Scott Vernon

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

The cabin heater is working fine. To tell you the truth I was up

waiting
for a call from someone even hotter than my famous cabin heater -

Lady
Pilot to be exact. Don't tell Moroon though or he might get jealous.

So, what time did she finally call?

Scotty (Nav will be sooooo jealous)

Capt. Neal®

"Overproof" wrote in message news:ZK4xd.3733$nN6.144@edtnps84...
Take a look at the AM Cup Racers.... do you see a bulbous nose on
any???....NO!

Thom has a cruiser not an America's Cup racer.

Do birds have really big heads.... no

Birds operate in the air - boats are in water which is much
thicker than air.

Does a fine entry provide less friction... Yes!

No - friction is also caused by surface area. In the water surface
area is more important than in the air unless in the air you are talking
supersonic speeds.

Wetted surface is a very large cause of drag on a keel or a
hull. When you decrease wetted surface you decrease drag.

Poor Old Thom added wetted surface to his keel. It looks to
me as if he doubled the wetted surface. In doing so he made
his boat slower. That's a fact. Live with it.

CN

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
They come to a point, yes, a bulbous point. Look at your typical
submarine, dear sir, is there a point or a nice bulbous shape?
Look at most any jet airplane and note the nose does not come
to a point. Look at the space shuttle. Do you see any points there?

I suppose it's too much to ask that anyone here really understand
hydrodynamics but at least try. To get a fat object like a sailboat
through the water efficiently you've got to consider a couple of
things. One is wetted surface. You can have less wetted surface with
a bulb (a sphere is the shape with minimum surface area vs. volume)
than with some long drawn out point. That is a simple fact.

It follows with a ballast keel that a bulb is the most efficient
shape as far as hydrodynamics and containing the volume necessary
is concerned. You want the weight low because it's ballast. You
want hydrodynamic efficiency - you want a bulb for a cruiser.

Granted, a long, deep skinny keel is best for a racer but they are
not constrained by draft like a cruiser is. Do you own a racer or
a cruiser. Answer that question before you screw up a cruiser
chasing racer dreams.

CN

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
CN,

You've given some REALLY Supid reasoning but I guess we can blame the
source.

CN, take your own example; THE SHARK;--- You sound like you never seen
one! Their frontal profile is pointed. POINTED. Its mouth and teeth
aren't in the way

Capt. Neal®

It was a little after Midnight. She was having some trouble with her e-mail
which somehow got messed up in the configuration. She gave me an alternate
so we could keep in touch.

I used to think she was a sock puppet of some sort. Boy, was I ever wrong.
She's a real, all-American conservative woman who thinks like I think. She's
intelligent as well - she's just sooooo fine. She's got the cutest Okie accent.
She's also very attractive looking. (She sent me a pic or two - don't tell Nav, he'll
be bright green with envy.) The very best thing is she will be available soon.

I think I'm in love.

CN

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

The cabin heater is working fine. To tell you the truth I was up

waiting
for a call from someone even hotter than my famous cabin heater -

Lady
Pilot to be exact. Don't tell Moroon though or he might get jealous.

So, what time did she finally call?

Scotty (Nav will be sooooo jealous)

Thom Stewart

OOps, Slipped

Have you ever heard of the "Bottle Nose Dolphin?

A Tuna; pointed head

By the way CN, Have you never seen "Flying Fish?" If you ever sail
offshore in your part of the world, you might even see them on your boat
in the mornings.

"Cut the Mustard" has as lousy an entry as just about anything short of
a scrows bow. You're wrong there as well

Now;--- a keel, with WINGS. I say; "With wings!" CN. You really don't
have a clue to the pluses of a wing keel do you?
Open your Mind. They provide righting force without weight. Anyway you
want to figure it. Bernoulle or Newton. Think about it CN. I hope you
and I will discuss this in length. This give an upright position on the
sails for better sailing, with less trim required.

Also, in preventing Leeway, they have it all over your "Short peckered
Scheel Keel' When my boat heels my keel goes deeper, because of the Wing
pointing down at a location under the Hull. Yours is rotating out of the
water and to one side. Tripp was a good enough designer to give you a
rather narrow hull to ease the creation of weather helm. This is why he
had to increase wetted area.

Finally; If you look at the pictures of your boat out of the water and
mine, you will notice the positions of the mast to that of the keels.
Mine is in front of the Keel. Yours CN is over (above the Keel) I can
adjust my Mast, so as to change the effect of the position of the center
of effort of my sails to create a neutral helm. With your set-up you
can't.

That should give enough information for you to figure a way to slant the
truth your way. FACTS IS FACTS buddy boy, Basic trim 101.

I do believe I have turned this Troll around on you. A good discussion
of misconception corrected by and OLD MAN (G)

Your move

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

CN,

I do believe Bill Tripp designed and the Coranado is describe as a
RACER/CRUISER. Would you like to explain that to the Group?

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

CN,

Yes, I did increase wetted area and yes I probably slowed it down. It
was taken into consideration.

Now, let's talk about the bulbous nose of the Submarine. The Shape of
the Nose was basically for CONTROL! The new power plants on the Subs
increase speed so much that the "BOW Plane operators could never
compensated for the asymmetries shape of the old hulls BUT my friend the
superstructure was made long and pointy and called a sail. They didn't
shape it like a ball!

The Bulbous Bows on Merchant Ship is something you've prove you haven't
a clue about, as pointed out by someone from the group. It is there to
create and control the BOW WAVE to stabilize the length the wave for
hull speed. Remember the KIWIS tried it with their bolt on bottom and
brought the stern wave aboard the hull.

We know you have never come to terms with Hull Speed and Wave Conformity
but they are related. Hull design 101 (Grin)

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

CN,

It mean nothing???? It meant the AC left the shores of good old USA. It
meant that as well as many other things.

Get real CN. Newport no longer host the AC race.

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

CN,

I do believe they still sell the same way and the faster Racer/Cruiser
still gets to sell the most boats

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

Good Nigth, sweet Dunce. Tomorrow is another day

AND: "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!" Still have time out here.

Ole Thom