BoatBanter.com

-   -   What was it like 4 U (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/26195-what-like-4-u.html)

DSK December 17th 04 11:46 AM

Thom Stewart wrote:
Picture of a fine entry

Looks like a fine vessel in most respects, Thom!

DSK

katysails December 17th 04 12:07 PM

High and dry is a better thing...even if it was warm and dry enough to sail
Lake Michigan does strange things in the winter time....like 20 ft waves
with very short intervals...the kind that take out the big lakers...having
spoken with people all over, I've found that even when you live in better
climes there are still reasons why you can't sail: hurricanes, interminate
rain, doldrums, excessive hear, etc. We all suffer some malady from
weather...my philosophy has become more enjoy every moment when the moment
is upon you rather than bemoaning. Especially since Mr Sails keeps looking
at his birthplace for our retirement rather than south (he was born in
Marquette, Mi, about 5 miles from the artic circle...that's a joke...)
"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Katy,

I think Neal's name was simply "Chiguita" but it was in reference to the
Banana song.

Now he is hedging on Mr Everything Right because of time. Not that he
neglected proper use.

I also, Checked his story about the Keel from his own "Web Site" Along
with the pictures, Some of his asinine comments.

His rebuttals really don't have a real Neal way about them, So be it,
they do make interesting comments

How's it feel being high and dry ? I haven't been that way in
thirty-five years.
Luck of the draw on work transfer!

Guess I can't give you the;"I'll drink to that!" You know better but
I'm a happy old man out here.

Ole Thom

Maxprop December 17th 04 02:22 PM

"katysails" wrote in message

High and dry is a better thing...even if it was warm and dry enough to

sail
Lake Michigan does strange things in the winter time....like 20 ft waves
with very short intervals...the kind that take out the big lakers...having
spoken with people all over, I've found that even when you live in better
climes there are still reasons why you can't sail: hurricanes,

interminate
rain, doldrums, excessive hear, etc. We all suffer some malady from
weather...my philosophy has become more enjoy every moment when the moment
is upon you rather than bemoaning. Especially since Mr Sails keeps

looking
at his birthplace for our retirement rather than south (he was born in
Marquette, Mi, about 5 miles from the artic circle...that's a joke...)

I had a recent chat with someone who spoke with Lee T. (remember him? the
guy with the flag blue 28' Morris Linda) who moved his boat to the FL
panhandle some years back. He used to put his boat on the hard during the
summer there--claimed it was just too hot to sail. Not sure I agree, but I
guess he sold his boat or is considering selling it. Just not the same as
the sailing/camaraderie/weather in Michigan, so it seems. While MI may have
brutal winters, there's no free lunch (in sailing parlance) until you get
closer to the equator where the trades blow and keep you comfortable and
moving along.

I expect some flames on this.

Max

Scott Vernon December 17th 04 04:52 PM

There are times around here when the heat and, more so, the humidity
make it so darn uncomfortable that swimming takes precedence over
sailing. And forget about sleeping on the boat.

Scotty

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

DSK December 17th 04 05:16 PM

Maxprop wrote:
I had a recent chat with someone who spoke with Lee T. (remember him? the
guy with the flag blue 28' Morris Linda) who moved his boat to the FL
panhandle some years back. He used to put his boat on the hard during the
summer there--claimed it was just too hot to sail. Not sure I agree, but I
guess he sold his boat or is considering selling it.

I can see his point of view. In the summer, it's not only hot as blazes
but there's no wind. What's the point of trying to go "sailing" in that?

OTOH once you become acclimated, there are lots of great sailing days
all year. Fewer in the high summer, or the dead of winter, but (for
example) for about 15 years I maintained a tradition of sailing every
New Years Day. It brought good luck. Some of those sails were very
enjoyable, some were "pro forma" and brief.

... Just not the same as
the sailing/camaraderie/weather in Michigan, so it seems.

I think you can find camaraderie everywhere.

... While MI may have
brutal winters, there's no free lunch (in sailing parlance) until you get
closer to the equator where the trades blow and keep you comfortable and
moving along.

There are plusses and minusses to every location.

I expect some flames on this.

