BoatBanter.com

-   -   What was it like 4 U (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/26195-what-like-4-u.html)

Capt. Neal® December 22nd 04 02:23 AM

Whether man or woman don't insult whomever it may be by
comparing them to Gaynz, please.

CN

"Donal" wrote in message ...

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Oh oh! Maybe BinaryBill is right about your being a man.
A woman would surely ask for an actress role, not an actor's role.

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

LP = JG???

Regards

Donal

katysails December 22nd 04 02:23 AM

You have a Guild card?

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote

I was going to get Bob a directing job fiming the flick version but
after his dis'n me as bb Im not so sure.

Let me know if you ever get the movie project off the ground. I have a
friend that might be interested. He was co-Producer on the Godfather III.
He's back home now in OKC. Last time we had dinner together he was
working on a movie about Wiley Post and was needing technical advise on
stunt pilots, etc.

http://theoscarsite.com/whoswho5/frederickson_g.htm

Of course for my help, you will have to get me an actor's role in the
movie. :-)

LP

Maxprop December 22nd 04 04:43 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

Well duh...who can afford all that diesel?

A single engine trawler, such as a Nordhavn 43 running at 8 kts., is
relatively economical to operate compared with, say, a semi-displacement
trawler, such as a Grand Banks 42 with twin 3208 Cats running at 14kts.
Then again I buy roughly $40 of diesel per annum.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 04:46 AM

"Scout" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message

"Scout" wrote in message

Hi Thom,
Berks County (not too far from Scotty); still teaching; I teach in
Montgomery County, never taught at Truman (I graduated from there
though, before it was called Truman).

Harry S. or Capote?

whichever one dropped those bombs

Ah, that would be Truman Capote.

Max

katysails December 22nd 04 04:49 AM

right....I think we spent $25.00 last season....pump outs were a bit more,
though...too bad you can't harvest the methane from a holding tank straight
into the diesel system and run on your own power...just think, Neal could
circumnavigate with one week's worth...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

Maxprop December 22nd 04 04:52 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

If we were aboard, the dinghy would have been floating off the back...we
might have rowed in to go to the store or something...too bad...next time
give us a holler....you guys are always welcome...

We couldn't tell if there was a dink on the opposite side of the boat. As I
mentioned we were pretty far off and too lazy (or too polite) to get out the
binocs and spy on y'all. We figured if someone peeked up through the
companionway we'd row over and say hi. No one showed, so perhaps you guys
had gone ashore for something. Perhaps the most telling thing was that Nik
didn't bark, and she always barks if she senses a dog anywhere within a mile
when on the water.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:05 AM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

I'd have to bring my own boat. Sailing in a storm on an inferior
French boat would frighten me to death . . .

No fan of the Frogs, I have to admit they build some pretty nice boats.
Nothing like the Americans, Canadians, Brits, Fins, or Swedes, mind you, but
good vessels nonetheless.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:07 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

Why, we'd even let you stay down in the quarter berth with Choppie....he'd
like some company

Mmmm, not a good idea, Katy. Even Chopper has standards. g

Max

JG December 22nd 04 06:23 AM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

I'm not manly enough to be a dyke.

Hey, you said it....

Scout December 22nd 04 08:48 AM

you do realize of course that Capote was Scout's childhood friend, portrayed
as Dill in 'to kill a mockingbird'?
co-ink-a-dink?
Scout

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

Scout December 22nd 04 08:50 AM

yes; there are Woodrow Wilson High Schools all over the place.
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I suppose this is a different 'Wilson " than the one in Berks Co.?

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
My son graduaed from there, when it was Wilson. 1969
ot

I didn't realize you had roots here Thom. I graduated Wilson in 74.
Small world.
Scout

DSK December 22nd 04 02:21 PM

Maxprop wrote:
A single engine trawler, such as a Nordhavn 43 running at 8 kts., is
relatively economical to operate compared with, say, a semi-displacement
trawler, such as a Grand Banks 42 with twin 3208 Cats running at 14kts.
Then again I buy roughly $40 of diesel per annum.

Well, if you doubled... or quadrupled... that, would it be a major
expense factor? You'd have to cruise at least half time or more
(depending on the boat, I don't think of Nordhavens as particularly
fuel-efficient) to spend on fuel what you already spend on insurance and
taxes. Add in a full-time slip, and fuel becomes almost trivial.

