BoatBanter.com

-   -   What was it like 4 U (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/26195-what-like-4-u.html)

Scout December 20th 04 10:31 AM

Hi Thom,
Berks County (not too far from Scotty); still teaching; I teach in
Montgomery County, never taught at Truman (I graduated from there though,
before it was called Truman).
Scout

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Hey Scout,

Where are you building? Are you still teaching? Still at Truman?

OT

Horvath December 20th 04 11:59 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:33:52 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

Sorry, butt if you're technically female, I'm not interested.

Do you have to gay up every thread?

JG December 20th 04 06:14 PM

"Horvath" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:33:52 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

Sorry, but if you're technically female, I'm not interested.

Do you have to gay up every thread?

Bell December 20th 04 08:21 PM

Scott Vernon wrote:
"katysails" wrote in message
You need to come down and visit MYC....
...there are no gold ankle bracelets, the guys drink
inferior beer, and us women run around naked as
jaybirds....

Sounds like my kind of place.

Scotty

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

katysails December 20th 04 10:40 PM

They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Donal" wrote in message

Heh .... we haven't heard about the "Sea of Michigan" for a while.

Oddly enough, Lake Michigan and the other GLs aren't really lakes at all.
They would more correctly be termed inland seas. And I'll take the
Roaring Forties any day over Lake Michigan in hurricane force winds. The
southern ocean will get very, very big, but Lake M. will have almost no
spacing between the 40' waves, meaning a small boat will fall off the
waves into the trough as if dropped off a three-story building. Many a
salty skipper sailing container and bulk freighters from abroad have been
humbled by the GLs. Among the most oft-repeated tales in European and
Asian ports are those of storms on the Great Lakes.

Max

katysails December 20th 04 11:00 PM

There was one weekend when we drove up to Frankfort...that's the only
weekend we weren't on the boat this fall....

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"katysails" wrote in message

Nope..I don't....the past two summers we've done a lot of sailing with
our granddaughters, exploring, and in general, not having to deal with
dock life...the switch to a mooring was not just a financial
consideration....

I'm sure there are occasions when you miss it, but in generally I'm
sympathetic with your reasoning. We, too, considered a mooring, but all
the available moorings on WL are at the YC or Margaritaville, meaning lots
of boat wake and idiot powerboaters blasting through the mooring field at
all hours. Further it is a hassle to deal with Niki's needs from a
mooring. But I love being on a mooring, mostly because we aren't bothered
by others, we have some privacy, and the view is superior. When we travel
we almost never rent a slip, preferring to anchor instead. And after
doing so for years, we've arrived at the conclusion that the GLs are too
crowded. This past fall we sailed down to Muskegon Lake one weekend, just
to get away from the dock and the noise. We anchored about 100 yards from
your mooring, but never saw you guys. Must have been a weekend you
weren't up at the lake.

Max

katysails December 20th 04 11:03 PM

Well, with a boat that size you need someone to assist...I think the
"assist" is pretty well not willing...the 42 was an accommodation rather
than a cottage, I believe...she wanted a trawler....the 30 used to go out
several times a weekend...
"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"katysails" wrote in message

M. B. ...before you arrived, he sailed ALL the time...over the years, and
as the boats got bigger, he began to take on the "boat as cottage"
attitude...many of the people who were originally on the dock that were
sailors have left for other parts.. a few are down here in Muskegon...

Interesting. You do know that they have a Catalina 42 now, doncha? And
while he still sails, the boat doesn't go out as much as the 36 did. I
didn't know him when he owned the 30, so I guess you could be right. He's
gotten the 42 crosswise in the fairways a couple of times in a breeze, so
I think he tends to keep it tied up more than before when it's blowing.
As an aside, I've noticed this trend with most people who've gone to
larger and larger boats. Sailing frequency and size vary inversely, it
would seem.

Max

Scott Vernon December 20th 04 11:18 PM

OzOne wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:32:14 -0500, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

he tried to get into Plowville, but wasn't accepted.

Scotty

Too much diversity in his genes?

Too many holes in his jeans.

Donal December 21st 04 12:32 AM

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Donal" wrote in message

If having a new house is something to be proud of, then I must hang my
head
in shame. Parts of my house are older than your country!!

The most beautiful house I've ever seen was a 400 year old place in

Sweden.
Nothing built in the last 200 years can approach the details, materials,

and
interest of that place. New homes are sterile, austere, and cheap looking
by comparison with even those built 60 years ago. Unless your place is
falling in around your shoulders, you have something to engender immense
pride.