Why? Your prior behavior?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thom Stewart December 17th 04 06:38 PM

Hey Spelling Nazis;

Back at you; That is Mid-boom not Mid-bood. Thanks for the correction on
the Scheel

Ole Thom

John Cairns December 17th 04 08:05 PM

"katysails" wrote in message
High and dry is a better thing...even if it was warm and dry enough to
sail Lake Michigan does strange things in the winter time....like 20 ft
waves with very short intervals...the kind that take out the big
lakers...having spoken with people all over, I've found that even when you
live in better climes there are still reasons why you can't sail:
hurricanes, interminate rain, doldrums, excessive hear, etc. We all
suffer some malady from weather...my philosophy has become more enjoy
every moment when the moment is upon you rather than bemoaning.
Especially since Mr Sails keeps looking at his birthplace for our
retirement rather than south (he was born in Marquette, Mi, about 5 miles
from the artic circle...that's a joke...)
"Thom Stewart" wrote in message

Interesting statistic I read a while back, even world cruisers spend a lot
more time at anchor than they do sailing. I think the percentages were 2/3
anchored, 1/3 sailing.

John Cairns

Capt. Neal® December 17th 04 10:53 PM

Old Thom,

I'm designing a heavy duty, super powerful, high BTU, industrial-sized, cabin heater
for your boat. Those pilot houses like yours are so big and ugly and so poorly insulated
and so much of a hazard in a seaway that giving you the option of a powerful cabin
heater that is capable of heating all that empty space and dead weight way high
up above the center of gravity might make you so comfortable that you don't venture
forth and endanger your life. If something were to happen to you, why all the stocks
in the liquor companies would plunge.

CN

katysails December 18th 04 02:04 AM

Poor Lee...he never should have moved south...I thought he was going to land
in the Chesapeake somewhere and travel back and forth to FL from
there....That boat was a cool boat to sail but it sure was wet and sure did
sail to weather...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

Maxprop December 18th 04 03:27 AM

"katysails" wrote in message

Poor Lee...he never should have moved south...I thought he was going to

land
in the Chesapeake somewhere and travel back and forth to FL from
there....That boat was a cool boat to sail but it sure was wet and sure

did
sail to weather...

We really miss Lee around the dock. He was a great sport, and now we don't
have a flaming liberal to pick on. He was also the most dedicated
singlehander I've ever known. I sailed with him several times and found him
to be competent and unflappable. Wish he'd come back home to A-Dock.

Max

Capt. Neal® December 18th 04 03:48 AM

Poor Katysails.

Rationalizing your poor choice of a place to live when it comes
to sailing fools nobody here who knows what sailing really is.

That means two or three of us. Myself, Joe and Michael.

The remainder think in a similar vein to you. Evade the truth.
Make up excuses. Let your life revolve around a house ashore.

Even Lady Pilot whom many of you deride has realistic dreams
of cruising while you sorry lot only pretend to wish to sail
extensively because pretend is all you can do with your
lack of gumption and nerve to leave the land behind and
become a real sailor.

CN

CN

katysails December 18th 04 04:59 AM

Neal,
Even the ancient mariners used to come home....to land....get off your high
horse. You don't sail any more than the rest of us do. Quite frankly, after
having viewed the liveaboards in Fort Myers area, I can live without that
type of "sailing". You want to live in that kind of squalor, be my guest.
I imagine Joe lives a great deal better than you do, as does Haggie. They
have decent boats with some size to them. You are no better than a sardine
in a can. It;s amazing your cat doesn't mistake you and serve you up for
dinner with some mustard.

Capt. Neal® December 18th 04 05:05 AM

Oh oh, sounds like I caught a big Katyfish with that troll.
He he. It pays to use bait that has some truth to really
reel 'em in fast.

Now, should I cook her with lemon and butter?

CN

Capt. Neal® December 19th 04 04:14 AM

That's right. I spent most of the year sailing. Is that not
demonstrating it. While most of my critics hung out here
talking about sailing, I was out doing it. That's reality.

What is your frame of reference?

CN

"Dave" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:42:43 -0500, Capt. Neal®
said:

You people just will never know how pathetic your silly ramblings
sound to a real sailor who knows deep in his heart that a dock
equals a slum for wannabe sailors.

Neal, a real sailor doesn't have to tell people he's a real sailor. He
demonstrates it.

Dave

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:19 AM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

It's terribly sad when people's entire life is defined by a dock
with a letter designation.

My entire life isn't defined by a dock with a letter designation. Well,
okay, maybe it is.

You people just will never know how pathetic your silly ramblings
sound to a real sailor who knows deep in his heart that a dock
equals a slum for wannabe sailors.

And you have a problem with that? g

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:21 AM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

That's right. I spent most of the year sailing. Is that not
demonstrating it. While most of my critics hung out here
talking about sailing, I was out doing it. That's reality.

What is your frame of reference?

Is that a rhetorical question like "What's in your wallet?"

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:25 AM

"Overproof" wrote in message

It saves him water..... the cat gives him a tongue bath.

