Homeratsea

Default Butane Soldering Iron

Thought this may be of some use to you cruisers without inverters and
big batteries. Been using a butane soldering iron for field work for
many years and just realized it would be great on our "planned"
long-term cruise. The link is www.masterappliance.com. The iron I
use is model UT-50, but there are many other models. I don't work for
the company. Just wanted to pass on the suggestion.
Steve

Looks useful but for the prospect of keeping another butane/propane source
stored onboard.. I'll adimit I keep a couple of the standard torch cylinder
in the cockpit locker and a aluminum tank for the BBQ but try to avoid
taking any of them below.. (I've had problems with those torch head valves
leaking )

For back up soldering needs I have an old 12 vdc soldering iron I got at
Radio Shack many years ago.. I'd say it's about 40 watts but has a fine tip
and I have to plug and unplug it to regulate the temp. when working on
anything fine like circuit board. However the extra wattage is handy when I
need to solder heavy wire connections. I don't consider the 3.3 amp a big
deal for the breaf period I might use it..

My main concern would be a replacement 12 iron when this one finally gives
out. Radio Shack has scaled back to near nothing in their electronic tools
and parts.

Thanks for the tip.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Mark Borgerson

In article ,
says...
Thought this may be of some use to you cruisers without inverters and
big batteries. Been using a butane soldering iron for field work for
many years and just realized it would be great on our "planned"
long-term cruise. The link is
www.masterappliance.com. The iron I
use is model UT-50, but there are many other models. I don't work for
the company. Just wanted to pass on the suggestion.

Just don't try to take one on a commercial aircraft when filled.
I had to open my tool kit and demonstrate that there was
no butane in the soldering iron on a recent trip. And that
was for checked baggage.

Mark Borgerson

Fragged

hi
I use 12v soldering irons at the school where i work we get our spares from
RS electronics, see them on web

fragged

"Homeratsea" wrote in message
om...
Thought this may be of some use to you cruisers without inverters and
big batteries. Been using a butane soldering iron for field work for
many years and just realized it would be great on our "planned"
long-term cruise. The link is www.masterappliance.com. The iron I
use is model UT-50, but there are many other models. I don't work for
the company. Just wanted to pass on the suggestion.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:04:13 +0000, Homeratsea wrote:

Thought this may be of some use to you cruisers without inverters and
big batteries. Been using a butane soldering iron for field work for
many years and just realized it would be great on our "planned"
long-term cruise. The link is www.masterappliance.com. The iron I
use is model UT-50, but there are many other models. I don't work for
the company. Just wanted to pass on the suggestion.

Unless you're talking BIG jobs, I just use a 12VDC iron - plenty for
electrical work. I think I got it at Radio Shack.

Lloyd