Unfortunately, it used to be a stable!! It has character, but no great
architectural merit.

Regards

Donal

Capt. Neal® December 21st 04 01:14 AM

C'mon, Katy. A lake is a lake is a lake.

Do come down and sail with me sometime. I will show you
a glimpse of the challenge and beauty of blue water sailing.
You will never be happy with your little lake again.

CN

"katysails" wrote in message ...
They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

katysails December 21st 04 03:08 AM

Neal
I've sailed on the Gulf...Thought it was quite boring....you could set your
sails and then not have to do anything else...just sit there...I prefer the
wild and wooly sailing on Lake Michigan, thank you very much. Fall sailing
in Michigan is the best. You get a good breeze of around 15 knots and 2-4
footers...weather is just cool enough that you don't have to grease yourself
down with sunscreen...it's invigorating and refreshing instead of hot and
sticky...You travel up here and go sailing with us...we'll take you out in a
storm...

"katysails" wrote in message
They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:01 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

There was one weekend when we drove up to Frankfort...that's the only
weekend we weren't on the boat this fall....

Maybe we just know how to pick 'em. Actually there was evidence that you
guys might have been there. We didn't get closer than where we were
anchored, but it looked as if the companionway might have been partly open.
We didn't see any activity, so we stayed away, thinking you guys might be
napping or *something.* Chopper usually rears his head sooner or later if
you're aboard.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:02 AM

"Bell" wrote in message

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

For the same reason that most people you'd never want to see naked are
nudists.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:05 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

Well, with a boat that size you need someone to assist...I think the
"assist" is pretty well not willing...the 42 was an accommodation rather
than a cottage, I believe...she wanted a trawler....the 30 used to go out
several times a weekend...

Lots of the anti-sailing women who own sailboats are talking trawler these
days. Some say it's a natural evolutionary trend with sailors. I say it's
a lazy trend. Trawlers--the full displacement types--go no faster than a
40' sailboat and leave the dock even less.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:10 AM

"JG" wrote in message

I believe it's a domestic bamboo, but who cares about a communist bear?

Domestic bamboo? Whazzat? Something grown next to the cannabis out in the
Bay Area?

Pandas aren't communist--they are quite solitary, they work hard at
procuring their food, and no other species, or even other bears, sponge off
them for food, clothing, or shelter. They are truly entrepreneurial
capitalists, despite where they reside.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:11 AM

"Scout" wrote in message

Hi Thom,
Berks County (not too far from Scotty); still teaching; I teach in
Montgomery County, never taught at Truman (I graduated from there though,
before it was called Truman).

Harry S. or Capote?

Max

Thom Stewart December 21st 04 05:15 AM

My son graduaed from there, when it was Wilson. 1969
ot

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:19 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

They won't believe you....none of them would ever come here and see for
themselves...

Their loss. And hell, the GLs are too crowded the way it is. Don't entice
anyone . . .

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:23 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

Neal
I've sailed on the Gulf...Thought it was quite boring....you could set
your sails and then not have to do anything else...just sit there...I
prefer the wild and wooly sailing on Lake Michigan, thank you very much.
Fall sailing in Michigan is the best. You get a good breeze of around 15
knots and 2-4 footers...weather is just cool enough that you don't have to
grease yourself down with sunscreen...it's invigorating and refreshing
instead of hot and sticky...You travel up here and go sailing with
us...we'll take you out in a storm...

Don't encourage him, Katy. I'd hate to see you and Mr. Sails fall overboard
with raucous laughter when the good Captain's eyes assume the size of tennis
balls and his lower jaw hits the deck upon his first experience with an
8-10' closely-spaced Lake M. chop. At the very least he should be polite
enough to bring his own harness and lanyard, plus a remedy for mal-de-mer.

Max

Maxprop December 21st 04 05:25 AM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

I bet the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald might have something to

say.

That was just one boat. How about that year (1917 maybe??) when

over 30
bulk freighters went to the bottom?

Yeah but only the EF had a song written about it.

No. I've written songs about every damn one of those 30 stinking boats, but
so far no one's had the good sense to publish or record them. That *******
Lightfoot won't even return my calls.

Max

Lady Pilot December 21st 04 08:15 AM

"Donal" wrote:
If having a new house is something to be proud of, then I must hang my
head
in shame. Parts of my house are older than your country!!

You still have your house in Ireland?

