JG

Yeah, I forgot which epoxy I used. The cast iron needs to be sealed.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

JG wrote:
I agree. I just use a good bottom paint. I haven' t had any rust.

You must be rust free, and before you put on your bottom
paint/antifoulant, you need to have a barrier coat. I prefer an epoxy.
Only thing better is a process called Met-coating were hot molten zinc
is sprayed on. Many of the offshore platforms and barges are protected
this way.

Antifoulant absorbs moisture and should never be use alone on
steel/iron.

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Glassing in iron is dumb IMO, What a nightmare that would turn

into.

Throw that zinc chromate away and get some endsrust, redlead,

epoxy,
bottom paint. I can go 3- 4 years min. on a bottom job without

seeing
any rust.

Joe

Capt. Neal®

Dear Katysails,

Capt. Neal is not a troll. Capt. Neal is a brilliant observer of life
and an exceptional practitioner of sailing. As on the water, in this
group of losers, the good Capt. Neal has no equal.

If it seems to you that the good Capt. Neal is a bigot and a racist
it is only because, compared to any race and any other individual,
Capt. Neal is so far superior in every way that his very presence
lends credence to the fact that no one can compare to his excellency.

As for age wearing me down, that's not the case. For your
information, Capt. Neal is trying to turn over a new leaf and
is reading the Bible and taking some Bible study Internet lessons
from the Charles Stanley Institute for Christian Living.

http://www.charlesstanleyinstitute.com/portal/home.html

I shall pray for you that you become a little more tolerant of others.

CN

"katysails" wrote in message ...
lately Neal's a troll? Neal's always been a troll, always been a
malcontent, and always been a racist and a bigot...these are not new
facts....in fact, he's much softer in his views than he was, say 5 years
ago....one can only think that age is wearing him down...

"abstrait" wrote in message
ups.com...
Capt, Neal, you are perhaps one of the most blatantly ignorant
malcontents I have ever read online, and that's in a list of many.
Sadly, and almost as par for the course, you consider yourself
knowledgeable and witty, yet your comments are so unabashidly blind,
almost to the level of comedic, that it's embarrassing. If this was a
parody of ignorance via a cartoon network coloring book, it would
perhaps warrant a few guffaws. Never before have I prayed for
sarcasm....

I didnt know people were still saying the word "commie" in 2005. Your
understanding of things International is sitting square in the middle
of solipsism, not to mention the paramount of a twisted ethnocentric
vision that seems common and given strength since 9/11, and all for the
wrong reasons.

Lastly, you are really nothing but a troll, and a glorified one at
that. Your bombast is sprinkled far and wide in here and almost
outnumbers your contributions of merit, although some do exist.

Happening on here this morning and reading your complete tripe is like
witnessing a car wreck in slow motion, over and over, with no end in
sight. If you are the best the Alt.saiing.asa has to offer, then it's
not a good sign. Alas, as stated, you are the consumate troll, so you
eat this stuff up. I can only wonder how many sailors with sense you
have driven away.

I am now sorry I entered this thread as it was reduced to total schlock
within 24 hours.

kh

Capt. Neal®

"abstrait" scribbled

Capt, Neal, you are perhaps one of the most blatantly ignorant
malcontents I have ever read online, and that's in a list of many.

And you are but just another on-line rube with whom I am plagued.

Sadly, and almost as par for the course, you consider yourself
knowledgeable and witty, yet your comments are so unabashidly blind,
almost to the level of comedic, that it's embarrassing. If this was a
parody of ignorance via a cartoon network coloring book, it would
perhaps warrant a few guffaws. Never before have I prayed for
sarcasm....

Sounds like some kind of auto-generated post to me. Is Pakin back
with his software?

I didnt know people were still saying the word "commie" in 2005. Your
understanding of things International is sitting square in the middle
of solipsism, not to mention the paramount of a twisted ethnocentric
vision that seems common and given strength since 9/11, and all for the
wrong reasons.

Yes, Scott is back . . .

snip

CN

Maxprop

"JG" wrote in message

Why's that? I thought you hate the French. Let them take it back if that's
how you feel.

