Maxprop

"Donal" wrote in message

Much nonsense about whether Lake Michigan is a lake or a sea, has been
written here over the years.

I would like to settle this debate for once and for all.

Here are some photos that depict conditions in real seas.

http://www.arendnet.com/atlant4.htm

I think that we can agree that conditions like these cannot be found on
"Lake" Michigan!

Great photos. The top one looks like a bulk freighter on Lake M. with an
approaching squall with a trailing wall cloud. Beyond that there isn't much
resemblance. Then again, would any of this ever be seen in the Adriatic,
the Med. or the Red sea? Sea doesn't mean the open ocean, necessarily. It
refers to bodies of water of various sizes.

Max

Maxprop

"Donal" wrote in message

100 foot waves are "quite calm"! Bwahahahaha!!

The biggest waves ever witnessed on Lake Michigan were estimated to be
around 75 to 80 feet. The biggest on Lake Superior were estimated to be
about 10' higher. Rare? Yup, but they can occur. And when they do the
brief spacing between them is what destroys ships. I've been in 30s in the
Caribbean, and I'd much rather have those than 10 footers on Lake M. or Lake
Erie.

Max

Maxprop

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Cool series of pics.

Cut the Mustard has sailed in conditions like that
many a time and has had less difficult a time than
those ships.

Small yachts under sail ride like a duck up and down
those waves and don't get pounded like those ships.

. . . and the occupants of those small yachts get tossed about their cabins
like socks in a clothes dryer.

Max

Joe

Sorry my machine was set on 1/8 of a mile and I only saw the first
photo.

Great pictures, I like the one of the stern shot of the Supply Boat
almost standing up on end. You know anyone in the forward bunkrooms
where either flying up to meet the overhead or shattering teeth when
the bow slams down.

And the oh **** drawing behind the pictures is cool as well. Nothing
like having your whole boat underwater.

Joe

Capt. Neal®

Not so! Those huge waves have little effect upon a small
yacht under a reasonable press of sail to keep her stable.

Of course, in those conditions, the yacht will be sailing
off the wind so the period of the waves becomes longer.

The properly sailed small yacht will only be bothered
but the breakers atop those huge waves. Those breakers
tend to slosh green water into the cockpit, I have found.
One must always keep the washboard in and battened
down.

Those idiot motorvessels seem to be pounding straight
into the waves which seems stupid to me. Why don't they
fall off a bit and take the waves diagonally. They would
have a smoother ride and might even be able to make
some headway.

CN

"Maxprop" wrote in message nk.net...

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Cool series of pics.

Cut the Mustard has sailed in conditions like that
many a time and has had less difficult a time than
those ships.

Small yachts under sail ride like a duck up and down
those waves and don't get pounded like those ships.

. . . and the occupants of those small yachts get tossed about their cabins
like socks in a clothes dryer.

Max

Capt. Neal®

That's why one must sail off the wind and sail under
a small, balanced press of sail so one can maneuver
in such a way to avoid those breakers. They are not
mast height, btw. They are relatively small. Look
closely at the pictures. The really huge looking waves
are taken looking up from a transom when the bow
is in the trough . . .

CN

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:51:34 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

Not so! Those huge waves have little effect upon a small
yacht under a reasonable press of sail to keep her stable.

Of course, in those conditions, the yacht will be sailing
off the wind so the period of the waves becomes longer.

The properly sailed small yacht will only be bothered
but the breakers atop those huge waves. Those breakers
tend to slosh green water into the cockpit, I have found.
One must always keep the washboard in and battened
down.

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaaaa!
Cappy, the breakers atop those huge waves will often be above your
mast height!
They'll pick your little boat up like flicking a fly with your finger!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Thom Stewart

Great Lakes:

They are Lakes! They are huge bodies of water! Bigger than a lot of
seas! Can be very tough in a bad weather! That doesn't make them
anything but a Lake.

They are not at sea level. They have no tides. The flow of water is
always in the same direction, The outlet is always the same. That is
because they are Lakes.

Why must they be classified as a Sea? They are Lakes. Lakes to be damn
proud of! They are superior Bodies of Water, with their own weather
systems. They have their own ship traveling commerce that is busier than
most seas in the world.
They are a wonder of nature as they are.
What have they to gain by being labelled a sea?

Ole Thom

JG

You don't have to Australia for wild weather. Neal and his toy boat wouldn't
last 10 minutes in decent wind....
http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...#anchor1085433
or
http://tinyurl.com/gx7j

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:22:57 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

That's why one must sail off the wind and sail under
a small, balanced press of sail so one can maneuver
in such a way to avoid those breakers. They are not
mast height, btw. They are relatively small. Look
closely at the pictures. The really huge looking waves
are taken looking up from a transom when the bow
is in the trough . . .

CN

Cappy, it's very very obvious that you've never seen anything anywhere
like these waves.
You might like to look at this pic Cappy.
http://www.richardbennett.com.au/
Seas look calm, until you notice that the whole boat is being dragged
sideways by the wave that has just passed her....she's a 70footer!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Donal

"katysails" wrote in message
A product of an inferior education, obviously. The Europeans claim we in
the US know very little about them, however, look at how little they know
about us.

That's not fair, Katy. I searched Google for stories about bad weather on
Lake Michigan. This is about the worst that I found :-

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/in...52726239260.xm

"Waves reached 14 to 18 feet overnight and still were 12 to 16 feet high
this morning, the National Weather Service reported. "

That was in winds that exceeded 50mph!

Why don't you post some links to some sea-riously bad conditions on "Lake"
Michigan?

Regards

Donal

Donal

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:23:04 -0000, "Donal"
scribbled thusly:

I think that we can agree that conditions like these cannot be found on
"Lake" Michigan!

Wow Donal, did you overdose on ignorance pills?

As always Oz, your logic is impeccable. I cannot disagree with you.

I am green with envy when I try to picture the standing ovation that you
must have received when you first used that argument at your university
debating society! Did you take a bow as the audience cheered?

Regards

Donal

O.T. Bush moves ahead in Michigan RGrew176 General 1 October 22nd 04 02:21 AM
Scared in Michigan dixon General 10 August 31st 04 02:26 AM
Trip Report -- Across Lake Michigan Dionysus Feldman General 17 September 25th 03 01:42 AM
FS 40 Silverton DC MY in Michigan Robert King Marketplace 0 September 23rd 03 12:50 AM