LP

Lady Pilot December 21st 04 08:32 AM

"Joe" wrote

I was going to get Bob a directing job fiming the flick version but
after his dis'n me as bb Im not so sure.

Let me know if you ever get the movie project off the ground. I have a
friend that might be interested. He was co-Producer on the Godfather III.
He's back home now in OKC. Last time we had dinner together he was working
on a movie about Wiley Post and was needing technical advise on stunt
pilots, etc.

http://theoscarsite.com/whoswho5/frederickson_g.htm

Of course for my help, you will have to get me an actor's role in the movie.
:-)

LP

Scout December 21st 04 08:59 AM

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Scout" wrote in message

Hi Thom,
Berks County (not too far from Scotty); still teaching; I teach in
Montgomery County, never taught at Truman (I graduated from there though,
before it was called Truman).

Harry S. or Capote?

whichever one dropped those bombs

Scout December 21st 04 09:00 AM

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
My son graduaed from there, when it was Wilson. 1969
ot

I didn't realize you had roots here Thom. I graduated Wilson in 74.
Small world.
Scout

Scout December 21st 04 09:21 AM

"Donal" wrote
If having a new house is something to be proud of, then I must hang my
head
in shame. Parts of my house are older than your country!!

In fact my family has had homes older than our country too. My German
ancestors farmhouse was used as a commissary by Geo. Washington at Valley
Forge. It's still named after my family even though it's now publicly owned
(Valley Forge Park).
I've been in many very old homes. In general, they're beautiful but too
inefficiency for my liking. I like the modern building materials,
waterproofed basements, tall basements, superior electrical and plumbing
systems, and so forth.
Scout

Thom Stewart December 21st 04 04:01 PM

Scout,

An insulation in the newer homes. Some of those old houses built with
sheathing planks and clapboard siding are the coldest, driftiest
creation of man!

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal® December 21st 04 08:46 PM

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message news:0dRxd.19401$F25.9969@okepread07...

"Joe" wrote

I was going to get Bob a directing job fiming the flick version but
after his dis'n me as bb Im not so sure.

Let me know if you ever get the movie project off the ground. I have a
friend that might be interested. He was co-Producer on the Godfather III.
He's back home now in OKC. Last time we had dinner together he was working
on a movie about Wiley Post and was needing technical advise on stunt
pilots, etc.

http://theoscarsite.com/whoswho5/frederickson_g.htm

Of course for my help, you will have to get me an actor's role in the movie.
:-)

LP

Oh oh! Maybe BinaryBill is right about your being a man.
A woman would surely ask for an actress role, not an actor's role.

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

CN

Capt. Neal® December 21st 04 08:47 PM

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Scout,

An insulation in the newer homes. Some of those old houses built with
sheathing planks and clapboard siding are the coldest, driftiest
creation of man!

Ole Thom

Second only to a pilothouse with big, dangerous and cold
windows.

CN

Capt. Neal® December 21st 04 09:24 PM

Yes, but on fine, blue water vessel with positive flotation it's
a safe and snug feeling. Better than a life raft.

CN

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:43:40 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

I'd have to bring my own boat. Sailing in a storm on an inferior
French boat would frighten me to death . . .

CN

Sailing a storm in any boat should frighten you...it's a very healthy
reaction!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Donal December 21st 04 11:57 PM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Oh oh! Maybe BinaryBill is right about your being a man.
A woman would surely ask for an actress role, not an actor's role.

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

LP = JG???

Regards

Donal

JG December 22nd 04 01:21 AM

I'm not a dyke.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

katysails December 22nd 04 01:29 AM

See ing that our wonderful French boat ahs made it through several storms
with wave heights of 15' and winds gusting over 35, I don't think you'd have
much to fear. And seeing as how in those conditions, I'm the one who crawls
the deck because I'm nimble and quick would make it even safer for you.
Why, we'd even let you stay down in the quarter berth with Choppie....he'd
like some company since we don't allow him above when we're to
weather...You'd have to promise to take a bucket in there with you,
though...I refuse to clean up after pukers...

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

I'd have to bring my own boat. Sailing in a storm on an inferior
French boat would frighten me to death . . .

CN

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

Scott Vernon December 22nd 04 02:17 AM

"JG" wrote in message

I'm not manly enough to be a dyke.

katysails December 22nd 04 02:19 AM

If we were aboard, the dinghy would have been floating off the back...we
might have rowed in to go to the store or something...too bad...next time
give us a holler....you guys are always welcome...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...