a manual for this or a similar (hopefully
Sunbird) boat to get some info on capacities, specs, tow ratings, and other
non-drive train stuff.

It also came with a galvanized trailer that I have no info on. A sticker on the
tongue says it is a Sunbird trailer, but all of the blanks for data such as
GVWR, tire info, date of Mfg, etc either never had anything printed in them or
the info has disappeared without a trace. What I know about it is from the
title and the previous owner's insurance form. These say that it is a 1990, Tie
Down, with a GVWR of 3,420, an unladen weight of 700 and is 20' long. Visually
I know it has no brakes, has 78-14 ST tires on 14" rims (duh!) and an older
light group without the middle brake lights. It was used a few times in the
early 1990s but has basically sat for 10 or 12 years as the boat was left at
the marina. I doubt anyone can give any rational data on the trailer from that
info, but it is worth this try. Maybe someone could at least tell me how to
know what brake items I will need to install a surge brake system on this
trailer. I am considering the Champion Trailer Hydraulic Surge 10" Drum Brake
Kit #6054 for about $400 (my catalog is old), but I do not know how to
determine if it will fit this trailer.

OK, enough playing the poor moron newby, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Hall
JamesgangNC

Most boats have little in the way of manuals and documentation for the boat
it's self. They make the hull and interior but buy and bolt on the rest.

Champion is a good source for trailer stuff. You ought to pull and inspect
the wheel bearings. Same as boats goes for trailers on documentation.

If you're adding brakes surge disk are the most reliable, Champion can sell
you a kit.