I can tell you this- for what sails & running rigging cost, I can cruise
a long long way in our trawler. We've spent approx $150 on fuel this
year, making 2 cruises of 300+ miles plus going out almost every
weekend, and we've still got more than 1/2 full tanks... which is good,
because now we're running the heater almost full time...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Scott Vernon December 22nd 04 02:45 PM

"Maxprop" wrote
Then again I buy roughly $40 of diesel per annum.

I bought $21,000 worth last year.

Sc otty

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:21 PM

"JG" wrote in message

What's the matter Max, getting upset again?

Don't ascribe your emotions to those of other posters. You're not capable
of making me upset. Bored, perhaps, but not angry.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:25 PM

"Scout" wrote in message

yes; there are Woodrow Wilson High Schools all over the place.
Scout

Oh, that's what *Wilson* they were named after. I was almost positive it
was Tim The-tool-man Taylor's next door neighbor after whom they were named.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:55 PM

Maxprop wrote:
A single engine trawler, such as a Nordhavn 43 running at 8 kts., is
relatively economical to operate compared with, say, a semi-displacement
trawler, such as a Grand Banks 42 with twin 3208 Cats running at 14kts.
Then again I buy roughly $40 of diesel per annum.

Well, if you doubled... or quadrupled... that, would it be a major expense
factor?

No, but $160 won't take you far in even a 35' CWB with a single Ford Lehman
135. We didn't cruise much this past year--no time and ****ty weather--but
still logged around 400 miles, mostly under power. The CWB would have
racked up a $250 diesel bill with the same distance at 8 kts. My friend's
35 CWB with twin 125 Lehmans burns about half a gallon per mile, and another
friend with a similar wood trawler with a single 135 Lehman burns about 1/4
gallon per mile. My boat gets about 8-10 miles per gallon, depending upon
wind and if assisted by sail.

You'd have to cruise at least half time or more (depending on the boat, I
don't think of Nordhavens as particularly fuel-efficient) to spend on fuel
what you already spend on insurance and taxes. Add in a full-time slip,
and fuel becomes almost trivial.

Insurance: approx. $400 for my 34' Sea Sprite, taxes: approx. $60 per
year, not including fuel taxes or sales tax. Grand total of $500, including
fuel expense. If I cruised half the time, I'd have well over 2000 miles in
the trawler, and no trawler I'm familiar with can travel that distance on
$500. More like $1250. And why aren't Nordhavn's fuel efficient? A
Nordhavn 40 with a 140 Lugger or a 101 John Deere and 920 gallons of diesel
can cross the Atlantic, or travel roughly 2750 miles without refueling. Try
that in a Grand Banks with a pair of 3208s, not that GBs are offshore boats
by any stretch.

I can tell you this- for what sails & running rigging cost, I can cruise a
long long way in our trawler.

This is a typical obfuscation of the argument when powerboaters attempt to
compare costs with sailors. No one denies that both types of boats have
expenses, albeit quite different ones. The net costs typically average out
between the two types of boats of similar length and displacement. It's
*pay me now or pay me later.* But we were discussing fuel costs. Period.
And it wasn't my intent to denigrate powerboats or trawlers.

We've spent approx $150 on fuel this year, making 2 cruises of 300+ miles
plus going out almost every weekend, and we've still got more than 1/2 full
tanks... which is good, because now we're running the heater almost full
time...

What type of boat do you have? What power? Sounds quite economical, unless
you only run at 6 or so knots.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 05:56 PM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote
Then again I buy roughly $40 of diesel per annum.

I bought $21,000 worth last year.

You really need to repower, Scoot. That 10,000 shp turbine is gonna
bankrupt you one o' these days.

Max

Maxprop December 22nd 04 06:13 PM

OzOne wrote in message

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 05:05:47 GMT, "Maxprop"
scribbled thusly:

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

I'd have to bring my own boat. Sailing in a storm on an inferior
French boat would frighten me to death . . .

No fan of the Frogs, I have to admit they build some pretty nice boats.
Nothing like the Americans, Canadians, Brits, Fins, or Swedes, mind you,
but
good vessels nonetheless.

Max

That's got to be among the most ridiculous statements ever made here.
Dufour is one of the most respected names in yachting, as is Wauquiez,
Lagoon,Wanda,Multiplast, and yes, even Kirie and Jeanneau!

Of those you list, Henri Wauquiez is far and away the best builder. Dufour,
Lagoon, and the others are Beneteau/Jeanneau-quality boats. Michael Dufour,
for example, markets boats here on the same price points as Beneteau and
Jeanneau.

