BoatBanter.com

-   -   The Beneteau First 235 "wing" is IRON (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/27150-beneteau-first-235-%22wing%22-iron.html)

abstrait January 15th 05 10:47 AM

The Beneteau First 235 "wing" is IRON

Ugen wrote:

So my brave little First 235 under my sloppy command hit a submerged

stone
while leaving Greenwich, CT harbor. It wasnt a very
strong hit, more like scraping, so i fugured - a scratch on a keel -

who cares.
Wrong again! Apparently beneteau in a quest for cost effectivness

glues
the wings onto the keel with something closely resembling 3M 5200.
So here we go - the boat just came out of the water and the wings are

not to be
found there. Lesson number 3 - buying imported (French) boats isn't

much
different from buying imported cars. The wings (fiberglass part,

about 1' wide,
2' long) may cost me (as per Benetau USA parts guy) about $1000.

First of all, the wing on the Beneteau First 235 is NOT fiberglass. In
fact, it is made of IRON just like the keel, and covered with
epoxy/resin to seal it. Secondly, the wing on the Beneteau F235 is NOT
glued on with just 5200. The wing is attached with THREE large bolts
and sealed. Some of the run of wing keels might be made differently;
there is still debate here. On the earlier models of the US run
started in 86/87, you can see the seam of the wing keel where the wing
is added. Some of these leave the bolt heads exposed, recessed in
bottom. Others have these anomolies completely covered with a seamless
joint between wing and fin, the bolt heads invisible.

Apparently, you hit the wing with enough force to shear the bolts off,
something I have never seen or heard of before or since.

IF anyone is interested, a view of the Beneteau F235 wing keel is seen
below, this before and after a restoration.

http://www.beneteau235.com/keel_pdf/...el_montage.jpg

Here you see the separate wing, top and bottom, along with the bolts
that are used to attach it. You notice the wing on and off the fin,
and get an excellent shot of the wing keel faired and finished with
barrier coat.

The original keels are not available any more. However, more than a
few owners have converted to the new Mars/Leif Beiley lead keel so one
could find extras this way. Mars makes the Leif Beiley lead keel
option right now, details to be found at http://beneteau235.com/

As an aside, it is far more likely your F235 was made in the Beneteau
plant in South Carolina, and NOT imported from France. 451 F235 were
made there.

This post is left for information purposes, since the original poster
has long since lived this malady down...
kh
Beneteau F235 ~ abstrait
'89 WK | Hull #327
http://beneteau235.com

katysails January 15th 05 03:15 PM

As an addition, being the owner of a French boat that was built in France,
getting parts from France is much cheaper, faster, and more efficient than
trying to get them in the US. We deal directly with the Kirie people in La
Rochelle whenever we have a problem and have had nothing but satisfactory
service. The cost of the part we order is generally half that of what it
costs here and the shipping is not expensive. I suppose ifyou had to order
something as weighty as a lead keel bulb that might change...

"abstrait" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxprop January 15th 05 08:26 PM

"abstrait" wrote in message

First of all, the wing on the Beneteau First 235 is NOT fiberglass.

No commercially-produced boats have strictly FRP wings. They all have some
weight in them, whether iron, lead, or whatever.

In
fact, it is made of IRON just like the keel, and covered with
epoxy/resin to seal it.

While iron is less desirable than lead for obvious reasons, it is
increasingly more common in production yachts as keel ballast. Lead is more
costly and less available, and there are some environmental issues with
lead/antimony keel materials as well. While most manufacturers would prefer
lead ballast, many are going to iron. Even high-end builders, such as
Moody, are using iron. No big deal, IMO, if properly encapsulated and
maintained.

Max

Maxprop January 15th 05 08:29 PM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Only an unpatriotic, commie idiot would buy anything from France.

I have boycotted all things Frog and I invite everybody to follow my
lead. Let's hit those corrupt commie jerks where it hurts - right in
their pocketbook.

Right on, Cappy. Boycott those *******s.

Say, let's have a drink on that. I've got a nice Chateau Lynch Bages '86
just waiting to be opened and . . . .

Max

Capt. Neal® January 15th 05 08:33 PM

Right you are about iron keels.

Coronado Yachts was using iron over 30 years ago.
My Coronado 27 has a cast iron keel. Today's leading
edge technology yesterday - how about that?

CN

JG January 15th 05 09:30 PM

In that case, please be sure not to visit the Statue of Liberty.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

JG January 15th 05 09:31 PM

My Cal 20 has a cast iron keel... 950 lbs of it. It makes it quite stable on
the bay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
.net...

Horvath January 16th 05 12:50 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:47:42 -0500, Capt. Neal®
wrote this crap:

Only an unpatriotic, commie idiot would buy anything from France.

I have boycotted all things Frog and I invite everybody to follow my
lead. Let's hit those corrupt commie jerks where it hurts - right in
their pocketbook.

That's right! I've switched to drinking the finest upstate New York
shampane, and the best Northern Michigan cherry wines I can get.

Horvath January 16th 05 01:11 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:31:52 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

My Cal 20 has a cast iron keel... 950 lbs of it. It makes it quite stable on
the bay.

That's also because the mast is only eight feet tall.