. . . which adds veracity to my contention that cats have no standards
whatsoever.

Max

Capt. Neal® December 19th 04 04:26 AM

Docks and people who store their boats on them are a definite
threat.

Take the Bahamas, for example. The docks draw thieves like
a rotting carcass draws vultures. These thieves eventually
look at anchored boats and attempt to rob them as well.

Docks cause a massive outflow of raw sewage because we
all know people on docks just flush their crap overboard.

Docks are a haven for rats, seagulls, stray dogs and
people with criminal backgrounds who want to evade
the law.

Docks are a hurricane hazard because they often break
up and loose and drift down on anchored boats causing
them to be damaged when they otherwise would have been
quite safe.

Docks are an oily place with people pumping bilge water
and polluting the entire area around the docks.

Docks are noisy and uncivilized.

Need I continue.

CN

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:32 AM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

It's so very absurd when I read a post where you actually
referred to Katy having here boat on a mooring as if she
were some kind of second class citizen compared to you
high and might dockers. Bwahahhahahahhahahahhahahha.

Laugh, will you . . .Katy has no electricity to run the blender for the
preparation of rum drinks, she has no umbrella under which to bask and no
lounge chairs upon which to sit while drinking rum drinks, and she has no
immediately-available neighbors with whom to party while drinking the
aforementioned rum drinks. Those stipulations, alone, qualify her as a
second-class citizen.

What's it take to live at a dock besides a desire to be
a zoo animal in a cage for all gawkers to look at as if
you were some kind of freak.

We are, indeed, animals. Or at least we can be. God, I love the dock
lifestyle.

At least Katy is one step closer to being a real sailor
than you will ever be so you're acting so superior to
her shows how uninformed about sailing you really are.

Sailing? Who gives a **** about sailing. We're talking some serious rum
drinking here, you moron. Get a life. Sheesh.

Max

Scout December 19th 04 07:40 AM

IMHO, many true sailors are asocial creatures. A desire to be a sailor
speaks more about personality type than about a boat. I truly hated being in
a marina; I sail to get away from people. At the dock, there were too many
people, and they never stopped talking. So it didn't matter what time I got
to my boat, I always got the hell out of the slip and anchored somewhere
quiet.
My little piece of heaven is called N39.63778 W74.21002.

I'm more passionate about sailing than my posts might indicate. When I'm
sailing, I temporarily cut the bonds that tie me to other people. That is
the thing! The wind is free and the water won't be owned. The land is too
old and changes too slowly for me to understand it, but the water seems to
transition at a rate more in keeping with my life's passing. When I'm on the
water, I feel as though I can live several lifetimes in a single day.

When I reach the good Captain's age, I hope to have a boat large enough for
extended voyages. It may be on many days that the voyage is only to my
mooring; I can be happy on those days too. But never would I be happy at a
dock.

Scout

katysails December 19th 04 01:52 PM

Docks and people who store their boats on them are a definite
threat.

Get real.

Take the Bahamas, for example. The docks draw thieves like
a rotting carcass draws vultures. These thieves eventually
look at anchored boats and attempt to rob them as well.

It's mooring fields that usually draw thieves around here. Dovks are
surrounded by marinas that usually have security systems. Other thing is,
most marinas in W. Michigan are in small tourist towns where there is very
little crime to ebgin with...

Docks cause a massive outflow of raw sewage because we
all know people on docks just flush their crap overboard.

Great Lakes: everything is capped off. You can't dump anything. You must
go to a pump out station.

Docks are a haven for rats, seagulls, stray dogs and
people with criminal backgrounds who want to evade
the law.

A dock had a pair of mink several years running...they were cute but you had
to be careful not to get too close...

Docks are a hurricane hazard because they often break
up and loose and drift down on anchored boats causing
them to be damaged when they otherwise would have been
quite safe.

Don't have an hurricanes here and they pick up the docks before hard winter
sets in...

Docks are an oily place with people pumping bilge water
and polluting the entire area around the docks.

That's another no-no here....you can get a massive fine from the DNR for
doing that...

Docks are noisy and uncivilized.

I'll give you that one...

Need I continue.

CN
"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

katysails December 19th 04 02:00 PM

Laugh, will you . . .Katy has no electricity to run the blender for the
preparation of rum drinks,

I never had a blender when I was at a dock....no loss....

she has no umbrella under which to bask

yes, I do...we have a cockpit
umbrella : P

and no
lounge chairs upon which to sit while drinking rum drinks,

I don't drink rum drinks Except for rum and diet coke they're full of
sugar...) and I have a fine cockpit where I can sit if I want...if I want a
lounge chair, I have a POOL WITH LOUNGE CHAIRAS that I can row to if I so
desire (nyah-nyah you don't have a pool)

and she has no
immediately-available neighbors with whom to party while drinking

I belong to a yacht club...get real...

the
aforementioned rum drinks. Those stipulations, alone, qualify her as a
second-class citizen.