That said, HW can't touch Henry Hinckley, Tom Morris, Shannon, Pacific
Seacraft, Kanter, Oyster, Moody, Nautor, Baltic, or Hallberg Rassey in terms
of construction quality, design, or longevity. Nothing ridiculous about it.
The frog boats aren't bad, but not up to the standards of the ones I named.
And you know it.

Max

Capt. Neal® December 22nd 04 06:15 PM

Beneteau! You forgot to mention the Kia of sailboats.

CN

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:31:30 +1100, OzOne scribbled thusly:

No fan of the Frogs, I have to admit they build some pretty nice boats.
Nothing like the Americans, Canadians, Brits, Fins, or Swedes, mind you, but
good vessels nonetheless.

Max

That's got to be among the most ridiculous statements ever made here.
Dufour is one of the most respected names in yachting, as is Wauquiez,
Lagoon,Wanda,Multiplast, and yes, even Kirie and Jeanneau!

Oh, and I forgot Fountaine Pajot!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

JG December 22nd 04 06:58 PM

Compared to your Yugo that is....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JG December 22nd 04 06:58 PM

Yup, you're clearly very upset with me. Why's that?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

JG December 22nd 04 07:00 PM

There are lots of Jr. Highs named the same also... I went to one of those.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Scott Vernon December 22nd 04 07:19 PM

"Maxprop" wrote

No, but $160 won't take you far in even a 35' CWB with a single Ford

Lehman
135. We didn't cruise much this past year--no time and ****ty

weather--but
still logged around 400 miles, mostly under power.

400 miles? I put that on in one trip, and I was sailing 98% of the
time.

Scotty

katysails December 22nd 04 10:35 PM

Doug,
I'm not one to put down people for having trawlers..i think they're nice and
have their place...but i can't imagine just taking the trawler out for an
afternoon spin...noisy....just not my thing...

DSK December 22nd 04 10:39 PM

Maxprop wrote:
No, but $160 won't take you far in even a 35' CWB with a single Ford Lehman
135.

It will if the bottoms's clean, engine in good shape, and you know how
to drive.

... We didn't cruise much this past year--no time and ****ty weather--but
still logged around 400 miles, mostly under power. The CWB would have
racked up a $250 diesel bill with the same distance at 8 kts.

Well, that's part of the problem. Going 8 knots is wasteful. At 7 knots
the fuel burn is about half, at 6 1/2 it's less than a quarter.

... My friend's
35 CWB with twin 125 Lehmans burns about half a gallon per mile, and another
friend with a similar wood trawler with a single 135 Lehman burns about 1/4
gallon per mile.

That's still about twice what we burn.

... My boat gets about 8-10 miles per gallon, depending upon
wind and if assisted by sail.

Well, obviously sails don't burn fuel, but they are expensive and have a
limited life span. You could, if you were diligent, figure out how many
miles/$ you got out of sails, but you'd probably prefer to not know.

You'd have to cruise at least half time or more (depending on the boat, I
don't think of Nordhavens as particularly fuel-efficient) to spend on fuel
what you already spend on insurance and taxes. Add in a full-time slip,
and fuel becomes almost trivial.

Insurance: approx. $400 for my 34' Sea Sprite, taxes: approx. $60 per
year, not including fuel taxes or sales tax. Grand total of $500, including
fuel expense. If I cruised half the time, I'd have well over 2000 miles in
the trawler, and no trawler I'm familiar with can travel that distance on
$500. More like $1250.

Only if wasteful. I'd expect to burn half that. Part of it is that with
good fuel capacity, shallow draft, and patience, you can buy at the
cheapest places. For example, our last fuel buy was late summer and
$1.20/gal

... And why aren't Nordhavn's fuel efficient?

They're too beamy and they're dragging an extra prop through the water.

... A
Nordhavn 40 with a 140 Lugger

Which is about twice the power it'll ever realistically need.

or a 101 John Deere and 920 gallons of diesel
can cross the Atlantic, or travel roughly 2750 miles without refueling.

That's still not even 3 miles per gallon.

... Try
that in a Grand Banks with a pair of 3208s, not that GBs are offshore boats
by any stretch.

No twin is fuel efficient, but that's not the point. Twins are supposed
to be fast.

I can tell you this- for what sails & running rigging cost, I can cruise a
long long way in our trawler.

This is a typical obfuscation of the argument when powerboaters attempt to
compare costs with sailors. No one denies that both types of boats have
expenses, albeit quite different ones. The net costs typically average out
between the two types of boats of similar length and displacement. It's
*pay me now or pay me later.* But we were discussing fuel costs. Period.

