Bill Farina

Default Seafarer 38s

I'm considering purchasing a 1973 Seafarer 38 Ketch and was wondering what
people think of them? They sound like a sturdy boat from what I've heard so
far.

Bill

DSK

Bill Farina wrote:
I'm considering purchasing a 1973 Seafarer 38 Ketch and was wondering what
people think of them? They sound like a sturdy boat from what I've heard so
far.

I think they're pretty well built for their era. I don't know the
Seafarer 38 but have checked out a S-34. The main points I can think of
are more due to the design (narrow, low freeboard) than build.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

I believe it was earlier (or later) made/sold as the Hughs 38.

If I have the right boat in mind, I would personally prefer the original Atomic
4 engine installed. The engine placement took advantage of the small size of
the A/4 (mid cabin for better boat balance). The closest diesel replacement
(in size) is several inches higher, and the table has to be raised so much it
looks out of place.

Again, if it is the boat I think it is, the boat does not back up well under
power (not really a problem). Some boatyards with absolutely no ethics at all
will tell the boat owner that is because the prop is too far forward (which of
course is a crock of ****) of the rudder and for a mere $X,XXX or $XX,000 they
will "fix" the problem. Afterwards (when the boat doesn't back up any better)
the boatyard will tell the owner he needs to "let the boat pick up speed" in
reverse for controlability, which of course all that was needed from the
beginning.

The boat is a tad small inside compared to later 38 foot sailboats, but sure is
a graceful looking boat. Find one with the Atomic 4 still inside, tell the
seller that gasoline engines blow up thousands of times each year killing tens
of thousands of sailors and therefore you wouldn't consider taking his junk
ready to blow up bomb off his hands for anything more than 30% of his asking
price. If he quivers and shakes, you may just have a genuine bargain on your
hands. If he falls to the ground holding his belly laughing his ass off, laugh
yourself, help him back up and start talking turkey on the boat. It probably
is in excellent shape overall.

I'm considering purchasing a 1973 Seafarer 38 Ketch and was wondering what
people think of them? They sound like a sturdy boat from what I've heard so

far.

JG

It seems to me that if the choice is between having a slightly raised table
that looks a little odd and a non-gasoline engine, I would take the diesel
replacement.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

not "slightly" raised, but rather SEVERAL inches. Think of your kitchen table
raised 4-1/2". It looks like hell. Well, to most people anyway.

now think of a smelly, noisy vibrating belcher under that table, that sounds
and smells like a 1960's city bus.

btw, BOO!!

btw-2, more people died in your city of residence in the last month of AIDs
than have died of gasoline engine in a boat in the entire history of powered
boats.

btw-2, the guy is talking about buying a 20 year old boat at a fine price, and
you want to talk about improbable events.

JG

I don't like gasoline engines in boats. Perhaps if the boat is that cramped,
it's not much of a boat. It seems to me that a few more inches for a table
isn't that big a deal. If it's a good diesel engine, it's not going to be
vibrating that much. The modern diesels are much improved.

BTW, I don't live in SF.

BTW, it's not an "improbably" event. Gasoline is much more dangerous than
diesel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
not "slightly" raised, but rather SEVERAL inches. Think of your kitchen
table
raised 4-1/2". It looks like hell. Well, to most people anyway.

now think of a smelly, noisy vibrating belcher under that table, that
sounds
and smells like a 1960's city bus.

btw, BOO!!

btw-2, more people died in your city of residence in the last month of
AIDs
than have died of gasoline engine in a boat in the entire history of
powered
boats.

btw-2, the guy is talking about buying a 20 year old boat at a fine price,
and
you want to talk about improbable events.

JG

I know this is what you like to do, which is as you point out not very
smart, but I insist on women.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I don't like gasoline engines in boats.

yet, jg, you will have unprotected sex with yet another guy. How smart is
that?

JG

Where do you get your information... from a comic book no doubt.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
nah. according to a marine insurance company, a **diesel** engine is
something
like 500% more likely to set an engine room on fire than a gas, this
despite
that company's fact that a boat with an inboard engine is close to 20
times
more likely to have a gas engine. keep in mind that almost every last
powerboat
with an inboard engine has a gas engine. Diesels are seldom put in any
boat
other than scared squatless sailboaters (who motor from one anchorage to
another) and some very large powerboats. Virtually every powerboat
capable of
going 35 mph sustained has a gas engine. put a diesel in a 30 foot
powerboat
and the sterm squats down in the water from the extra weight, the upper
boat
speed drops by 30%, the cost of the boat to buy knew goes up by $25,000,
the
cost to repair the engine on a year by year basis goes up 300%, and the
ladies
hold their noses for the smell.

JAXAshby

BoatsUS.