Only if you're using the citizenship requirements for A dock...

Sailing? Who gives a **** about sailing.

I do...

katysails December 19th 04 02:04 PM

You're right, Scout. What we saw happen over the years was people who were
sailors turn into people who weren't. (Max is not included in that
group...he does sail...a lot...) The dock lifestyle took over the sailing
lifestyle.

Scott Vernon December 19th 04 02:44 PM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote

Docks are a haven for rats, seagulls, stray dogs and
people with criminal backgrounds who want to evade
the law.

Wonder where Haggy's been?

Scotty

Scott Vernon December 19th 04 02:48 PM

"Scout" wrote ...

I'm more passionate about sailing than my posts might indicate. When

I'm
sailing, I temporarily cut the bonds that tie me to other people.

That is
the thing! The wind is free and the water won't be owned. The land

is too
old and changes too slowly for me to understand it, but the water

seems to
transition at a rate more in keeping with my life's passing. When

I'm on the
water, I feel as though I can live several lifetimes in a single

day.

Is that why you sold your boat?

Scotty

Steelers = 13 - 1

Scout December 19th 04 02:53 PM

"Scott Vernon" wrote
Is that why you sold your boat?

Exactly!

Steelers = 13 - 1

by 4:30 today, the Eagles will also be 13-1.
Scout

Scott Vernon December 19th 04 02:58 PM

Does 'A' dock mean something special at your marina? At mine, it seems
the bigger ($$$$) boats are on A dock and get smaller as the letter
gets higher. Is this the norm.

My wife asked me one time if A dock meant something. Seems this woman,
wearing tons of jewelry (powerboater?) struck up a conversation with
her and repeatedly mentioned , with emphasis, that they were on A
dock.

Scotty ( E- docker )

ink.net...

Scott Vernon December 19th 04 02:59 PM

Most likely.

"Scott Vernon" wrote

Maxprop December 19th 04 03:42 PM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Docks and people who store their boats on them are a definite
threat.

Amen to that, bro. Get anywhere near us and you'll get drunk just from
being in the same atmosphere. Dangerous.

Take the Bahamas, for example. The docks draw thieves like
a rotting carcass draws vultures. These thieves eventually
look at anchored boats and attempt to rob them as well.

Doubtful. After stealing all our rum, they'd be too drunk to make that leap
of illogic.

Docks cause a massive outflow of raw sewage because we
all know people on docks just flush their crap overboard.

Sorry, gotta be serious on this one. Not in the Great Lakes. Verboten,
strictly. In fact if you have a Y-valve that isn't wired in the holding
tank position and sealed with a USCG-accepted method, you can be charged,
fined, and your boat confiscated. Our waters are so clean you can see all
the goose feces resting on the bottom.

Docks are a haven for rats, seagulls, stray dogs and
people with criminal backgrounds who want to evade
the law.

Yup. That would be us, fer sure.

Docks are a hurricane hazard because they often break
up and loose and drift down on anchored boats causing
them to be damaged when they otherwise would have been
quite safe.

One can only hope.

Docks are an oily place with people pumping bilge water
and polluting the entire area around the docks.

That's not bilge water--that's vomit. But the alcohol content of the vomit
renders it essentially bacteria-free.

Docks are noisy and uncivilized.

Why do you think we rent slips there? Duh.

Need I continue.

No, you can die tomorrow, if that's what floats your boat. Or is that what
you meant? Oops, sorry.

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 03:47 PM

"katysails" wrote in message

A dock had a pair of mink several years running...they were cute but you

had
to be careful not to get too close...

One scurried down the dock this year, headed for land. Ran right between
Reggie and Niki. Took all we could do to restrain the dogs, lest the toothy
bugger rip 'em to shreds.

Don't have an hurricanes here and they pick up the docks before hard

winter
sets in...

Actually they don't pick them up. At least not at any of the marinas on
White Lake. Occasionally the ice does some damage, but the cost of pulling
docks each year would be far greater than periodic repairs.

Docks are noisy and uncivilized.

I'll give you that one...

Yeah, and I'll bet you miss the hell outta that, doncha?

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 03:57 PM

"katysails" wrote in message

I don't drink rum drinks

Yes, I recall that now. Isn't that why you were banished from A-dock?

Except for rum and diet coke they're full of
sugar...)