The Frogs make tempting targets for ridicule, but I don't hate them.

Max

Maxprop

"Dave" wrote in message

I'm not at all sure that glassing the iron in as some boats do is the
answer, since if you do get salt water penetrating to the keel the iron
rusts and expands, creating its own problems.

There are pros and cons for encapsulation, but suffice it to say that any
keel can develop problems if improperly maintained or grounded roughly.

We once considered buying a Hallberg Rassey Rasmus 35, but passed when we
noted a breach in the keel-encapsulating fiberglass which was constantly
seeping rusty water. I doubt if there's any fix for that sort of problem,
short of removing all the glass and re-encapsulating the keel, which would
cost more than the boat was worth.

Max

Maxprop

"Joe" wrote in message

Only thing better is a process called Met-coating were hot molten zinc
is sprayed on.

That would be almost the same as galvanizing the keel.

Max

Joe

Dave wrote:
On 16 Jan 2005 09:58:14 -0800, "Joe" said:

Throw that zinc chromate away and get some endsrust, redlead, epoxy,
bottom paint. I can go 3- 4 years min. on a bottom job without

seeing
any rust.

I'm all ears. Can you describe what you do in a bit more detail? I

use zinc
chromate followed by bottom paint because that's what my surveyor
recommended, but would certainly love to find a more effective

treatment.

Whats important is having a surface clean of rust, the best is to
sandblast. Second wirewheels and lots of elbow grease. But even after
doing both you will have some microscopic rust. Coat the steel with
endsrust, that what the local shops re-selling in call it here is a
link: http://www.interstateproducts.com/rustkiller.htm

Its a great product, waterbased and it will nuteralize any rust, turns
it black, the stuff is like a polyurthane but no bad fumes and is 100
times better than Naveljelly or ospho. A good thick coat of redlead
next is ideal if you can find it, I have a navy buddy get mine.

Next get a quality 2 part epoxy to provide a waterproof barrier, Then
your antifoulant. Zinc chromate will react with many antifoulants
surely it goes to **** in no time with copper based antifoulants. Makes
the hull hot electrolysis wise.

On steel I prefer to use a insecticide type antifoulant with no metals
at all.

Do all this when the humidity is below 20% and give each coat a day to
dry. I usually put 3 coats of epoxy, Rustolum make a garage paint floor
epoxy that is as good as any, and cheaper.

Good Luck

Joe

abstrait

Capt. Neal=AE wrote:

Sounds like some kind of auto-generated post to me.
Is Pakin back with his software?

I didnt know people were still saying the
word "commie" in 2005. Your understanding
of things International is sitting square
in the middle of solipsism, not to mention
the paramount of a twisted ethnocentric
vision that seems common

Yes, Scott is back . . .

Pakin? How can one be so wrong and proud of it, with seemingly no
aftershocks within the skull? Even if sarcasm can be claimed here, it
is so weak and off topic, it merely flaps about, grasping for
relevance. Auto Generated? Is this your excuse for not having to come
up with something meaningful nor correct?

Anyone that registers his own name within the usenet/groups illustrates
an almost staggering sense of self worth, and though they would
probably claim some form of "elbow in the side" as an excuse, this is
merely to hide the truth: this is where the pond begins and ends, and
it's a fine, easily managable body of water, with fenders all about and
plenty of depth, almost like a barrel of water with no current to
impede, so as to enable more twirling about. And in this small pond,
which is safe and sound, you ride high on Captain's laurels, self
proclaimed of course, but no less important in the local scheme of
things, all as far as you know.

Dont get me wrong, Capt. Coronado; I love witty banter and off topic
amusement. But when it's just plain ignorant and small-minded, and
seemingly proud of it, then it's merely mediocre or less. And your
Neander-Neocon posts are high marks on the low road totem poll.

Then again, after perusing the posts here, this place appears to be a
holding tank for many like-minded "psuedo-salts."

kh

abstrait

Capt. Neal=AE wrote:

[...]

Then again, after perusing the posts here, amidst the good advice and
comments, it still appears to be a holding tank for many like-minded
"NeoCon-O-salts" where high-fives abound at the low water mark.

kh