Right

And it's my point that fuel simply isn't that great an expense, compared
with all the other costs of having & keeping & maintaining the boat.

And it wasn't my intent to denigrate powerboats or trawlers.

I didn't think you were, just making a point.

We've spent approx $150 on fuel this year, making 2 cruises of 300+ miles
plus going out almost every weekend, and we've still got more than 1/2 full
tanks... which is good, because now we're running the heater almost full
time...

What type of boat do you have?

http://community.webshots.com/album/63279185YQtgSA

1984 Sundowner 36

... What power?

Ford Lehman 135 with 2100 hrs, barely broken in. Again, twice as much
power as needed, but it has a nice prop.

... Sounds quite economical, unless
you only run at 6 or so knots.

So? Do you always sail faster than 6 knots?

We generally go 7 to 7 1/2 and burn from somewhat less than 1 to 1 1/2
gph. At 6 kt we burn about 1/2 gph. If I slow down to idle, the boat
goes 4 1/2 and the engine actually pulls in hyrdocarbons from the air,
converts it to diesel fuel, and pumps it into the tanks ;)

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Nav December 22nd 04 10:43 PM

Maxprop wrote:

No, but $160 won't take you far in even a 35' CWB with a single Ford
Lehman 135.

It will if the bottoms's clean, engine in good shape, and you know how
to drive.

... We didn't cruise much this past year--no time and ****ty
weather--but still logged around 400 miles, mostly under power. The
CWB would have racked up a $250 diesel bill with the same distance at
8 kts.

Well, that's part of the problem. Going 8 knots is wasteful. At 7 knots
the fuel burn is about half, at 6 1/2 it's less than a quarter.

Ella can go at 8 knots with nothing more than a fair breeze.

Cheers

For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----

DSK December 22nd 04 10:47 PM

katysails wrote:
Doug,
I'm not one to put down people for having trawlers..i think they're nice and
have their place...but i can't imagine just taking the trawler out for an
afternoon spin...noisy....just not my thing...

It's not noisy, the engine room is very well insulated. At our normal
running speed, you can tell it's running, but you can also hear a
whisper. Throttling up increases the volume obviously, but it's also
wasteful as it primarily makes more wake. The boat will only go about 8
1/4 which is hardly thrilling, so why push it.

It's fun but it's a different kind of fun than sailing. We enjoy
exploring creeks & lagoons that sailboats can't get into. We also enjoy
going out on cold and/or rainy days when sailing is miserable but the
river is still there to be enjoyed. The upper deck gives a perspective
that you don't see from the deck of a sailboat. Inside the pilothouse
you can see wildlife but they can't see you and it seems the boat itself
doesn't threaten them as much.

I have enjoyed tugboating more than I thought I would, it has been a
hoot cruising and just riding around. I need to seek the mental
adjustment for enjoyment of working on it, though.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails December 22nd 04 10:49 PM

Like I said, I'm not going to run down anyone;'s boat...I know people who
have chartered trawler's and had a great time, but it'sust not for me. I'm
always quite thankful when we make iot throught he channel to lake Michigan
and can turn the blasted thing off....

Capt. Neal® December 22nd 04 10:59 PM

So you enjoy that wildlife which you proceed to pollute out of
existence? You, sir, are totally selfish and irresponsible with
your pollution machine. You disgust me.

CN

Donal December 22nd 04 11:53 PM

"Scout" wrote in message

I've been in many very old homes. In general, they're beautiful but too
inefficiency for my liking. I like the modern building materials,
waterproofed basements, tall basements, superior electrical and plumbing
systems, and so forth.

We have running water too! We even have electricity in most of the rooms.

Furthermore, I'll have a real fire burning on Christmas day! I think that
we'll start with logs (from our garden), and later we'll use coal.

Regards

Donal

Horvath December 23rd 04 02:57 AM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:53:45 -0000, "Donal"
wrote this crap:

We have running water too! We even have electricity in most of the rooms.

Such looxury! I have to go out to the well for water. And I need to
get batteries if'n I wants lectrissity.

Furthermore, I'll have a real fire burning on Christmas day! I think that
we'll start with logs (from our garden), and later we'll use coal.

I have a screen saver that looks like a fireplace.

katysails December 23rd 04 03:06 AM

WGN in Chicago is supposedly going to show a picture of a burning log in a
fireplace on Christmas Eve with carols playing in the background...think
I'll just throw a real log on in one fireplace and turn the gas logs on in
the other and turn up the CD player...