Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

Ripley's Believe It or Not?
Amazing Adventures?
Fact or Fiction?

Yes.

Max

Maxprop

OzOne wrote in message

It does indeed.
'The Sled' is actually not doing Hobart this year, I believe she's
racing North instead but many of her crew will go south in other
yachts.
Built as a downwind flyer, hence the Bobsled name, when she was
launched she had a small problem with her keel wich caused the entire
boat to literally buzz when surfing over 25kts....very uncomfortable.

Exciting as that sounds, I'm too big a coward to ever consider the Hobart,
not that anyone would ever ask me to crew it. But it would be fun to
experience 25kts. on a monohull. Just once.

Max

Maxprop

OzOne wrote in message ...

Only thing I see is the long long fetch and shallow areas that would
produce some really scary waves....

Indeed.

plus the fact that it's always so
frickin cold!

It certainly is when the possibility of really big waves is at hand. Mostly
between November and March. Summer can be hot, sultry, and absolutely calm.
We once crossed Lake Michigan during the summer "doldrums." I phoned my
father from what was as close to the exact center of the lake as possible,
and told him that I typically see bigger waves in my bathtub. It was dead
flat, hazy, and the damn black flies were biting everything in sight,
including our poor pup. Miserable. And hard to believe that at that very
place some waves of more than 50' have existed and probably will again.

Max

JG

Oh come on... 25kts??? That's a normal summer day out here.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

OzOne wrote in message

It does indeed.
'The Sled' is actually not doing Hobart this year, I believe she's
racing North instead but many of her crew will go south in other
yachts.
Built as a downwind flyer, hence the Bobsled name, when she was
launched she had a small problem with her keel wich caused the entire
boat to literally buzz when surfing over 25kts....very uncomfortable.

Exciting as that sounds, I'm too big a coward to ever consider the Hobart,
not that anyone would ever ask me to crew it. But it would be fun to
experience 25kts. on a monohull. Just once.

Max

JG

Like I said, a normal day in traffic. :-}

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:04:03 -0800, "JG"
wrote:

Oh come on... 25kts??? That's a normal summer day out here.

I think he means boat speed, Jon. 8^)

BB

Jeff Morris

Capt. Neal® wrote:
"Maxprop" wrote in message nk.net...

Actually they do have tides, albiet almost imperceptible. Near the equator
the oceans have very little tide. So what?

Bwahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahah! Lord but you are ignorant. What makes
you think there is very little tide near the Equator?

Simple physics proves how stupid your statement really is. The pull of
gravity from the Moon and Sun raises the tides. The pull is the even
greater at the Equator than at higher latitudes because the Earth
surface at the Equator is closer to the Moon and Sun than the higher
latitudes. Hence gravity is slightly stronger there, hence the tides
are actually higher.

Some sailor you are! Go stand in the corner.

So, the moon stays over the equator in your universe? Interesting. For
the rest of us, the Moon's orbit is inclined to the equator by 28
degrees so the moon travels "up and down" from the equator every month.
When the Moon is a its highest declination, we have our largest tides
in the mid-latitudes. Since the Moon is roughly over one of the
tropics, this is called a "tropic tide." When the Moon is over the
equator, we have smaller tides at mid-latitudes; these are called
equatorial tides. (These affects have to be added into the Spring and
Neap tides caused by the relative angle of the sun and moon to get an
almost full picture.)

The tides at the equator are also reduced by the fact that they actually
lag the moon by 6 hours. This is caused by the fact that the "tidal
wave" cannot move fast enough through the ocean to keep up. This s
called "tidal lag" and the tides at low latitudes are called "indirect
tides," while at high latitudes they are "direct tides."

Actually, the tides at any location are likely dominated by local affects.

Nav

Jeff Morris wrote:

The tides at the equator are also reduced by the fact that they actually
lag the moon by 6 hours. This is caused by the fact that the "tidal
wave" cannot move fast enough through the ocean to keep up.

Care to explain that?

Cheers

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard
PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----
Jeff Morris

Nav wrote:
Jeff Morris wrote:

The tides at the equator are also reduced by the fact that they
actually lag the moon by 6 hours. This is caused by the fact that the
"tidal wave" cannot move fast enough through the ocean to keep up.

Care to explain that?

One explanation I've seen is that the average depth of the ocean does
not allow the wave to propagate fast enough at the Equator.
http://www.marktovey.co.uk/tidesfull.html#Q16

I've also seen it described in term of the "natural resonance" of the
ocean at the equator, which is 30 hours, while the Moon's rotation is a
bit over 12 hours, but I'm sure this comes down to the same thing.

What I haven't seen described in detail is exactly how much this affect
reduces the tides.

Capt. Neal®

Hey Booby,

Time to change the baby's diaper. Bwahahahhahahahhahahahahh!

CN

wrote in message ...
. Just look
at my banana boom if you need more proof!

JG

Neal is into diapers.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
. Just look
at my banana boom if you need more proof!

O.T. Bush moves ahead in Michigan RGrew176 General 1 October 22nd 04 02:21 AM
Scared in Michigan dixon General 10 August 31st 04 02:26 AM
Trip Report -- Across Lake Michigan Dionysus Feldman General 17 September 25th 03 01:42 AM
FS 40 Silverton DC MY in Michigan Robert King Marketplace 0 September 23rd 03 12:50 AM