Nay, nay, sister. Rum and diet tonic. Dark and Stormy, made with diet
ginger beer. Sipping rum, neat. I could go on for hours. You're talking
to a rumophile here.

and I have a fine cockpit where I can sit if I want...if I want a
lounge chair, I have a POOL WITH LOUNGE CHAIRAS that I can row to if I so
desire (nyah-nyah you don't have a pool)

Well, perhaps not in the same sense as YOU YACHTIES, AT YOUR YACHT CLUB!!!!
But Luke's cockpit scuppers plug up now and then, affording us a nice warm
hot tub, at least until his littlist daughter pees in it and sends us
scrambling.

and she has no
immediately-available neighbors with whom to party while drinking

I belong to a yacht club...get real...

Oh yeah, I forgot. But having an afternoon sherry in Waterford crystal in
the lanai with fellow yachties, all wearing your Bretton Reds and blue serge
blazers, just ain't the same as sloshing rum with buds.

the
aforementioned rum drinks. Those stipulations, alone, qualify her as a
second-class citizen.

Only if you're using the citizenship requirements for A dock...

Requirements? Requirements? We don't need no stinking requirements.

Sailing? Who gives a **** about sailing.

I do...

Please don't tell Neal this, but I really prefer to be on the hook or on a
mooring. And much prefer to be under way, going somewhere. So does Clover.
But I'd hate to disappoint him, he's having such a good time trolling for
dock inhabitants.

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:00 PM

wrote in message

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:00:30 GMT, "katysails"
wrote:

I don't drink rum drinks Except for rum and diet coke they're full of
sugar...)

Any idea what rum is made out of?

Cane sugar. But properly-distilled rum is extremely dry, meaning the sugar
is completely fermented and any residual sugar is cooked off. Some rums,
like those horrible flavored or "spiced" rums have a dosage, or sugar and
flavors added, but only a complete imbecile would deign to drink them.

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:03 PM

"Scout" wrote in message

My little piece of heaven is called N39.63778 W74.21002.

Not any more. I'm entering those coordinates into my GPS as we speak. See
ya soon. Oh, and I'm bringing friends--lots of friends. Like powerboats
and gensets, do ya? Loud stereos and people communicating via hailers?
Sorry.

When I reach the good Captain's age, I hope to have a boat large enough

for
extended voyages.

If you plan to sail solo, a Pacific Seacraft Flicka is large enough for
extended voyages. Many have done so on less. How big a boat do you
envision you'll require?

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:09 PM

"katysails" wrote in message

You're right, Scout. What we saw happen over the years was people who

were
sailors turn into people who weren't. (Max is not included in that
group...he does sail...a lot...) The dock lifestyle took over the sailing
lifestyle.

I disagree, Katy. (not about the part about me, however) I think A-dock
has been rife with non-sailors who own sailboats from the get-go. Most
women don't like to sail at all. You and my better half are exceptions to
that rule. And many of the men would never consider throwing the lines in
anything over 15kts. of wind. Most are distinctly fair-weather sailors, and
always have been. There's more interest in keeping one's decks spotless and
adding all the latest electronics and go-fasts than in actually sailing
their boats.

I honestly can't recall anyone who formerly sailed a lot and then mutated
into a dock-bound hound. I'll stand corrected if you can give me an
example.

Max

Maxprop December 19th 04 04:11 PM

"Scout" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote
Is that why you sold your boat?

Exactly!

Let me see if I've got this straight: you love the solitude, the solo
adventure, the self-sufficiency of sailing so much that you are now
boatless?

Okay, I'm confused.

Max

katysails December 19th 04 04:27 PM

At Crosswinds Marina in Whitehall, there are three docks, A,B, and C. A is
the notorious party dock, B is where the quieter folks spend their time and
gripe about A dock and C is where the charter fishing boats and vessels over
40 ft usually abide. Has nothing to do wiyth powerboaters, since there
aren't that many of them in the matrina and those that are live peacefully
with the sailing people and oftentime crew.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Does 'A' dock mean something special at your marina? At mine, it seems
the bigger ($$$$) boats are on A dock and get smaller as the letter
gets higher. Is this the norm.

My wife asked me one time if A dock meant something. Seems this woman,
wearing tons of jewelry (powerboater?) struck up a conversation with
her and repeatedly mentioned , with emphasis, that they were on A
dock.

Scotty ( E- docker )

ink.net...

Scout December 19th 04 04:28 PM

Sold the boat while I building a new home. I need the cash.
Planning a bigger boat (30-35 ft) later, but must suffer through now to get
there.
Scout

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...